McDermott contract extension

Estro

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

PPG could be deflated by play style. But I agree the offense was not a top half of the league offense let alone an elite one. If I had to rank the offense last season it wouldn't be tragic but it would probably be 17-20ish and if you have a top 3-4 defense you probably are going to lean on that to get your team some wins. I hope with the additions of Diggs and Moss along with progression in Josh and Singletary (along with O-line chemistry) the team can knock on having a top 10 offense which should give them a good shot to win playoff games if the defense can be about as good as it was last season.

I'm not saying that there isn't room for improvement ...

Just rolling with the good news 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I've bitched about the "play style" offensively all year..... guess who's call that is? 

Sorry to clarify by play style I meant situational play. If the team finds its self nursing leads late in games and not playing from behind then they are going to play a ball control style of offense that grinds the clock down and doesn't score points late in games. The defense kept almost every single game close to the point where teams weren't giving up garbage time points that often inflate PPG stats for bad teams. The offense was slightly below average because the O-line had been completely overhauled with 4 new starters, Josh had his growing pains and there were only two quality NFL receivers to throw to. The play calling can always be better but that wasn't the thing holding back a top 10 offense. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

You could argue that... I'd say more so top 10 defensive coach then overall head coach.... he's got to prove more as a HC to be there, IMO.

Of course he has more to prove. He's been a HC for all of 3 years. And now he'll have a chacne to prove it.

And for what it's worth, I'm not the only one to feel that way...

(from late December)

8PIL6Yd.png

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Yes. So is Wins and Losses and making the playoffs.

But I'm not going to sit and argue with you to just ruin good news 

Who is arguing?  It’s just conversation.  Im repeatedly said I think he is a good coach.  But it’s worth pointing out that our offense has kinda sucked since he’s been here.  But now, there are no excuses.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Of course he has more to prove. He's been a HC for all of 3 years. And now he'll have a chacne to prove it.

And for what it's worth, I'm not the only one to feel that way...

(from late December)

8PIL6Yd.png

He’s well deserved on that list but there have probably been so coaches on that list that would be laughable now (Rex haha).

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a big fan, but this is a big commitment for a guy who hasn't won a playoff game and who's team massively collapsed in the Wild Card game last year.  All for stability, but may have given it one more year before doing this.

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You could argue that... I'd say more so top 10 defensive coach then overall head coach.... he's got to prove more as a HC to be there, IMO.

You're right.  I mean, taking a team to the playoffs that hadn't been there in 17 seasons twice in three years really only says, "I need to see more."

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And that’s what great head coaches do.  Obviously they have their strong suit on one side of the ball.  But it’s becoming an overseer of the whole team.  

and if Allen is legit, McDermott will look great. 

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

When was the last one?  

Chicken or egg?  Most teams lock-up their promising GMs and HCs before they allow there to be a bidding war.

And again, so much for this article, much less the thread that accompanied it (I won't link to it).  Nice work by Timmuh, as usual.

32 minutes ago, eball said:

You're right.  I mean, taking a team to the playoffs that hadn't been there in 17 seasons twice in three years really only says, "I need to see more."

Isn’t that more of a product of extremely low expectations?  Like someone who has had sex in 17 years is going to think anyone who sleeps with is amazing.  

this is where some fans divide.  There are some fans who never criticize anything and praise everything the team does.  There are some fans who hate everything and are never happen.  And then there are other fans who see what happens with other teams and higher expectations.  The Bills not making the playoffs is remarkable in an awful way.  Bad teams luck into the playoffs.  The 2017 team was a bad playoff team and McDermott made one of the worst decisions ever with Peterman.  Allen’s rookie year, they understandably take a step back.  Last year, they got fat on a bad schedule and blew a playoff lead.  

I’ve said through this that I think McDermott is a good coach but it’s silly to act like he is like Bill Belichick at this point.  It’s like when people criticize Allen for his passing because if you want good QBs play, he is below average.  Should guys like that be celebrated because they are better than other crappy, former Bills?  I don’t think so.  The Bears fires Lovie Smith after going 10-6.  So teams have much higher expectations.  In the nba, I think the New York Knicks is a dream job because they have been so awful than just being average will get a parade.  

i think this year should have been the make or break year.  The “process” should be completed and on paper, they have a much, much tougher schedule than last year.  If they regress, it could be a huge red flag.  But it’s not my money and we locked up a top 5 defensive coach so no real worries either way. 

53 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I kinda hope when it comes time to sign Beane that Kim will be willing to give him her president title. That way Beane can be the GM/President. That would not really allow another team to come in and offer him the title at a later point if we were to be doing really well. The Colts were able to snag Polian from the Panthers because they gave him the president title along with GM

Sorry, not a lick of this is true.  Irsay traded with the Panthers for Polian.  He gave them a 3rd round pick to allow Polian to leave.

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

Chicken or egg?  Most teams lock-up their promising GMs and HCs before they allow there to be a bidding war.

And again, so much for this article, much less the thread that accompanied it (I won't link to it).  Nice work by Timmuh, as usual.

I would have seen how this year went and gave them an extension during the season if they deserved it.  But it’s not my money so whatever.