Per the Washington Post, Big ten postponing/canceling the fall season

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Seriously? They could have postponed but they chose to cancel. Sorry I wasn’t clear. I don’t consider spring “postponing”. Postponing was 9/26, which was on the table. It would give more time to put additional protocols (cough - tweak the legal documents - cough) Some schools actually voted for that. They (kevin Warren) chose the other. Postponing until spring is cancellation. Period.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

The hits keep on coming.

These schools are fine with throwing away millions of dollars?

Do we think that these kids are gonna play in the spring with the NFL draft in sight and risk injury?

The schools are valuing health and safety over $, which is exactly what they should do.

And hell no, I dont expect the kids to play in the spring. I'd opt out as well. Even if I wasnt going pro, even more reason to opt out. Come back in the fall healthy, instead of having just finished a season only a few months prior.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seriously? They could have postponed but they chose to cancel. Sorry I wasn’t clear. I don’t consider spring “postponing”. Postponing was 9/26, which was on the table. Some schools actually voted for that. They (kevin Warren) chose the other. 

Was just trying to give a glimmer of hope, even though I disagree with the idea of playing in the Spring. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The schools are valuing health and safety over $, which is exactly what they should do.

And hell no, I dont expect the kids to play in the spring. I'd opt out as well. Even if I wasnt going pro, even more reason to opt out. Come back in the fall healthy, instead of having just finished a season only a few months prior.

No way they will play in the spring, nor should they. 

Spring football LOL. in the Midwest el oh effing el it’s snowing here in April 

Do you ask players to use a year of eligibility on some make-believe spring season? If pretend spring happens, are seniors forced to exhaust their eligibility rather than coming back in the fall?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I think the schools are valuing money, but in a different way.  The fact they even had players return to campuses that will mostly be shut down to “regular” students was about money., and the vast amounts that would be lost.

But, 5 college players have contracted Myocarditis after Covid diagnoses. The long term affect of that is still unknown, but in the worst case scenario could lead to lawsuits against schools in the future.  School presidents don’t want to deal with that potential.

Also, having players back when other students are not makes it obvious these kids are employees which opens up the pay for play discussion again.  I know the university leadership does not want that either.

All of these decisions are about money.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No way they will play in the spring, nor should they. 

Spring football LOL. in the Midwest el oh effing el it’s snowing here in April 

Do you ask players to use a year of eligibility on some make-believe spring season? If pretend spring happens, are seniors forced to exhaust their eligibility rather than coming back in the fall?

I hear you, but to play devils advocate, the kids are practicing and working out in the spring anyway.  In this case, practices would lead to games. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

I think the schools are valuing money, but in a different way.  The fact they even had players return to campuses that will mostly be shut down to “regular” students was about money., and the vast amounts that would be lost.

But, 5 college players have contracted Myocarditis after Covid diagnoses. The long term affect of that is still unknown, but in the worst case scenario could lead to lawsuits against schools in the future.  School presidents don’t want to deal with that potential.

Also, having players back when other students are not makes it obvious these kids are employees which opens up the pay for play discussion again.  I know the university leadership does not want that either.

All of these decisions are about money.

Oh, for sure. If push came to shove, I'd bet they're doing it only in an effort to reduce liability for lawsuits down the road.

• Like (+1) 2

Man, if they all cancel, or all but the SEC, the 2021 draft is going to be a mess.   The pros won't have any film to review, so they'll have to go with film from the prior year.  Of course, all the players will still have their eligibility, so rising juniors still won't be able to come out (unless some one year exception is made), and rising seniors who chose this year not to come out will now have to consider coming out again.  Essentially it will mean that 2021 draft choices will be worth less than usual, because the pool of players is going to be smaller, and therefore have less talent. 

What a mess.   

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Man, if they all cancel, or all but the SEC, the 2021 draft is going to be a mess.   The pros won't have any film to review, so they'll have to go with film from the prior year.  Of course, all the players will still have their eligibility, so rising juniors still won't be able to come out (unless some one year exception is made), and rising seniors who chose this year not to come out will now have to consider coming out again.  Essentially it will mean that 2021 draft choices will be worth less than usual, because the pool of players is going to be smaller, and therefore have less talent. 

What a mess.   

Good thing we didn't trade a Probowl Safety for another 2021 pick I mean can you imagine.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Yea- 19 year old should play like 24 games in under a year

Yup.....ain't gonna be no spring football.  Teams will be missing all the guys who are draft eligible and then asking the others to play two full seasons in about 9 months.  No way.

Spring college ball depends on a vaccine.  So far the ACC, and SEC are still on.  Not sure if it happens, but depends on the pressure from the NAACP.  I don’t know anything so we’ll see.  Selfishly as a devout NFL fan if there is increased revenue that preserves even a part of the overall revenue by adding games, I’m all for it.  I know many are Burge college fans so understood.

I don’t see the majority of colleges doing spring ball without a vaccine.  That is an outside chance.  Usually it takes a lot longer than February.

A lot of people who make a lot of money off free labor are going to be upset.  This whole thing really sucks but in a strange way, I’m actually shocked that schools valued their athletes more than money

and every athlete should get a red shirt.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

A lot of people who make a lot of money off free labor are going to be upset.  This whole thing really sucks but in a strange way, I’m actually shocked that schools valued their athletes more than money

and every athlete should get a red shirt.

Do you know how much money goes to the general fund of schools from football by any chance (not an exact number, more if it's a significant amount). If I'm the dean of the english dept, is football substantially improving my dept? You could argue football takes the focus off education and there are likely people who are not at all sad by this.

To be fair, how many people that support football would be ok with cuts to the English dept if it meant more focus on football.

Edited by HardyBoy

30 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Do you know how much money goes to the general fund of schools from football by any chance (not an exact number, more if it's a significant amount). If I'm the dean of the english dept, is football substantially improving my dept? You could argue football takes the focus off education and there are likely people who are not at all sad by this.

To be fair, how many people that support football would be ok with cuts to the English dept if it meant more focus on football.

The Power 5 conferences generated $2.9B last year. There is no English Department at these massive institutions without that revenue. Football subsidizes these universities not the other way around. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seriously? They could have postponed but they chose to cancel. Sorry I wasn’t clear. I don’t consider spring “postponing”. Postponing was 9/26, which was on the table. It would give more time to put additional protocols (cough - tweak the legal documents - cough) Some schools actually voted for that. They (kevin Warren) chose the other. Postponing until spring is cancellation. Period.

it’s entertainment provided by unpaid college students. 

it’s ok to just cancel at some point. Many of these schools aren’t even doing in person classes.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Power 5 conferences generated $2.9B last year. There is no English Department at these massive institutions without that revenue. Football subsidizes these universities not the other way around. 

perhaps I'm misunderstanding you. Do you mean that these schools would not be able to fund english departments without football revenue? what about all the fine division 3 schools that seem to have english departments without football revenue? What about SUNYAB?

• Like (+1) 2