Will the 12th Man be Expendable at the Ralph? (Article)

Big Turk

This in my mind is a dumb article, because the bottom line is there is no possible way to really know.  

Yeah, it probably helps to some degree, but this year they are likely good enough for it not to really matter at the end of the day. 

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2020/08/11/how-well-cheer-buffalo-bills-games-even-when-we-cant-there-live/3336089001/

Really a moot point at this time.  The main impact of crowd noise is making it difficult for visiting teams to call audibles.  There is some evidence that home teams gets more calls too.  But it’ll be an even playing field this season so no big deal.  

As for the argument that Bills fans are better/louder than most, it’s generally the bad teams that have less crowd noise and that even picks up if they are competitive in a game.  We should beat those teams anyway.  A lack of fans at games should have little to no overall impact on the games themselves.

• Like (+1) 2

It might change the mental state of players. They use the crowd noise to get hyped up sometimes and it helps them play harder.

It will be interesting to see if players showboat less. They won't have a crowd to perform to.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MJS said:

It might change the mental state of players. They use the crowd noise to get hyped up sometimes and it helps them play harder.

It will be interesting to see if players showboat less. They won't have a crowd to perform to.

Sometimes it leads to them getting out of control because they may get hyped TOO much...with those players it may help bring them under control more...

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Given that eventually all governors are not going to allow fans which is almost certain (not me wanting it just a reality at this point), there won’t be a competitive advantage for any team except maybe the Charger who must have felt like they played 16away games last year.

Hahaha, yeah that is true...I mean what kind of idiot owner moves a team to a city where they literally HATE the team?

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Really a moot point at this time.  The main impact of crowd noise is making it difficult for visiting teams to call audibles.  There is some evidence that home teams gets more calls too.  But it’ll be an even playing field this season so no big deal.  

As for the argument that Bills fans are better/louder than most, it’s generally the bad teams that have less crowd noise and that even picks up if they are competitive in a game.  We should beat those teams anyway.  A lack of fans at games should have little to no overall impact on the games themselves.

Its not just calling audibles.  Its all communication on offense.  The huddle, substitutions, the snap count.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Its not just calling audibles.  Its all communication on offense.  The huddle, substitutions, the snap count.  

Yup.  Protection calls at the line, etc., etc. can all be an issue.  IMO the biggest impact of all of those offensive communications being disrupted is when an offense can’t get out of a play that is a poor call against a defensive look and into a good one though.  That’s all I was saying.  Didn’t mean to imply that was the only issue. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Forced to do silent snap counts that can lead to false starts also...

48 minutes ago, MJS said:

Just pump "Renegade" into the stadium - we own that song now.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The atmosphere around the league will stink.  I wonder if the NFL could do as well a job as the NHL in keeping some sort of atmosphere at the game. NHL doing a great job with the crowd noise and the visuals at the arena.

Besides all that, we lost 4 games at home last season, I know the fans love to praise themselves endlessly, but they don't have as much an impact as many think. The better team usually wins.

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

The atmosphere around the league will stink.  I wonder if the NFL could do as well a job as the NHL in keeping some sort of atmosphere at the game. NHL doing a great job with the crowd noise and the visuals at the arena.

Besides all that, we lost 4 games at home last season, I know the fans love to praise themselves endlessly, but they don't have as much an impact as many think. The better team usually wins.

The NBA has surpassed all my expectations by pumping fan noise into the arena and wigth the virtual fans "Zooming" in to the games, it has almost had a real "home" game feel. Much, much better than the cardboard cutout fans that I've seen in MLB. Would be awesome if the NFL could do something similar but I haven't heard any word about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Just ask Jordan Phillips.

• Haha (+1) 1

The upshot is that this year, there will be no home field advantage, to the extent that there is one in the first place.

On certain plays, in certain stadiums, at certain points in a game, there is definitely a home field advantage.

That won't exist this year.

But remember, it is the same for everyone.

Watch some of the Stanley Cup playoffs and get a feel for what NFL games are going to look like.

It's not the same without a full crowd!