McDermott contract extension

Estro

Make no mistake.

The NFL at the organizational level is a relatively small fraternity.

If the Bills showed anything but respect and appreciation for what has has happened the last three years, we would hve great difficulty attractive competitive, highly respected staff.

Buffalo is not Dallas.

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

Make no mistake.

The NFL at the organizational level is a relatively small fraternity.

If the Bills showed anything but respect and appreciation for what has has happened the last three years, we would hve great difficulty attractive competitive, highly respected staff.

Buffalo is not Dallas.

No offense, but this was almost unreadable.  What are you trying to say?

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

It seems to me the people who feel this was premature are primarily stats people.

THIS is his record for his first three year.

He's .500 career and 0-2 in the playoffs.

When you mostly rely on stats, you lose full sight of everything else that has been going on...things that don't show up on paper, but long-time Bills fans know in their hearts. This team can suddenly win games they're supposed to win. And they're winning games you'd expect them to lose. The Dallas Thanksgiving Day was the clincher for me. A prime-time road game with everyone in the country watching? That's a game the Bills have puked up for years. But McDermott had them ready to play.

Hell, one of the best Bills moments in years shows you the kind of team this guy is putting together. How do you watch these videos without understanding that McDermott leads them to be this kind of team. How do you watch them, think about the past season, and think, "Well, I'm not fully sold on McDermott yet!"

Stare at numbers all you want. But there's more to this than numbers, and the 99% of Bills fans cheering this extension can see it.

Correct. It is about more than Ws and Ls. It is about the culture. It is the way he has raised the standard in the whole organisation. Raised the expectation. Created a sense of direction. Everyone in that building, Brandon Beane included, is following HIS lead. This is HIS programme. And you need to be all in. 

He is the definition of a leader. 

42 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Why does anyone care in the 15+ pages of this thread?

No. Beyond discussing the news itself, why does anyone care there is an extension to the extent they think it's a bad idea. It has very little downside to it and plenty of upside. I can't imagine finding any fault with this decision because it doesn't impact anything beyond the Pegula's wallet.

If they made the wrong choice, they'll fire him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

No offense, but this was almost unreadable.  What are you trying to say?

I don't think it's that complicated.

The Bills organization was not a desired destination for the top talent in the coaching/GM world for years under Ralph, and that is grossly understating the situation.

Things have changed for the better.

Treating the current staff with respect by rewarding a job well done, (so far), along with vast improvements in other areas not always visible to the casual fan is a step in the right direction, and has many peripheral benefits..

3 minutes ago, sherpa said:

I don't think it's that complicated.

The Bills organization was not a desired destination for the top talent in the coaching/GM world for years under Ralph, and that is grossly understating the situation.

Things have changed for the better.

Treating the current staff with respect by rewarding a job well done, (so far), along with vast improvements in other areas not always visible to the casual fan is a step in the right direction, and has many peripheral benefits..

Ok, THIS makes more sense.  I was just honestly not understanding what you wrote the first time (not being a dick, just wasn't sure what your point was).  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

So, we got this going for us  ?? 

Sean came in with a plan, and a way to implement the plan. Good to know he will be a round for a while longer. 

Does anyone know how long the extension is for? Didn’t see it in the press clippings. 

Go Bills!!!

I heard it is through 2023. did not hear the dollar amount.

I would've waited on this one given the length. I kind of just thought this was going to bring his contract to 3 or 4 years

I think McD's a good teacher of the game but he's far from one of the best on gameday and hasn't done well going up against the better coaches and teams. 

Hopefully it works out. As we've seen, you don't necessarily always have to have a top echelon coach to win it all. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Again since the money comes out of Terry's deep pockets and doesn't affect the salary cap, there's nothing not to like about extending McD.  And as for looking for a replacement because making the playoffs twice in 3 years but not winning a playoff game (again because of chicanery by the refs in the last game) isn't good enough..who are you pining-for who will be available in 2021?  Be specific, please.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm thrilled about this.

I imagine 99.9% of fans are, too, and the .1% who aren't are ScottLaw and his in-laws.

Now go extend Beane and I'll feel incredibly excited about the future of this team.

As others have said, even if Allen turns out not to be the guy, having Beane and McDermott in place going forward will give me faith that the Bills will continue to be a winning and well-run organization.

• Like (+1) 4

It makes sense, I don’t mean to state the obvious, we already have 17 pages of redundancy at this point. Nothing more to say other than it makes a lot of sense. Don’t think anyone can make a serious argument against not re-signing Coach McDermott. Although we as fans should expect a Lombardi at some point during the next 6 years, team is too loaded not to.

6 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I guess I'm a pessimist, but I'm not happy with this decision. 

I think he's a fairly average coach. The 2017 Bills were a very mediocre team that finished 9-7 and made the playoffs only through the grace of god. The 2019 Bills were a bit better, but finished 10-6 with an insanely easy schedule. 

The team is trending in the right direction, but if we don't take that next step I think we'll regret this decision. 

this smacks of attention seeking. Please turn in your Man card in at the exit. Your Bills fan cred has been revoked

• Haha (+1) 1