Per the Washington Post, Big ten postponing/canceling the fall season

6 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

What’s your point to your comment then? Just stating the obvious? No *****, colleges are going to have to deal with a loss of revenue because their free labor won’t be able to generate money for them. Local communities that are all built around serving the public on game games are going to be hurt. Kind of sounds like the rest of America, and everyone is going to have to finally start wrapping their heads around the fact that life isn’t normal right now and lots of Americans are being hurt because of the virus. the #1  Priority should be defeating the virus and you can’t do that playing college sports. Public health has to be the priority of the majority of Americans but instead we want young men and women to entertain us on Saturdays for free lol. 

I see you could not find a quote where I supposedly wrote what you accused me of posting.

Thanks.

Edited by Peter

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

Hey I am degenerate gambler, so I watch all conferences, and I was actually like watching the small conferences better because they are easier to line, especially in College Basketball.  I will take Cal Poly vs Bakersfield everytime over UNC/Duke on the hardwood.  My guess is most of those basketball players will never see an NBA Court.

Right - those players for cal poly and Bakersfield don’t generate the type of money for their schools that Zion Williamson does though (maybe a bad example since I’m pretty sure he was paid to play at Duke lol)

23 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m only talking power 5. I apologize for any confusion. That was my point at the beginning. 

I too went to a private DIII school (Emerson). I posted the money from football in the previous post but here it is again: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2019/03/who-are-the-richest-and-poorest-power-five-college-football-programs-here-are-all-65-ranked-bottom-to-top.html%3FoutputType=amp

To be clear, I’m strictly talking power 5 because that’s all that matters in college football. The above post is from the previous year so it’s higher now but it gives you an example of the contributions. 

Thanks missed the link. I went to University of Rochester, after Dabol was gone, but it's pretty cool he went there.

I found this article about how most athletic departments send very little money to the academic side of the school. Now what I don't know is how the accounting works, and maybe there are tax benefits, who knows, but based on that article it sounds like most sports are costing schools money.

Now, I think sports improve the collegiate experience overall, and colleges shouldn't be about profits at every line item. That said, they shouldn't be a minor league farm system either with hugely under compensated labor (I understand a 4 year + scholarship is worth a lot, but D1 athletes practice a ton, and my guess when you look at it from an hourly rate perspective, it's not gonna be minimum wage (I mean how can it be, at most they are getting maybe $50k a year in a scholarship at a private school, and time they spend training should be counted as time working, unless you can somehow say they are salaried, which I don't see how, and no way they're a contractor since they are students...is there a reason they can't be work study jobs, like a random student working at the library?

https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/less-than-1-in-every-100-of-public-athletic-departments-revenue-goes-to-academics-only-10-schools-gave-on-balance.html

While the NCAA likes to promote the narrative that athletic revenues support academics, claiming that more than 90 percent of NCAA revenue goes to support student-athletes and that athletic programs help their school’s academics, the reality is that direct financial support for academics beyond scholarships (a significant investment, but not one that benefits non-athletes) is quite limited at most schools. According to a Chronicle of Higher Education analysis, “Less than $1 of every $100 in revenue generated by major college athletic departments at public colleges is directed to academic programs.” Perhaps even more notably, while over 40 athletic departments reported giving money to their schools for academic purposes between 2011 and 2014, only 10 actually gave more than they received in subsidies, and only six of those received no subsidies whatsoever.

On 8/12/2020 at 10:28 PM, YoloinOhio said:

The Big Ten didn’t outline it, but the PAC 12 did a decent job explaining. They used the same data. It’s based on liability to be sure, which stems from testing protocols not currently in place to match medical recommendations aligned to the amount of virus in their respective zones and the potentially fatal heart condition they have seen in 10 athletes now who have had Covid when exerting the type of cardio that mirrors a football game. The Big 10 for example is testing 2x/week and proposed going to 3x/ week. That does not meet the threshold - The medical recommendation is daily testing based on virus spread (Ohio is in the red zone for example). The pac 12 says by spring there will be better, faster tests in place

and that is why they think it will be feasible to play in spring. Feasible from that standpoint is one thing, but there are multiple other reasons to not play in Spring. 

Yeah, there are multiple other reasons to not play in spring. Multiple other reasons TO play in spring also.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/08/13/nfl-would-accommodate-spring-college-football-season

"Imagine this—the Big Ten launches a season Jan. 1, playing on Thursday and Friday nights during the first two rounds of the NFL playoffs, and on Saturdays otherwise. And they do it in some combination of the five indoor football stadiums (Syracuse, Detroit, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, St. Louis) within shouting distance of the league’s footprint. Meanwhile, on the more temperate West Coast, the Pac-12 launches with a similar plan.

"In this scenario, an eight-game season, with a bye, could be wrapped up by the end of February, with some semblance of a postseason completed by mid-March.

"Maybe the ACC, SEC and Big 12 join in, maybe they don’t. Either way, this shakes up the ’21 calendar for the NFL significantly. And if you want to know how the NFL would react to this, I’ve got news for you—these sorts of concepts aren’t just landing on their radar now.

