How messed up will the 2021 draft be?

On 8/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, Augie said:

This will give the better organizations an advantage. I happen to LOVE our front office. I like our chances to benefit, if it’s possible that anything good can come of this mess. 

This.  Well said.

Its going to devalue the first round and substantially increase the value of the other rounds.  It’s going to creat an opportunity for talented front offices identify talent that didn’t get a chance to rise to the top because they didn’t play this year but were likely headed for a breakout.  

I love our front office and firmly believe we will have a significant advantage going into the draft over a majority of the teams in the league at finding this talent.  And when I say majority, I’m not implying there are some teams better than us at it, saying there are some other well run front offices too where neither us or them has an “advantage” over each other.  But that small elite group of front offices as a whole will have an edge over the less talented front offices at scouting talent and finding gems throughout the draft.  

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This.  Well said.

Its going to devalue the first round and substantially increase the value of the other rounds.  It’s going to creat an opportunity for talented front offices identify talent that didn’t get a chance to rise to the top because they didn’t play this year but were likely headed for a breakout.  

I love our front office and firmly believe we will have a significant advantage going into the draft over a majority of the teams in the league at finding this talent.  And when I say majority, I’m not implying there are some teams better than us at it, saying there are some other well run front offices too where neither us or them has an “advantage” over each other.  But that small elite group of front offices as a whole will have an edge over the less talented front offices at scouting talent and finding gems throughout the draft.  

Having 3 or I guess 4 years of continuity at that point could be huge.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Having 3 or I guess 4 years of continuity at that point could be huge.

The issue is I think we will lose Schoen by then. He is getting a GM job this cycle IMO and he is the best scout on our staff. Not saying the world ends if he leaves but we will miss him.

• Sad 1

On 8/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, Augie said:

This will give the better organizations an advantage. I happen to LOVE our front office. I like our chances to benefit, if it’s possible that anything good can come of this mess. 

I agree, it’s going to be a huge mess and Beane is going to take advantage of it. It might actually be the draft that gets us enough talent to get a Super Bowl. This is going to be a huge advantage for the good organizations. 

32 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Sucks to be a GM in April. They will be making mostly blind picks. The bust rate for that class will be incredible. 

The hidden gem rate will be much higher though. Good front offices will take advantage. You could get some guys that would have put up 1st round tape this year that get picked in the 5th or 6th round. 

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

So what is the work agenda even going to looks like for these scouts who would normally spend the next 4 months on the road scouting? 

Beane discusses this in the article 

What we have them doing is just going back and watching the last two years of film of the guys,” Beane said. “Obviously the senior class and the guys that we’ve identified that would have been potential early entrants if they had a good year. So we’re working on that while we can’t travel. And then at the same time, if we get the word, let’s just say in a month, that you’ll be able to go to these schools Oct. 1 or whatever date, we’ll reassess at that point based on what schools will allow us to do what.”

Beane isn’t anticipating that scouts will be allowed in the building at any colleges even if some conferences do decide to play football. Scouts may be allowed to stand outside while wearing masks to watch practices in some cases, but a school visit is about much more than that. Access to the film room and various members of the coaching staff yields the most useful information.

“Normally we’d be in there to meet with a strength coach or a coach we know,” Beane said. “Those are all going to have to be some type of video conference or FaceTime or something like that.”

Not only will teams be leaning heavily on the 2019 game tape of some players, but they also will need to rely on the relationships they have around college football. Maybe a trusted coach can shed light on an under-the-radar player who was primed for a breakout year. But those coaches have only so many hours in the day to answer the phone.

“You know, if you’re trying to get hold of a position coach or coordinator, those guys are busy, they don’t have time to call everyone back,” Nagy said. “So they’re going to call the guys that have the relationships with. So, to be a veteran guy that’s been in the schools year after year after year and have those relationships with those contacts, that to me is going to be really beneficial.”

• Like (+1) 1