Would you prefer to make the playoffs or get the #1 pick?

JetsFan20

9 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

As a die-hard Rangers fan I feel like Im in the minority, but I’d prefer to make the playoffs. 

Obviously the #1 pick is a great consolation prize and I was stoked to get it, but at the end of the day I want that shot at a championship. 

In the NBA I’d definitely take the #1 pick, but the other three sports (Baseball, Hockey, and Football) are definitely random enough to give any playoff team a fighting chance at a title. 

What are your thoughts? Would you rather win a game or series and make the playoffs or lose that game or series and end up with the #1 pick?

I ask because I respect Buffalo sports fans.

I'm an Islander fan and you can enjoy the #1 pick. I will enjoy Isles-Caps playoffs. One more day until they drop the puck.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think the answer is it depends on your team and the draft. It is normally playoffs but if you’re like a .500ish team with little upside maybe not. That holds especially true in a draft with a generational talent at a crucial position. As an example, if I’m a Jags fan this year, I’d rather get Lawrence than be 9-7 and get crushed in the playoffs. I’d say that it’s playoffs 95% of the time but there are exceptions. In the NBA that number can drop as low as 50% depending on the top of the draft. 

I personally hope the Jags give Marrone an extension after Gardner Minshew plays well enough to get to 7-9 and they languish in obscurity for the next 5 years

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

It depends who you are as a team.  If you are a well run team missing a top QB then a shot at an elite QB might be the bit of luck you need to get to a SB.  If you are a well run team with a top QB then you’re taking the playoffs.  If you’re a poorly run team then it probably doesn’t matter much either way.  You might as well take the playoffs for a change.

9 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

LaFreniere is going to be wearing a Rangers sweater though. 

McDavid wears an Oilers sweater and how is that working out for them in terms of winning. The Rangers have a good young team already. I give them credit as they have done a nice job rebuilding their team. If he pans out then its great for the Rangers but lets see how he does. Some picks are successful and live up to the hype (Peyton Manning) others don't (Ryan Leaf).

10 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

As a die-hard Rangers fan I feel like Im in the minority, but I’d prefer to make the playoffs. 

Obviously the #1 pick is a great consolation prize and I was stoked to get it, but at the end of the day I want that shot at a championship. 

In the NBA I’d definitely take the #1 pick, but the other three sports (Baseball, Hockey, and Football) are definitely random enough to give any playoff team a fighting chance at a title. 

What are your thoughts? Would you rather win a game or series and make the playoffs or lose that game or series and end up with the #1 pick?

I ask because I respect Buffalo sports fans.

Superbowl or Bust.

21 minutes ago, Greg S said:

McDavid wears an Oilers sweater and how is that working out for them in terms of winning. The Rangers have a good young team already. I give them credit as they have done a nice job rebuilding their team. If he pans out then its great for the Rangers but lets see how he does. Some picks are successful and live up to the hype (Peyton Manning) others don't (Ryan Leaf).

That Tends not to happen in Hockey

44 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

LaFreniere is going to be wearing a Rangers sweater though. 

And? Awfully excited over a kid that’s yet to play a game.

coming back to a Bills board to gloat over your hockey team winning the draft lottery? It’s like you aren’t even trying anymore. Pathetic.

2 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

I look at the NY Giants in both 2007 and 2011. 9-7 type teams that got hot at the right time to make a super bowl run. 

There are countless examples of this from all sports. 

That said I agree the Rangers situation was a little different. It would almost be the same as if the Jets were awarded the #1 pick after losing to the Bills in Week 17 2015.

Still, to me fans have a tendency to overhype draft picks. I’m sure LaFreniere is going to become an excellent forward, but you don’t want to put too high of expectations on a 18 year old kid.  

Lundquist - the Rags WERE NOT making a run.

Re: LaFreniere - High expectations for an 18 year old? You can forget about that. The expectations are already there and will remain. What bears watching is how he handles it from a NY perspective.  

16 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Its weird to say this but I don’t really care about this season without fans, so I would say #1 pick...just feels like scrimmages and exhibition...discuss ?

I thought it would be like that as well. While its certainly different given the times you still want your team to win. For me with the Isles and the NHL playoffs I will be cheering them on like I always do. When the Bills kickoff against the Jets it will be the same thing. I will be cheering them on just like I would during a normal year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Re: LaFreniere - High expectations for an 18 year old? You can forget about that. The expectations are already there and will remain. What bears watching is how he handles it from a NY perspective.  

