How messed up will the 2021 draft be?

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

GM Joe Douglas has his work cut out for him. Two of the three draft picks the Jest received from the Seahawks in the Jamal Adams trade come in 2021...1st Round & 3rd Round. The remaining 1st Round pick comes in 2022 but they are also sending a 4th Round pick Seattle's way in 2022. The football gods love the Jest. ?

This is the one good thing about a messed up draft is that it might **** up the Jets and their selections with their two 1st Rd picks. All GM's will have a tough time if there is no CFB this fall.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ALF said:

The combine in 2021 will be critical

And I wonder about an extended all star game programme too if things are looking a little rosier by January. There is the Senior Bowl, the Shrine Game and the NFLPA but I think there might be a market for some "one off" all start games with players from conferences that didn't play to give those guys who are draft eligible a chance to workout for a week and play infront of teams.

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And he will be starting again with a new Head Coach and new offensive system with his potential franchise QB going into year4 of his rookie deal and a decision needing to be made on him longer term.

The Jets at the moment are suffering from what the Bills suffered from for years. Institutionally there just is not a culture that is conducive to winning and there seems to be a lack of organisation understanding of, or commitment to, what it takes to be successful. If they had fired their previous GM when they fired Bowles and had hired Douglas and let him run the coaching search they'd be in a much better position. Joe Douglas is a smart cookie. He is about the best thing to happen to that franchise in at least a decade. But he was brought into a mess, handcuffed to a failure of a Head Coach, inherited some bad FA contracts and then was not given the freedom to really do the job. The Jets last season had a talented roster - but with Enunwa heading for retirement, Roby Anderson and Jamal Adams gone and Mosely opting out it looks much thinner now. They will be starting again with a new Head Coach in 2021. That decision is going to be one they simply cannot afford to get wrong.

Thank you for intently following the Jets organization over the past 20 years, but let me add some color. I’d agree institutionally there are issues, my opinion is they stem from the Johnsons. Although Woody is willing to spend whatever it takes to build a winner, he’s made dubious decisions since he bought the team (mostly in whom he’s hiring to build the team and culture). I also agree that they probably should have cleaned house and fired Mac and Bowles together, however, maybe the Jets never end up with Joe Douglas if they do that? I think most Jets fans like Joe Douglas, it’s way too early to pass judgement on the guys he bought in but he’s shown he has a plan as far as cap management (Jets will be in a prime position to actually spend next year when the cap goes down) and manipulation of the draft (trading picks, moving up and down). 

I don’t like Gase and want him gone but it’s hard/unfair for me to label him a total failure at this point. He was crushed with injuries (especially on the online and defense), horrific oline, bad skill players and a starting QB with mono last year. Tough for anyone to overcome but despite that I do see/hear things I don’t like. I don’t think Joe D necessarily inherited “bad” contracts, the Jets are in excellent cap shape and honestly, the biggest money guys are C.J. mosely (who’s a bust at this point because he never plays) and bell. 

Jets last season did not have a talented roster on the whole, and it was terrible exposed when Sam was out. They looked like a high school team. Enunwa hasn’t played in years, Robby Anderson was good but hardly anything close to resembling a #1 receiver, and Jamal Adams being traded was a big blow to the defense but it’s not like safety is a weak spot and the reason we’ll lose games this year (Maye, McDouglad, and newly drafted Ashtyn Davis will probably be an above average group). 

I hope the jets will be searching for a new HC next year but I’m willing to give Gase one last shot based on the reasons I explained. If they do look for someone new, it will be a pivotal decision and I trust Joe D to make the right one. Organizationally, Joe D seems to be the best thing that happened to the Jets in 20 years. Present looks tough but there is hope for the future based on how Joe D has positioned the Jets with tons of cap space and draft picks.

Beane & Co have shown a capacity to find the right players, I have faith that we will be just fine. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

It's going to be a total crap shoot. There are players every year that rise or fall several rounds. Joe Burrow is a perfect example. If there had been no season last year, some lucky team might have picked him in the 6th round. I won't blame any team that has a bad draft that year, or vice versa. Football character and the combine will probably be valued more than usual. There won't be enough tape for most of the prospects.

I still think this played into the Jamal Adams trade too. The 1st in 2021 does not have that much value.

4 minutes ago, Lockdown24 said:

Thank you for intently following the Jets organization over the past 20 years, but let me add some color. I’d agree institutionally there are issues, my opinion is they stem from the Johnsons. Although Woody is willing to spend whatever it takes to build a winner, he’s made dubious decisions since he bought the team (mostly in whom he’s hiring to build the team and culture). I also agree that they probably should have cleaned house and fired Mac and Bowles together, however, maybe the Jets never end up with Joe Douglas if they do that? I think most Jets fans like Joe Douglas, it’s way too early to pass judgement on the guys he bought in but he’s shown he has a plan as far as cap management (Jets will be in a prime position to actually spend next year when the cap goes down) and manipulation of the draft (trading picks, moving up and down). 

