The 4 protected PS spots

Paul Costa

Just now, Paul Costa said:

There are 4 protected PS spots this year. Mine are:
1. Darrell Johnson DE
2. Tyler Bass K
3. a OL ( Boehm)
4. a LB ( Joseph/Dodson)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those protected spots only protect players starting the Thursday (?) of any given week. In other words, those players are still unprotected Monday through Wednesday. 

• Like (+1) 5

If things were how I thought they were, that you could protect four players all season without risking losing them, mine would be...

Jake Fromm

Isaiah Hodgins

Darryl Johnson

Tyler Bass (If he wins the kicking competition, then I'd keep Dane Jackson in this spot.)

But there really is no "protecting" anybody, since they can be stolen away and signed by another team.

Per SI: 

All 32 NFL teams can carry 16 players on their practice squad, including six veteran players. That means experienced players across the league may end up on practice squads this season. 

Teams are allowed to protect four players on the practice squad every Tuesday. For example, the Bengals can block anyone that tries to poach one of their four 'blocked' players starting on Tuesday. If quarterback Jake Dolegala ends up on the practice squad, there would only be about a 36-hour window — Monday and part of Tuesday — where he can leave Cincinnati for an active roster spot on another team. Once the Bengals choose their four players, no team can sign them to their 53-man roster that week.

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Per SI: 

All 32 NFL teams can carry 16 players on their practice squad, including six veteran players. That means experienced players across the league may end up on practice squads this season. 

Teams are allowed to protect four players on the practice squad every Tuesday. For example, the Bengals can block anyone that tries to poach one of their four 'blocked' players starting on Tuesday. If quarterback Jake Dolegala ends up on the practice squad, there would only be about a 36-hour window — Monday and part of Tuesday — where he can leave Cincinnati for an active roster spot on another team. Once the Bengals choose their four players, no team can sign them to their 53-man roster that week.

I can't find anything on the Google.  Does this mean we can carry 17 with Wade?

Cruiser, you beat me to it, and thanks.  There won’t be a static list.  It will be based upon what they expect are on the reserve each week and what they need, and they also can activate this year only to 55 on game day which is a separate issue.

17, I don’t think so, just before this new rule about anyone getting on a practice squad, were able to keep him beyond the old rule, so should still be 16.  If that were the case, then last year we would have had 13 where everyone else had 12.  It didn’t work that way.

8 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

I cannot find where there has been change to the IPP program. But I would be guessing if I answered .

On the normal system Wade was an additional spot, yes. But for the new expanded covid PS not sure if that is the case. 

1 hour ago, 17islongenough said:

I can't find anything on the Google.  Does this mean we can carry 17 with Wade?

41 minutes ago, Cruiserplayer said:

I cannot find where there has been change to the IPP program. But I would be guessing if I answered .

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

On the normal system Wade was an additional spot, yes. But for the new expanded covid PS not sure if that is the case. 

Yes, Wade still counts outside of the normal allotment.

Well, regardless of the rules, it's still an interesting discussion-- who would you place on the practice squad that you would generally want to protect.

McKenzie: With the addition of Diggs, McK's skillset becomes mostly redundant. But, in the event that Diggs (or Andre Roberts) goes down, having McK on standby protects Daboll's playbook from losing the sweeps, end-arounds, reverses, etc. that were McK's wheelhouse last season.

#4 TE: I believe that Lee makes the 53 for his blocking. We need him for that. None of our other TEs are exceptional blockers. I also think it's likely we only carry three. So, whether it's Sweeney, or Kroft, whoever is the odd man out should be protected. (This is assuming that Sweeney is off PUP before the start of the season)

O-Line: Offensive line is likely one of the more high-risk positions in the NFL this season. There could be many teams that experience attrition at this position, and quality depth will be at a premium, IMO. It's remarkable how much depth we have at this moment, and it should not go unnoticed that Spencer Long was immediately snatched up by the 49ers. I suspect that O-Line help-- even at backup-- will be a top priority for teams going forward. Likely candidates for PS O-line spots for us include Ryan Bates, Evan Boehm, and Ike Boattger. Any one of them should get protection on the PS, IMO.

Defensive Tackle: Like the O-line, it's likely that the D-line will also face a higher amount of attrition this season. Now that Star has opted out, the top four DTs seem fairly obvious. But, we will end up with some quality depth at defensive end that will likely be assigned to the PS. Could Trent Murphy find himself on the PS? Whether it's him, Daryl Johnson, or Mike Love, I think it would be wise to keep a quality depth player ay this position protected.

Edited by Rocky Landing

1 hour ago, Cruiserplayer said:

Per SI: 

Seems like crappy protection. Why not allow teams to protect them for the full week?

2 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

There are 4 protected PS spots this year. Mine are:
1. Darrell Johnson DE
2. Tyler Bass K
3. a OL ( Boehm)
4. a LB ( Joseph/Dodson)

9 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Well, regardless of the rules, it's still an interesting discussion-- who would you place on the practice squad that you would generally want to protect.

McKenzie: With the addition of Diggs, McK's skillset becomes mostly redundant. But, in the event that Diggs (or Andre Roberts) goes down, having McK on standby protects Daboll's playbook from losing the sweeps, end-arounds, reverses, etc. that were McK's wheelhouse last season.

#4 TE: I believe that Lee makes the 53 for his blocking. We need him for that. None of our other TEs are exceptional blockers. I also think it's likely we only carry three. So, whether it's Sweeney, or Kroft, whoever is the odd man out should be protected. (This is assuming that Sweeney is off PUP before the start of the season)

O-Line: Offensive line is likely one of the more high-risk positions in the NFL this season. There could be many teams that experience attrition at this position, and quality depth will be at a premium, IMO. It's remarkable how much depth we have at this moment, and it should not go unnoticed that Spencer Long was immediately snatched up by the 49ers. I suspect that O-Line help-- even at backup-- will be a top priority for teams going forward. Likely candidates for PS O-line spots for us include Ryan Bates, Evan Boehm, and Ike Boattger. Any one of them should get protection on the PS, IMO.

Defensive Tackle: Like the O-line, it's likely that the D-line will also face a higher amount of attrition this season. Now that Star has opted out, the top four DTs seem fairly obvious. But, we will end up with some quality depth at defensive end that will likely be assigned to the PS. Could Trent Murphy find himself on the PS? Whether it's him, Daryl Johnson, or Mike Love, I think it would be wise to keep a quality depth player ay this position protected.

Does Boehn or Kroft have PS eligibility left?    Almost certain Kroft does not.  You have to have less than 2 accrued seasons played.

56 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yes, Wade still counts outside of the normal allotment.

This is correct - same as last year - if they designate him without the ability to promote him to the active roster.  Then following the guidance we would get an additional spot, but Wade is sort of separate- just like last year.