Even though the Rangers are an original 6 team, play in MSG, and have an extremely large fanbase, they aren't a high profile team with the NYC media. The media here could care less about hockey. When it comes to sports in the NY Metro area its all about the Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets, and Knicks.

44 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Kakko put up 10G and 23 points... What can you really expect from another 18 year old?  40ish points?  Maybe?

I understand the reference given the Rangers draft spot, but to pick a maybe draft pick vs. playoffs is not even a question.  Think how long it will take Cincinnati before Burrow can even make an impact.  What about Mario Williams, Clowney, and so on.  I guess if my team was a dumpster fire like the Jets, I guess I’d pick the top draft considering they’ll be contending for that pick.

Pretty interesting question.

1 - 17 years without that playoffs made me open to doing bad things if it guaranteed a playoff spot (I would be dexter like and only hurt and people).  It is absolutely much harder to miss the playoffs 17 years than luck into a spot like we did in 2017.  It is mind blowing how incompetent the Bills were.  

2 - 2 berths in 3 years is nice so now the goal is bigger.  I have serious doubts about Allen.  If I knew he would have a similar passing year this year to last year, I would totally want the number 1 pick.  Imo, I think Lawrence and Fields (and possibly Lance, though I haven’t seen a ton of him) are better prospects.  This is a team that a good qb could step into and be an instant SB contender for 15 years.  That would be worth it for one bad season.

but this is moot because no matter how talentless the Bills have been, they always manage to win like 6 or 7 games at worst.  That’s been the problem.  They haven’t hit rock bottom enough. 

48 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Even though the Rangers are an original 6 team, play in MSG, and have an extremely large fanbase, they aren't a high profile team with the NYC media. The media here could care less about hockey. When it comes to sports in the NY Metro area its all about the Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets, and Knicks.

I mean that pretty much the case in every US market for hockey.  I grew up playing and loving the sport (was my favorite sport for awhile).  But it’s never going to be huge in the States.  They had a LA-NY finals a few years ago and the ratings were still meh.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Pretty interesting question.

1 - 17 years without that playoffs made me open to doing bad things if it guaranteed a playoff spot (I would be dexter like and only hurt and people).  It is absolutely much harder to miss the playoffs 17 years than luck into a spot like we did in 2017.  It is mind blowing how incompetent the Bills were.  

2 - 2 berths in 3 years is nice so now the goal is bigger.  I have serious doubts about Allen.  If I knew he would have a similar passing year this year to last year, I would totally want the number 1 pick.  Imo, I think Lawrence and Fields (and possibly Lance, though I haven’t seen a ton of him) are better prospects.  This is a team that a good qb could step into and be an instant SB contender for 15 years.  That would be worth it for one bad season.

but this is moot because no matter how talentless the Bills have been, they always manage to win like 6 or 7 games at worst.  That’s been the problem.  They haven’t hit rock bottom enough. 

I mean that pretty much the case in every US market for hockey.  I grew up playing and loving the sport (was my favorite sport for awhile).  But it’s never going to be huge in the States.  They had a LA-NY finals a few years ago and the ratings were still meh.

Good post although I disagree about Fields, whereas I prefer Allen. I think that Allen is a much better prospect but of course this doesn't make me correct.

Again, I liken Lawrence to Elway in terms of pure, measureable talent. Quite the compliment, no?

2 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Good post although I disagree about Fields, whereas I prefer Allen. I think that Allen is a much better prospect but of course this doesn't make me correct.

Again, I liken Lawrence to Elway in terms of pure, measureable talent. Quite the compliment, no?

Definitely agree on Trevor, though he did take a step back last year.

what don’t you like about Fields?  I think he has it all.  I Know OSU’s offense is very qb friendly but he also completed 69% of his passes at Georgia.  Georgia would be national championship front runners if that racist baseball player didn’t make Fields transfer. 

3 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm not crapping on you as a person, I'm crapping on your dumb ideas and threads.

"Would you rather have a good competitive team, or suck so bad you get the At Least You Tried consolation prize?"

I get your point but it’s a good question.  Like if I’m on the team, of course I wanna win.  But as a fan would have rather sneak in the playoffs on a miracle like we did in 2016 knowing we weren’t really good or have 15 years of an elite qb?  It’s a no brainer.