How will Bills Defense the Run Pass Option?

Old Coot

36 minutes ago, beavis said:

That's the triple reed option. RPO is a designed run play, like a double double or zone run, but the WR runs a real route instead of two steps and girl block. If the QB feels it, like good steps and no pressure, he bombs it downfield.

I would focus on letting the WR make the catch, and then punching his arms and hands as hard as I could so the ball moves when he hits the ground and the catch is disputed. When they block, I would jam and break their fingers so they can't catch later.

Basically an RPO, everyone run blocks, and there's usually like 1, max 2 routes on the same side of the field.  If you read maybe cover 2 zone, your slant WR may be open since the LB filled the run gaps.  But if you think its cover 2 zone, and it ends up being man or something - there's a post-snap read that you have to make very quickly to decide if you're throwing the slant or handing it off.  

It's a simple post-snap read, but it has to be made super quickly.  You can counter it by playing tight coverage, and their lack of downfield speed and good safety coverage makes it hard for this to be super effective. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Basically an RPO, everyone run blocks, and there's usually like 1, max 2 routes on the same side of the field.  If you read maybe cover 2 zone, your slant WR may be open since the LB filled the run gaps.  But if you think its cover 2 zone, and it ends up being man or something - there's a post-snap read that you have to make very quickly to decide if you're throwing the slant or handing it off.  

It's a simple post-snap read, but it has to be made super quickly.  You can counter it by playing tight coverage, and their lack of downfield speed and good safety coverage makes it hard for this to be super effective. 

Your second para is dead on. The RPO requires speedy receivers who can get deep on you. Otherwise just play cover 2, defend the run and if they pass on you then so long as you are assignment sounds in the backfield it shouldn't burn you.  

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Your second para is dead on. The RPO requires speedy receivers who can get deep on you. Otherwise just play cover 2, defend the run and if they pass on you then so long as you are assignment sounds in the backfield it shouldn't burn you.  

2 vet corners vs. harry and sanu outside is also a really bad matchup for them.  Edelman is always a tough man draw, but none of these guys have speed - and RPOs over the middle require some short area timing that you can interrupt with press coverage.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Cam best stay in the pocket vs. the Bills.  He don't want no part of Edmunds at this point in their respective careers.

If he stays in the pocket, I don't know if he want no part of Oliver after last off-season's joint workout.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Basically an RPO, everyone run blocks, and there's usually like 1, max 2 routes on the same side of the field.

That's the play action pass.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

If you read maybe cover 2 zone, your slant WR may be open since the LB filled the run gaps.  But if you think its cover 2 zone, and it ends up being man or something - there's a post-snap read that you have to make very quickly to decide if you're throwing the slant or handing it off. 

That's an option. That's a switch.

RPO is called as a run in the huddle. Everyone doesn't know anything else but run play and block accordingly. The #1 WR runs a full speed route on every run play. The QB on any run play throw to the WR. No signals or audibles or reads.

A completion can still occur with tight coverage and good safety play. You need that every down.

Specific tactics against the RPO? Long developing play. After 3 seconds, routes are done. Also you have the danger of illegal man downfield since they all think is run. RPO teams might compensate with the line on normal run plays. Win the game there. Since their #1 WR is running every play, rough him up. Play the catch when they're going to the ground and the rules are on your side. No PI and just make the ball move a little.

I would do really bad stuff. Start the second team, who cares if they get kicked out? Other QB goes down, you win. Probably take the team away from ownership but it will work.

22 hours ago, beavis said:

That's the play action pass.

That's an option. That's a switch.

RPO is called as a run in the huddle. Everyone doesn't know anything else but run play and block accordingly. The #1 WR runs a full speed route on every run play. The QB on any run play throw to the WR. No signals or audibles or reads.

A completion can still occur with tight coverage and good safety play. You need that every down.

Specific tactics against the RPO? Long developing play. After 3 seconds, routes are done. Also you have the danger of illegal man downfield since they all think is run. RPO teams might compensate with the line on normal run plays. Win the game there. Since their #1 WR is running every play, rough him up. Play the catch when they're going to the ground and the rules are on your side. No PI and just make the ball move a little.

I would do really bad stuff. Start the second team, who cares if they get kicked out? Other QB goes down, you win. Probably take the team away from ownership but it will work.

I mean - i guess.  Except RPOs can only be run out of shotgun since you can't make a read with your back turned to the field. You also can run PA deep since your linemen won't be caught downfield.  You can have more receivers running routes since you aren't limited to reading a single player post snap.  

If you want you can mess with timing on RPO routes by jamming at the line and forcing them off their spot.  

Edited by dneveu

Good discussion.  Two points:

1. WE did defense the Ravens well.  Belichick knows that and he'll have analyzed what we did in that game so we better have some wrinkles to throw at him.

2. RPO is blocked as a run but the QB needn't run it if he reads run.  He can hand off to the RB.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:08 PM, eball said:

Aside from one blown assignment the Bills defended the Ravens pretty damn well last season. 

So true....at his age and injury history there's no way Cam's running an RPO like Lamar. He might show it occasionally but I strongly doubt Bill features it.