John Brown with high praise for rookie WRs “Gabriel Davis playing all over the field”

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

In my mind we actually drafted 3 wide outs because we gave a 1st for Diggs......we really invested in WR this year which was smart.

I honestly dont expect IH to just be a throw away pick.....he may very well end up on the practice squad but I think he is going to be playing for us at some point

I hadn't thought of it that way - drafted three wideouts - but it's an interesting POV. Hope you're right about Hodgins. I'm less sure about that than you are, but it certainly seems possible.

If these guys actually contribute this year it will be a testament to all the heavy work the scouts did on evaluating college WRs this year, obviously thinking we would take one early prior to trading for Diggs, but that work didn’t go to waste as they picked these two for a reason. Could be 1 or two steals. I think Davis makes the 53 and the expanded PS should give Hodgins a shot to stick there. Interesting to hear Brown talk about how smart they are. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Another example of how thoroughly Brandon Beane researches prospects in preparation for the draft.  The book on Davis was that he was pretty athletic, but ran a limited route tree in college.  That may have been true, but Beane's staff figured out that he had a head on his shoulders and the dedication to learn what he needed to be an NFL receiver.  We already knew that Hodgins was a crafty route runner who could gain separation.  The knock on him was that he's not too fast and while he's tall, he's not real strong.  He can get stronger, but he'll probably never be a burner.

8 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Another example of how thoroughly Brandon Beane researches prospects in preparation for the draft.  The book on Davis was that he was pretty athletic, but ran a limited route tree in college.  That may have been true, but Beane's staff figured out that he had a head on his shoulders and the dedication to learn what he needed to be an NFL receiver.  We already knew that Hodgins was a crafty route runner who could gain separation.  The knock on him was that he's not too fast and while he's tall, he's not real strong.  He can get stronger, but he'll probably never be a burner.

Two most important traits for an nfl WR imo:

-route running

-hands 

separation is important but there are different ways to achieve that 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

-route running

-hands 

Separation. Is one of my pet peeves.  Practically no #2 gets separation on his own.  They get separation on scheme and route running.  If Rober Woods could get separation consistently he would be a number 1.  He is a route runner with hands. 

So I agree with your two most important traits.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

-route running

-hands 

My post was not intended to say Hodgins can't be a successful NFL receiver.  I was just reminding posters how he was viewed before he was drafted.  Hodgins, by the way,  was said to have terrific hands.  

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

What’s interesting is your inability to recognize a joke. Well maybe not interesting. I’m sure I’ll think of a word.

Nope. I certainly did recognize it was a joke, and that I then went on to point out that for a joke, I considered it a poor one, comparing two situations that had virtually nothing in common.

Or rather, nothing but that both of them involved Marcel in reporting, which seeing it's his job is not unusual.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

-route running

-hands 

Hunh?

Good route-running is good precisely because it helps get separation. There are other benefits, such as possibly helping with positioning, but separation is the primary benefit of good route-running. I'd argue separation isn't really a trait, it's more a byproduct of certain skills and abilities than a talent on it's own.

Yeah, athletic suddenness is another way to get separation, but route-running is mostly about making yourself less predictable to d-backs so you can delay their response an instant and get separation.

Hopefully Hodgins can improve his route-running. I certainly don't disagree that route-running is absolutely huge for WRs.

• Like (+1) 1

I expected Davis to get some pretty meaningful playing time anyway, Hodgins is in a roster battle, he better have come to play or he won’t have a spot AND it’s going to be super difficult for rookies to pick up new jobs without a preseason. 

I see it as:

locks:

Diggs

Smoke

Beez

Davis

battling for a spot:

Roberts (makes it unless something happened to his speed, solid WR and great KR, special teams will be a need this year)

McKenzie - gadget player maybe a returner

Foster- size/speed combo , maybe flipped for a late round pick.

Duke - size and supposedly great hands

Hodgins- spent a pick on him, probably try to get him to PS .

my guess is Roberts and McKenzie make it.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m optimistic about both Davis and Hodgins  but my expectations are low at the moment..

They are a fourth and sixth round  pick after all... they can’t all be Milano’s ...

Let’s not forget that Beane values a lot of these Day 3  picks as simply fodder to move up in rounds 2 and 3 ( see Ford and Dawson last year and was apparently looking for a partner this year to move up for Moss)...

