How will Bills Defense the Run Pass Option?

Old Coot

The forum has been quiet -- too quiet.  So let's discuss the Run Pass Option (RPO)

Cam Newton likely will be the Pats QB.  At Carolina, he ran a lot of RPO.  Belichick is thus quite likely to make use of it.

As I understand it, the QB reads the playside safety or outside LB.  If that man plays run, the QB passes; if that man plays pass, Cam will give to the RB or run it himself.

I've read some articles on defensing the RPO but they weren't very clear.  How will the Bills defense deal with the RPO?

BTW Belichick may be building a defense to stop the RPO.  see this article:

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/patriots-appear-to-be-building-rpo-proof-defense

If so, you can bet he'll have a thorough understanding of how the RPO operates and will use it to maximum advantage so we better know how to stop it.

9 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

The forum has been quiet -- too quiet.  So let's discuss the Run Pass Option (RPO)

Cam Newton likely will be the Pats QB.  At Carolina, he ran a lot of RPO.  Belichick is thus quite likely to make use of it.

As I understand it, the QB reads the playside safety or outside LB.  If that man plays run, the QB passes; if that man plays pass, Cam will give to the RB or run it himself.

I've read some articles on defensing the RPO but they weren't very clear.  How will the Bills defense deal with the RPO?

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/patriots-appear-to-be-building-rpo-proof-defense

If so, you can bet he'll have a thorough understanding of how the RPO operates and will use it to maximum advantage so we better know how to stop it.

Please don’t take this in a mean or snarky way, because that it not how it is intended. As to the bold, this is like saying the Dean of MIT has a firm grasp of addition and subtraction. 

We have very solid safeties, and the LB corps can move. I doubt Cam can take too many more hits and still keep going. Time will tell. Never underestimate Belichick. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, batmanfreek said:

We will see if it was Brady or the Patriots/Kraft getting all the calls from the refs soon enough. 

The leagues most influential owner has the best run in the history of the sport. A run that has been highlighted by a few calls that were so bad they got nicknames and rule changes. 

Oh and that same owner received multiple slaps on the wrist for violating league rules which were put in place to ensure fair competition. 

Nothing to see here. 

Edited by CommonCents
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, just make sure you hit him anytime he runs it.

Exactly this isn't College

Run the RPO and you're not protected

Hit him hit him again and hit him every time he runs that stupid play

Ask Brad kaaya from the U how it feels to have a tooth dislodge from his head because they kept running a rpo

• Like (+1) 2

Coot, did you read the article (not being wiseguy)?  My reasoning is Hightower was the key to the middle and although they listed another Safety, Chung would have been a big part of the RPO as well, but the article was written in May.  They lost those pieces as we know to the Opt outs.  I’m not being snarky at all and if you were just using as a tool to ###### the progress of an RPO, we already have it in how we shut down the Ravens to one of their worst performances last year.  LJ had his worst game against us, we made one bad mistake and we played contain.  We had a response for most of their RPO plays.  I know we lost 24-17, but we were in that game until the end and the Titans in the playoffs literally played the Ravens exactly how we played them and you know the results there.  That team concerns me when we play them this year.  Henry will still have fresh legs in the beginning of October so that will be a tough game in TN.  We’re going to need Handsome Harry, Butler, and Jefferson to find a way to slow that cat down.

The article is interesting as they basically were describing how our Safeties, athleticism of Edmunds and the speed Milano has to smother the Ravens and yes the Pats this year.  Cam can’t be as fast as he was at 25 now that he is 31.  Even Vick slowed a bit after his incarceration.  

I appreciate always a football topic so well done and good take.  We already have the answer to this problem and if Cam does a lot of RPO, he is going to get tattooed by Milano on the back side.  If the RB cuts to the left, Klein is known for being a really nasty hard hitter. He was nailing people while in New Orleans.  Klein also played on the Pats when Cam was at his peak on the Panthers so he’ll know Cam’s tendencies.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Old Coot said:

I think we did pretty well against Baltimore last year , actually Tennessee used our blue print on how to stop L Jackson , in other words I’m NOT to worried about the older and coming of injury Newton ,  i would be really disappointed if we don’t sweep the division on our way to the title , 

Go Bills baby !!!

Edited by Putin

'How will Bills Defense the Run Pass Option?'

Keys to a new Maserati left in the visitors' locker room, tied to a big red bow and tag that says 'for Cam'?

Hey, just resorting to BBesque tactics.  Fight fire with fire.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

What would really help is of the Bills had a defensive coach or two who were in Carolina when Cam was running the RPO with his greatest success...... 

In the running for post of the day—Cam just doesn’t scare me like he used to regardless. But yes, I have every confidence we have the right staff in place to handle the RPO if that’s what NE goes to heavy. 

50 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

In the running for post of the day—Cam just doesn’t scare me like he used to regardless. But yes, I have every confidence we have the right staff in place to handle the RPO if that’s what NE goes to heavy. 

It's all about discipline, and deceptive pre-snap looks.  If a pre-snap look makes you think your TE will be open if edmunds fills his run gap, you may throw that pass based off of edmunds filling said gap.  But what the other players on the defense do can create problems there.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Please don’t take this in a mean or snarky way, because that it not how it is intended. As to the bold, this is like saying the Dean of MIT has a firm grasp of addition and subtraction. 

We have very solid safeties, and the LB corps can move. I doubt Cam can take too many more hits and still keep going. Time will tell. Never underestimate Belichick. 

3/4 of the way through the year there is a glitch/skip and after not taking a hit all year we find out Cam has really been just a hologram all along!!!

Cam is a shell of his 2015 self. 
He has had multiple shoulder surgeries because of the misuse by OC Shula.
   The question to me is, does BB acknowledge this fact or does he figure “ WTH, we got him in the cheap and this is a rebuilding year”?

If a full season is played and they use a heavy RPO playbook. Cam’s game will probably start suffering by week 4.

11 hours ago, Old Coot said:

That's the triple reed option. RPO is a designed run play, like a double double or zone run, but the WR runs a real route instead of two steps and girl block. If the QB feels it, like good steps and no pressure, he bombs it downfield.

I would focus on letting the WR make the catch, and then punching his arms and hands as hard as I could so the ball moves when he hits the ground and the catch is disputed. When they block, I would jam and break their fingers so they can't catch later.