McDermott contract extension

Estro

From what I read this would have been McD's last year of his contract, but doesn't Beane still have one more year beyond 2020?  So not as much urgency there.

Also I'm sure the reason they signed McD first was to twist the knife some for all the people (mainly on this site) who ripped the Bills for hiring the HC before the GM as no on does such a stupid thing as that!

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

There's always ONE in this fanbase.

Meh.

This coach took this team to the playoffs twice in three seasons after missing the playoffs for 17 straight seasons and he has the team positioned for sustained success the next 3 seasons with a QB on a rookie deal and a good drafting track record thus far. What more could you be waiting on? 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Why are we rushing into an extension when he still had 2 years left on his first contract? 

His the best coach we've had since at least Wade, but all he's shown so far is that he can take average teams to a first round playoff exit. 

I would've waited at least 1 more year before extending. 

It’s a 4 year extension that includes the last 2 years on the current = 6 year deal 

Pros: commitment; signals to players/coaches consistency; locked down a very good coach; signifies the lock step approach of the entire organization.  

Cons: None. The Bills can literally fire him at the end of the season. This isn't like cutting a player. There are no cap ramifications. 

For what its worth, if there were some downside to extending him, I would say doing so now was unnecessary. 

• Like (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I guess I'm a pessimist, but I'm not happy with this decision. 

I think he's a fairly average coach. The 2017 Bills were a very mediocre team that finished 9-7 and made the playoffs only through the grace of god. The 2019 Bills were a bit better, but finished 10-6 with an insanely easy schedule. 

The team is trending in the right direction, but if we don't take that next step I think we'll regret this decision. 

Grace of God you say? I agree and funny how that happened with a coach that believes in God. I'm happy we are keeping McClappy...Jesus love and everything else he brings to the table. You can thank God that McClappy broke the Flutie Curse.

15 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Why are we rushing into an extension when he still had 2 years left on his first contract? 

His the best coach we've had since at least Wade, but all he's shown so far is that he can take average teams to a first round playoff exit. 

I would've waited at least 1 more year before extending. 

Totally fair. But what is the downside? What is the negative consequence of extending him? 

2 minutes ago, Tipster19 said:

Great news. I never feared McDermott thinking of leaving but then again I didn’t know what the Pegulas would do. I’m expecting his new contract will be 30M+ for the next 6 years which to me seems reasonable.

I never really care or give a ***** about coaches salaries because it isn't like there is a salary cap and it seems that the Pegulas can afford it. But whatever they are paying McD it seems to be worth it. He has this team in position to be a serious contender the next 3 seasons and I think they can guide this ship beyond that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why does the team withhold information seemingly for the fun of it? Withholding information for the sake of withholding information. Why do we have to learn from Adam Schefter that it's a 6-year deal running through 2025? Do they think no one cares about the details?

IIRC, typically teams dont give the details of someone's money, that's up to the player/agent to leak.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Premature move and too long an extension. 

Would like to see them field a formidable and offense and win ONE playoff game before handing out this kindve extension.... but the standards have been so low here McDermott is seen as untouchable. 

vTP1eIQ.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3