I’m told these are ideas that have been discussed by college coaches already and, notably, NFL teams would be willing to help. The Lions, for one, were approached by a Big Ten school all the way back in the spring about using Ford Field in this way. NFL teams also have discussed what it would take to move the combine and the draft back a month (potentially having the combine in early April and draft in late May) to accommodate the college game.

"Are there a lot of moving parts here? Sure. But there’s also reason for people involved to be motivated to get it done. For the Big Ten and Pac-12, this would be a shot—by playing a winter season rather than a spring season—to give their players the chance to play without totally firebombing their 2021 season, and maybe even create an option for other conferences to delay their seasons. For the NFL, it would mitigate what will certainly be a messy, messy situation for its ’21 draft class, in getting most top prospects on the field.

"And then, there’s something simpler at play. The NFL needs college football to remain the force that it is for a multitude of reasons. Having all five power conferences play, in whatever form, between now and whenever the draft happens is, without question, the best way to get there.

"Now, I don’t know exactly how likely this is to happen. But I do believe the idea—with some colleges playing in the winter, leading into a delayed draft season—is something you’re going to hear more about in coming weeks."

"So if the Big Ten and Pac-12 can figure out a way to play? It’d totally make sense that the NFL would be trying to help them every step of the way. And based on what I know, I believe the NFL absolutely will."

- Albert Breer

There's a lot more to Breer's reporting on this in the story, most of it on how the NFL will feel about it, how it will help/hurt players who might be drafted, and so on.

48 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, there are multiple other reasons to not play in spring. Multiple other reasons TO play in spring also.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/08/13/nfl-would-accommodate-spring-college-football-season

"Imagine this—the Big Ten launches a season Jan. 1, playing on Thursday and Friday nights during the first two rounds of the NFL playoffs, and on Saturdays otherwise. And they do it in some combination of the five indoor football stadiums (Syracuse, Detroit, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, St. Louis) within shouting distance of the league’s footprint. Meanwhile, on the more temperate West Coast, the Pac-12 launches with a similar plan.

"In this scenario, an eight-game season, with a bye, could be wrapped up by the end of February, with some semblance of a postseason completed by mid-March.

"Maybe the ACC, SEC and Big 12 join in, maybe they don’t. Either way, this shakes up the ’21 calendar for the NFL significantly. And if you want to know how the NFL would react to this, I’ve got news for you—these sorts of concepts aren’t just landing on their radar now.

I’m told these are ideas that have been discussed by college coaches already and, notably, NFL teams would be willing to help. The Lions, for one, were approached by a Big Ten school all the way back in the spring about using Ford Field in this way. NFL teams also have discussed what it would take to move the combine and the draft back a month (potentially having the combine in early April and draft in late May) to accommodate the college game.

"Are there a lot of moving parts here? Sure. But there’s also reason for people involved to be motivated to get it done. For the Big Ten and Pac-12, this would be a shot—by playing a winter season rather than a spring season—to give their players the chance to play without totally firebombing their 2021 season, and maybe even create an option for other conferences to delay their seasons. For the NFL, it would mitigate what will certainly be a messy, messy situation for its ’21 draft class, in getting most top prospects on the field.

"And then, there’s something simpler at play. The NFL needs college football to remain the force that it is for a multitude of reasons. Having all five power conferences play, in whatever form, between now and whenever the draft happens is, without question, the best way to get there.

"Now, I don’t know exactly how likely this is to happen. But I do believe the idea—with some colleges playing in the winter, leading into a delayed draft season—is something you’re going to hear more about in coming weeks."

"So if the Big Ten and Pac-12 can figure out a way to play? It’d totally make sense that the NFL would be trying to help them every step of the way. And based on what I know, I believe the NFL absolutely will."

- Albert Breer

There's a lot more to Breer's reporting on this in the story, most of it on how the NFL will feel about it, how it will help/hurt players who might be drafted, and so on.

If they play at all past fall, Ryan day said they have to start in January. I know he’s not on board with spring. Breer’s outline makes some sense if they can get enough indoor facilities. But I don’t know why he listed Syracuse as one of them. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If they play at all past fall, Ryan day said they have to start in January. I know he’s not on board with spring. Breer’s outline makes some sense if they can get enough indoor facilities. But I don’t know why he listed Syracuse as one of them. 

If all you need is a football field inside without fans, don't many of these colleges have practice domes like the Bills have that is covered? The TV camera angle might be funky but it would do the trick.

21 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

If all you need is a football field inside without fans, don't many of these colleges have practice domes like the Bills have that is covered? The TV camera angle might be funky but it would do the trick.

Interesting thought without fans, not sure 

This is new:

Georgia State QB Mikele Colasurdo Out For Season With Heart "Condition" Due To Covid-19 Infection

He was South Carolina Gatorade Player of the Year last season. Graduated early to enroll at GSU and was in a QB battle. Probably had a legit shot at the job, too.

• Sad 1