John Brown with high praise for rookie WRs “Gabriel Davis playing all over the field”

YoloinOhio

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hodgins lacks speed and separation ability for me. 

Big Tall Guys always have that Question however his Three Cone at 7.01 was good and that is better than Metcalf was.  Both his Broad Jump and Vertical numbers where in the area you would want them.  His 40 was on a the slow side.

I would have to see when he ran his drills again, because I know there were bad times this year with the move to a Primetime event and having these guys sit around all day before getting to their Drills.

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Hodgins lacks speed and separation ability for me. 

I think your miss interpreting 40 speed = seperation ability.  I Hodgins has little chance outside because he wont threaten any CB deep.  As a slot reciever he hss real potential to make a career for himself.  His agility ratings suggest he should excel at those kind of routes and generate the required seperation.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Buh Bye Duke Williams and Robert Foster

I never understand these view points.  Wouldn't it be better if they improved their games as well?  I wouldn't mind see Duke look like he did in Canada and Foster play like he did in 2018.  That would be the best case scenario although it would be better if we had preseason games to display that performance.

With that being said this is very exciting news if it translates to in game production on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I never understand these view points.  Wouldn't it be better if they improved their games as well?  I wouldn't mind see Duke look like he did in Canada and Foster play like he did in 2018.  That would be the best case scenario although it would be better if we had preseason games to display that performance.

With that being said this is very exciting news if it translates to in game production on the field.

Because it is.  How many WRs are you going to keep.

2019 - 2 Big UFA Contracts

2020 - Trading for One 

Drafting 2

I think that tells you all you need to know about what they think about their WR room

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Roberts - Yes his return skills lock him.

Davis 

----------------------------------------Locks

Leaving:

Isaiah Hodgins - Their recent Draft pick

Isaiah McKenzie

Robert Foster

Nick Easley

Duke WIlliams

Fighting for 1 spot.

Duke Williams - good story didnt translate his CFL play to NFL in first year

Robert Foster now pretty removed from a 6 game stretch that he looked the part.

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Why Roberts? And don’t say because of Punt Return ability...

That’s exactly why he makes the team and was acquired before.  McD knows there are three phases to a team and Roberts is one of the top 5-6 returners in the NFL.  Most returners are with WR’s, DB’s, and in some cases a RB.  If you’re keeping a 6th WR, if he is a top returner he makes the team.  This team doesn’t even do many 4 wide sets.  They lean more on three so he’s not just a back up, but a dedicated returner.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Why not? He was 8th in yards per punt return and 4th in yards per kick return.

Is that somehow a bad thing?

Exactly. I recently rewatched whole last season. There were many things which stood out, and one of them was how exceptionally reliable Roberts was. He makes good decisions, catches everything, does not fumble and constantly gains as much as possible from each return. I'd keep him for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean yes, he did, but you didn't need to be Brandon Beane to know that.... everyone and his dog knew it was a stacked WR class.

My point was in response to "they were only 4th and 6th round picks" -- in such a deep class that means less than it might ordinarily...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

I think your miss interpreting 40 speed = seperation ability.  I Hodgins has little chance outside because he wont threaten any CB deep.  As a slot reciever he hss real potential to make a career for himself.  His agility ratings suggest he should excel at those kind of routes and generate the required seperation.

Nope, I am not. I am basing this on his tape not his 40 time. 

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I hope one of these guys steps up because we badly need size at receiver.  But this regime’s drafting of receivers has been terrible.  As good as they are on defense, they are that bad at receiver. 

Not sure what you are talking about. Only receiver drafted last 3 years in rounds 1-5 was Zay Jones and if I remember correctly Beane was not in the building - he was hired after the draft. We also fired complete scouting staff shortly thereafter. I don't think we can say he was drafted by "this regime".

This regime only drafted McCloud and Proehl in 6th and 7th round and their success in NFL correlates to their draft position.

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Georgie said:

First they have to MAKE the practice squad.  Would have to  be cut and then would likely get picked up by  another team. Cant be automatically assigned to PS,have to exposed to waivers .The "protection" starts on a Tuesday, so they would still be vulnerable for a couple days.

It’s likely that players who are cut will not be picked up by other teams because they don’t have much film on them.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

It’s likely that players who are cut will not be picked up by other teams because they don’t have much film on them.

This year's practice squad signings will be revealing. Are the Bills relying on what they see in practice, or are their decisions based on scouting? I bet we will figure out real quick based on how many non-Bills PS signings they make. 

Also, and I say it because I don't think its mentioned anywhere else, how much does it suck we don't get to see Christian Wade this year? 

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Also remember that if a player is about to be poached off the practice squad we can still sign him to our active roster if he wants to stay. 

Yep but that is if we get them back in the first place. When we initially cut them at the end of camp they have to clear waivers first. 

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep but that is if we get them back in the first place. When we initially cut them at the end of camp they have to clear waivers first. 

Yep. I was only referring to putting them on the PS in response to a poster saying that teams aren't as likely to sign guys that were cut this year as much as previous years. But of course, you're right, they would have to be cut first, and since there hasn't been OTAs and preseason games to downgrade a player, teams could well rely on their draft scouting reports on a guy like Hodgins, and think he may be better than our 5 or 6 we are planning to keep.

• Like (+1) 1

It seems there’s too much pep in Browns words for this to be cast off as typical ‘pro-team’ rah-rah nonsense so that’s good. 

they were drafted too late for me to have had high hopes for them as prospects so this is nice to hear. Let’s see how they pan out. 

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

40 speed equates more to deep threat speed where you simply run away from a guy.

Good agility gives you the ability to create separation from changing direction. 

The fact that he is a big bodied receiver at 6' 4" and over 210 lbs means he will present a big target closer to the LOS which means he can shield the defender from the ball, so even if he might be covered, Allen can still throw it to him knowing the defender can't get to it.

All of this at this point is theoretical, but the potential is there for him to be highly effective and used similar to Beasley.

He is said to have great body control, ball skills and hands, with some saying he has the best hands in the entire draft.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/4/25/21236722/opinion-isaiah-hodgins-is-a-steal-with-amazing-ball-skills-for-buffalo-bills-2020-nfl-draft

Edited by matter2003

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Hodgins yes. Davis not really. In a not so stacked WR class he's probably a late 2nd round pick. 

For whatever reason they fall, they fell. 

I expect nothing from anybody drafted after round 4. To me they’re all flyers. And whenever we hit, I’m stoked. 

But I think your take on this sounds right.