I don’t like Gase and want him gone but it’s hard/unfair for me to label him a total failure at this point. He was crushed with injuries (especially on the online and defense), horrific oline, bad skill players and a starting QB with mono last year. Tough for anyone to overcome but despite that I do see/hear things I don’t like. I don’t think Joe D necessarily inherited “bad” contracts, the Jets are in excellent cap shape and honestly, the biggest money guys are C.J. mosely (who’s a bust at this point because he never plays) and bell. 

Jets last season did not have a talented roster on the whole, and it was terrible exposed when Sam was out. They looked like a high school team. Enunwa hasn’t played in years, Robby Anderson was good but hardly anything close to resembling a #1 receiver, and Jamal Adams being traded was a big blow to the defense but it’s not like safety is a weak spot and the reason we’ll lose games this year (Maye, McDouglad, and newly drafted Ashtyn Davis will probably be an above average group). 

I hope the jets will be searching for a new HC next year but I’m willing to give Gase one last shot based on the reasons I explained. If they do look for someone new, it will be a pivotal decision and I trust Joe D to make the right one. Organizationally, Joe D seems to be the best thing that happened to the Jets in 20 years. Present looks tough but there is hope for the future based on how Joe D has positioned the Jets with tons of cap space and draft picks.

I don't disagree with a lot of that, though I do think the roster last year - at least going into the year on paper - was better than you give it credit for. The fact that Mosely and Enunwa both got injured week 1 against the Bills and were done for the year hurt (Enunwa did have a history with injuries but he started 23 games out of the previous 32 it is not like he never played) and then of course they were in a bind without Sam Darnold and (in fairness to the Jets without his intended backup who immediately got hurt in week 2).

On Gase - I am judging him on the entirety of his NFL Head Coaching career, not just his time with the Jets. I have been a critic of his since day 1. He doesn't have the right make up to be a successful Head Coach. He isn't a terrible Xs and Os guy but he lacks the basic leadership qualities the job requires.

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

On Gase - I am judging him on the entirety of his NFL Head Coaching career, not just his time with the Jets. I have been a critic of his since day 1. He doesn't have the right make up to be a successful Head Coach. He isn't a terrible Xs and Os guy but he lacks the basic leadership qualities the job requires.

This times 1000.  Gase is the guy you keep locked away in a room by himself working on schemes.  He is one of the worst leaders at the HC position I've ever seen.

• Like (+1) 1

Marv always said the draft was a crap shoot. It certainly was for Marv, but 2021 will be even more so. I expect teams won't be so shy about drafting for need even though they say they don't and then go out every year and do it anyways from the 1st to the last pick. Anybody want to start those mock drafts early?

If there actually is spring football on a widespread basis, I could see the NFL postponing the draft for a month to give teams the chance to do a little post football e v a l.  It's going to be crazy in any case.

21 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

If there actually is spring football on a widespread basis, I could see the NFL postponing the draft for a month to give teams the chance to do a little post football e v a l.  It's going to be crazy in any case.

That would make the draft held around the same time mini-camp takes I believe. It will be crazy no matter how they do it. It will be extremely difficult for the CS to get draft picks ready to play for the 2021 season considering they won't have much time to learn the playbook and get much practice time in with the new teams.

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

That would make the draft held around the same time mini-camp takes I believe. It will be crazy no matter how they do it. It will be extremely difficult for the CS to get draft picks ready to play for the 2021 season considering they won't have much time to learn the playbook and get much practice time in with the new teams.

A possible calendar could have NFL teams run OTAs before the draft.  Then they could have the draft on Memorial Day weekend, have a rookie camp a week later and then Mini-camp in mid-June.  Rookies would be a bit further behind in learning their new teams' systems, but I think it's already a given that rookies who participate in spring college football are going to have on average less impact than usual on their new teams.  They will have had virtually no time to heal up and recover from the rigors of a season of football before again being thrust on to the field again.  I think NFL coaching staffs will be careful about overworking rookies and inadvertently causing injury

All teams are in the same boat, so it doesn't really matter. It's up to Beane and his team to do the best they can.

49 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

All a go for McCaffery! Trade for TJ Watt or Nick Bosa while we are shopping, Complete the LB core with Leighton Vander Esch, Finish the WR Corp off with Kupp and call it a Super Bowl season.

And our new team name will be the Whitey Tighties!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Utah John said:

A related question is, if the NFL cancels its season or just plays a few games, how will the draft order be set?  Just use the order from this year?  Use the results from a few games?

32 team lottery.   I'll give you one guess who wins the #1 pick.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

All teams are in the same boat, so it doesn't really matter. It's up to Beane and his team to do the best they can.

And our new team name will be the Whitey Tighties!

Well, we are due for a name change right?!?!? We have also finally got a good team together so we can save this logo for the Browns...

61Rko2paDKL._AC_UL1250_.jpg

There will be a huge huge advantage to front offices that are able to do their homework on players next year more than ever...

I like the Bills chances for stealing a few players that are well above where they got them talent wise...