Lamar Miller signed by the Pats?

tomur67

I don’t think he’s anything special but I think NE is going to have some wild formation and plays this year.  I won’t be shocked if they have a wishbone formation.  The talk is that they wanted a more mobile qb for a long time. 

Just now, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I suppose they do have cap space now, with all the opt-outs. I think it's good news, if true. It means they're not "Tanking for Trevor".

Was there a link to that article?

Belichick was never going to tank.  That was just stupid talk.  They are going to be really tough still. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I suppose they do have cap space now, with all the opt-outs. I think it's good news, if true. It means they're not "Tanking for Trevor".

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/patriots-sign-lamar-miller-one-year-deal#:~:text=The New England Patriots have,could mean several different things.

New England is very deep at running back, and I expect them to be a run first offense this season, but honestly, there's only one football on the field at any given time.  None of New England's running backs are elite.  Solid, but not elite.  McDermott and Frasier are smart defensive guys.  The signing of Miller is not their undoing.

As I think about it, New England may be preparing to incorporate some of Greg Roman's offense in Baltimore.  Josh McDaniel has the horses at running back and he's got the mobile QB.  It will be interesting to see.  McDermott already has a bead on how to defend it based on Buffalo's game with Baltimore last season.  Lamar Jackson is far more elusive than Cam Newton.  Newton is bigger and harder to bring down after contact, but he's also got some hard miles on him.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

New England is very deep at running back, and I expect them to be a run first offense this season, but honestly, there's only one football on the field at any given time.  None of New England's running backs are elite.  Solid, but not elite.  McDermott and Frasier are smart defensive guys.  The signing of Miller is not their undoing.

As I think about it, New England may be preparing to incorporate some of Greg Roman's offense in Baltimore.  Josh McDaniel has the horses at running back and he's got the mobile QB.  It will be interesting to see.  McDermott already has a bead on how to defend it based on Buffalo's game with Baltimore last season.  Lamar Jackson is far more elusive than Cam Newton.  Newton is bigger and harder to bring down after contact, but he's also got some hard miles on him.

They also have a very good line. Both their guards are very good and they dominate the Bills pretty regularly. 

35 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

that’s a really interesting take. Didn’t even occur to me— but you are right. They may revamp their entire offensive scheme to be run heavy. 

46 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Do we still think Cam is a "running" QB? It feels like that era is over...

It’s definitely true and not worried about it.  At least we know they are going to continue to pound the rock, and use Cam for what he does best.  With all of his injuries, it’s hard to believe he is the same QB he used to be, and what about the defense.  They were destroyed between opt outs and free agency.

As far as the O Line, they lost a RT, a G, and for the run game their Fullback.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

It's right above the link to the article that says signing Cam Newton means they are tanking for Trevor, I guess....

44 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The NFL's 'Sign an Injured Vet' program.  Sign the vet, get a complementary draft pick.  Some restrictions apply.

?

??‍♀️??  NOT FUNNY!  PULL OVER!

For "conduct detrimental to the league," this post has earned NE a 5th round compensatory draft pick in addition to the injured vet rehabilitation comp pick program they are entitled to. Waiting for @Roger Goodell to decide upon additional appropriate sanctions. Keep it up Ridgeway!  :rolleyes:

• Haha (+1) 3

Patriots timeline:

3 months ago: Letting Brady walk is pure Belichick. Tanking for Trevor. Genius!

6 weeks ago: They won't let losing Brady stop them. They signed Cam. They're playing to win. Genius!

3 weeks ago: They are losing players left and right. Obviously tanking for Trevor. Genius!

Today: Signing Lamar Miller shows they are looking to win it all. Genius!

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Patriots timeline:

3 months ago: Letting Brady walk is pure Belichick. Tanking for Trevor. Genius!

6 weeks ago: They won't let losing Brady stop them. They signed Cam. They're playing to win. Genius!

3 weeks ago: They are losing players left and right. Obviously tanking for Trevor. Genius!

Today: Signing Lamar Miller shows they are looking to win it all. Genius!

Bill Belichick: super stable genius! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Do we still think Cam is a "running" QB? It feels like that era is over...

It's pretty much a given that he'll run more than Tom Brady.  On the other hand, it will be considerably less than Lamar Jackson.  Still, incorporating some elements from Baltimore's offense isn't far fetched.  It's a copycat league and Baltimore was wildly successful on offense last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

So whether they are or aren’t, why is this signing evident of anything? 

8 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

It's pretty much a given that he'll run more than Tom Brady.  

?