Would you prefer to make the playoffs or get the #1 pick?

JetsFan20

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I get your point but it’s a good question.  Like if I’m on the team, of course I wanna win.  But as a fan would have rather sneak in the playoffs on a miracle like we did in 2016 knowing we weren’t really good or have 15 years of an elite qb?  It’s a no brainer.  

Dude, you think it's a good question because of your hate ***** for Josh Allen and love any opportunity to talk about our need for an "elite QB".

Just now, 1ManRaid said:

Dude, you think it's a good question because of your hate ***** for Josh Allen and love any opportunity to talk about our need for an "elite QB".

Yeah my bad.  I’m not head over heels in love with our 56%, sub 200 yard passing qb.  I’m crazy for thinking this team would be better with Watson or Mahomes.  Silly me.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah my bad.  I’m not head over heels in love with our 56%, sub 200 yard passing qb.  I’m crazy for thinking this team would be better with Watson or Mahomes.  Silly me.

You are more than justified in thinking Josh Allen may not pan out.  That said, in practice, you do come off as pretty unreasonable about JA. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think the answer is it depends on your team and the draft. It is normally playoffs but if you’re like a .500ish team with little upside maybe not. That holds especially true in a draft with a generational talent at a crucial position. As an example, if I’m a Jags fan this year, I’d rather get Lawrence than be 9-7 and get crushed in the playoffs. I’d say that it’s playoffs 95% of the time but there are exceptions. In the NBA that number can drop as low as 50% depending on the top of the draft. 

bingo. 

getting in on a couple lucky bounces in a weak division doesn’t move the needle for me if I’m in qb purgatory. 

if I’m a solid team that wouldn’t need tooooo many breaks to make noise in the playoffs I’d take that 

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

bingo. 

getting in on a couple lucky bounces in a weak division doesn’t move the needle for me if I’m in qb purgatory. 

if I’m a solid team that wouldn’t need tooooo many breaks to make noise in the playoffs I’d take that 

After years of being in that 10th pic range, this should be the answer for every Bills fan. 

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Kakko put up 10G and 23 points... What can you really expect from another 18 year old?  40ish points?  Maybe?

I’m hoping LaFreniere is more like Sid the Kid, Matthews, McDavid. Instant star. 

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Kakko put up 10G and 23 points... What can you really expect from another 18 year old?  40ish points?  Maybe?

I’m hoping LaFreniere is more like Sid the Kid, Matthews, McDavid. Instant star. 

I think that the drought years jaded us. The goal isn’t “get to the playoffs.” The goal is “compete for a championship.” Every decision that is made should be done with that in mind. Everything else is a waste of time. The Bills should want the playoffs this year as they are constructed. The Jets or Jags should be hoping for the 1st pick and a chance to change their future. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Andrew luck retired because he just didn't want to play anymore and was beat up

He was on Pace to break lots of major passing record in NFL history if he kept playing

Brees and Luck each average 1.98 passing TDs per game 

Average yards per game all time

1- Brees 281.5

2) Stafford 275.3

3) luck 275.2

Luck was literally entering his prime for a QB and if he played as long as Brady or Brees he probably would have taken down those records.

Your points are fully valid, but I think the concept it reinforces is that even picking a highly talented #1 overall pick QB does not guarantee team success

It's just one part of a picture that includes keeping the guy clean and upright and fielding a defense.  Perhaps Luck would not have retired if he weren't so freakin' beat up.

• Like (+1) 1

With this team it’s playoffs all the way! We’ve been to rebuild. I never want them to be as bad as being in contention for the number one pick ever again. I’d rather have a 20 year run like the patriots did where we pick in the bottom 1-5 Because we’re in the mix every post-season.

3 hours ago, PJBrown7 said:

With this team it’s playoffs all the way! We’ve been to rebuild. I never want them to be as bad as being in contention for the number one pick ever again. I’d rather have a 20 year run like the patriots did where we pick in the bottom 1-5 Because we’re in the mix every post-season.

Forget the Patriots. Take a look at these stats. Since 1970 the Steelers have a regular season record of 444-282-2 (.635) and an overall record of 480-305-2 (.635). They have made the playoffs 30 times, won their division 22 times, played in 16 AFC championship games, 8 Super Bowls, 6 Lombardi Trophies. Since 1969 they have had only 3 head coaches, Chuck Noll 1969-91, Bill Cowher 1992-06, Mike Tomlin 2007- present. I want the Bills to try and follow the Steelers way of doing things. They not the Patriots are the real model franchise to follow.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Your points are fully valid, but I think the concept it reinforces is that even picking a highly talented #1 overall pick QB does not guarantee team success

It's just one part of a picture that includes keeping the guy clean and upright and fielding a defense.  Perhaps Luck would not have retired if he weren't so freakin' beat up.

This is true but the argument on the flipside of that - ie. that it would be better to back into the playoffs that one time - doesn't stand up to scrutiny if the basis for that argument is "winning above all else." Those Colts teams Luck took to the playoffs his first three years and to the AFCCG his 3rd year before the injuries started to hit would have been 4 or 5 win teams AT BEST without him. So if you care about making the playoffs then the decision of the Colts to knowingly tank 2011 once it was clear Manning couldn't play and draft Andrew Luck led to playoff appearances and playoff wins. It didn't lead to a Championship..... but the Colts trading for Carson Palmer (as was rumoured at the time) to take a veteran 2011 team to a potential wild card spot wouldn't have led to that either. In the Colts case sucking for Luck was the best way to make the playoffs and win playoff games.

It is a rare situation. @Kirby Jackson acknowledged that in his response and I wholeheartedly agree. Jameis Winston for example was a consensus #1 pick but I wouldn't have advocated a team sucking for him. I didn't advocate teams "tanking for Tua" who is a fine prospect and may have a good career. But in the case of the 2011 Colts and the 2020 Jaguars.... trying to find a vet QB and some vet sticking plasters to aim to be a game either side of .500 is the wrong strategy. The Jags should tank and take Trevor Lawrence. They will not be the horrible irrelevance they have been for most of the past decade for much longer if they do.

15 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Forget the Patriots. Take a look at these stats. Since 1970 the Steelers have a regular season record of 444-282-2 (.635) and an overall record of 480-305-2 (.635). They have made the playoffs 30 times, won their division 22 times, played in 16 AFC championship games, 8 Super Bowls, 6 Lombardi Trophies. Since 1969 they have had only 3 head coaches, Chuck Noll 1969-91, Bill Cowher 1992-06, Mike Tomlin 2007- present. I want the Bills to try and the follow the Steelers way of doing things. They not the Patriots are the real model franchise to follow.

The Steelers have also only had consecutive losing seasons twice since 1970. Incredible. Twice they went 7-9, 6-10 mid 80s and late 90s. Tomlin has never been below .500. Their consistency is staggering. 

Greg and GB, well said.  It is daunting how well the Steelers have done for basically 50 years.  That’s insane.  Another team not as winning, but nevertheless a winning team is Denver.

They just have winning cultures and if we keep McBeane together for the next decade or hopefully longer, we can be another team with this culture.  I don’t see the Pegulas as wanting to make quick or cheap decisions.  They will love having the feather in their cap of a kick butt Bills team for many many years.  As he said a long time ago, when this virus is behind us someday, he just needs to drill another hole to make $.

Oh and god bless them for it.