I want/expect  him to hit with ALL his picks in the first three rounds but if Davis works out then I won’t be complaining...

But this time next year I would prefer to be saying what a genius he was for picking Epenesa and Moss rather than a Day 3 WR..

And yes... I do acknowledge that Diggs was a Day 3 WR...  

Edited by Aussie Joe

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hunh?

Good route-running is good precisely because it helps get separation. There are other benefits, such as possibly helping with positioning, but separation is the primary benefit of good route-running. I'd argue separation isn't really a trait, it's more a byproduct of certain skills and abilities than a talent on it's own.

Yeah, athletic suddenness is another way to get separation, but route-running is mostly about making yourself less predictable to d-backs so you can delay their response an instant and get separation.

Hopefully Hodgins can improve his route-running. I certainly don't disagree that route-running is absolutely huge for WRs.

This is correct. Separation is a by product of other abilities and can generally be achieved through speed and athleticism or through skilled route running. There is also the odd receiver - Dez Bryant was one - who generates what I call "vertical separation" through a consistent ability to play above the rim and get higher than defenders. 

But this is also kind of my concerns with Hodgins. I think he is a good route runner and yet he still struggled to separate at the college level. I am not sure how many efficiencies there are to be found in his route running. Maybe an NFL strength and conditioning programme helps him to generate extra speed? I think he probably needs to. While he was a good contested catch receiver in college as we all know with Zay Jones that can soon change in the NFL when you are contesting those catches with a higher level of athlete. 

I am not writing him off I just don't know how much ceiling there is there. When I look at Gabe there are definite efficiencies I think can be made in his get off that should help him separate more. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I expected Davis to get some pretty meaningful playing time anyway, Hodgins is in a roster battle, he better have come to play or he won’t have a spot AND it’s going to be super difficult for rookies to pick up new jobs without a preseason. 

I see it as:

locks:

Diggs

Smoke

Beez

Davis

battling for a spot:

Roberts (makes it unless something happened to his speed, solid WR and great KR, special teams will be a need this year)

McKenzie - gadget player maybe a returner

Foster- size/speed combo , maybe flipped for a late round pick.

Duke - size and supposedly great hands

Hodgins- spent a pick on him, probably try to get him to PS .

my guess is Roberts and McKenzie make it.

I pretty much said the same thing.  Either Hodgins makes the 53, and McKenzie makes the PS or the reverse.

19 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Good to hear. I would think both have a shot to make the roster or possibly protected on the practice squad.

First they have to MAKE the practice squad.  Would have to  be cut and then would likely get picked up by  another team. Cant be automatically assigned to PS,have to exposed to waivers .The "protection" starts on a Tuesday, so they would still be vulnerable for a couple days.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I’m optimistic about both Davis and Hodgins  but my expectations are low at the moment..

They are a fourth and sixth round  pick after all... they can’t all be Milano’s ...

I don’t know why, but I found myself rewatching this season’s “Embedded” that took us through the Bills’ pre-draft process.  What stuck out is how Beane said at the combine, when they were watching the WRs, something to the effect of “gosh, there are so many good ones this year.”

Don’t underestimate the Beaner.

17 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well, Roberts doesn’t have anything to worry about.  “Hey, Roberts, when they kick or punt that ball to you, just run Forest run”.  I knew Davis would have a real shot at making the 53.  It would be great if Hodgins does as well.  Remember Brown and Beasley are 30 and 31.  In two years these guys will be great adds to the team and cheap labor for four years.  Foster is all but gone, Williams to the PS, and maybe McKenzie is kept as he can play WR, DB in a pinch, returner, and overall gadget guy.

Diggs

Brown

Beasely

Roberts

Davis

Hodgins

Speed, elusiveness, over the middle, returner, and now finally size.  Foster should work hard at finding work at one of the places weak at WR.  We’re not there anymore for once.

Why Roberts? And don’t say because of Punt Return ability...

1 hour ago, eball said:

I don’t know why, but I found myself rewatching this season’s “Embedded” that took us through the Bills’ pre-draft process.  What stuck out is how Beane said at the combine, when they were watching the WRs, something to the effect of “gosh, there are so many good ones this year.”

Don’t underestimate the Beaner.

I mean yes, he did, but you didn't need to be Brandon Beane to know that.... everyone and his dog knew it was a stacked WR class.