John Brown with high praise for rookie WRs “Gabriel Davis playing all over the field”

YoloinOhio

If this team hits long term on Davis that will be huge for this team going forward. Brown and Beasley are older (and Brown carries a big injury history) and Diggs isn't super young for the position. If McBeane can get a guy like Davis to develop into a higher end starting WR it would greatly ensure the future of the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was upset when Beane & Co. picked Gabe over Antonio Gandy-Golden. (His college highlight tape was the closest thing I've ever seen to Jerry Rice's at Mississippi Valley State; not saying he's the next Jerry Rice, just the tapes had equal "WOW" factors.)

But I also trust Beane. If he picked a worker who will contribute now, and might start in a few years, it'll soon be "Antonio WHO??"

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Sooooo at the risk of being that overdramatic fan that reads too far into everything: those vets that don't know the playbook are Foster and Duke, right? 

Good bet.  I hope it isn't Diggs!

Man, it's all so competitive.  Absolute dogfights for a job.  

Talk about managing the roster.  Receivers added since January 1, 2019:  Beasley, Brown, Knox, Kroft, Williams, Diggs, Hodgins, and Davis.

• Like (+1) 2

Well, Roberts doesn’t have anything to worry about.  “Hey, Roberts, when they kick or punt that ball to you, just run Forest run”.  I knew Davis would have a real shot at making the 53.  It would be great if Hodgins does as well.  Remember Brown and Beasley are 30 and 31.  In two years these guys will be great adds to the team and cheap labor for four years.  Foster is all but gone, Williams to the PS, and maybe McKenzie is kept as he can play WR, DB in a pinch, returner, and overall gadget guy.

Diggs

Brown

Beasely

Roberts

Davis

Hodgins

Speed, elusiveness, over the middle, returner, and now finally size.  Foster should work hard at finding work at one of the places weak at WR.  We’re not there anymore for once.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:
Just an unacceptable answer here from John Brown. He didn’t even answer the question and he had ample chance to explain what he’s helped the rookies with.

Unacceptable answer? Are you serious? Smoke is clearly demonstrating leadership here in calling out rookies for being ready and well prepared.  That IS just one way that he's helping them.  This should be obvious to all but the jaded.  Props to John Brown for showing how to lead as well...

13 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

Unacceptable answer? Are you serious? Smoke is clearly demonstrating leadership here in calling out rookies for being ready and well prepared.  That IS just one way that he's helping them.  This should be obvious to all but the jaded.  Props to John Brown for showing how to lead as well...

lot of people missing the Marcel Louis-Jaques joke.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

If this team hits long term on Davis that will be huge for this team going forward. Brown and Beasley are older (and Brown carries a big injury history) and Diggs isn't super young for the position. If McBeane can get a guy like Davis to develop into a higher end starting WR it would greatly ensure the future of the team. 

Diggs is 26. He hasn't even entered his prime yet

He's totally young for a wide receiver

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

At the end of it.  I am going to say I think Hodgins will be the Gem out of these two WRs.  And I like Davis as well, I just think there is more upside with Hodgins

Think totally the opposite. Not completely discounting Hodgins but think Gabe Davis's ceiling is very high. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Think totally the opposite. Not completely discounting Hodgins but think Gabe Davis's ceiling is very high. 

I have Watched a Ton of Gabe Davis in UCF.  I do see him as an outside looking in WR1 with top end WR2.  Hodgins with that Size Speed Combo opposite Diggs, and you have a 1A and 1B in the future, granted they have to hit those benchmarks but everything is projection right now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Buh Bye Duke Williams and Robert Foster

Foster caught 3 of 18 targets last year... How will we replace production like that?!!!!  I wonder if either will end up playing some on special teams this season.  Helps you get an active spot on gameday.  Mckenzie v roberts will be interesting too.  1.5 mil vs. 750k in savings on cap.  I think Roberts is the more secure returner of the 2, but mckenzie definitely showed some abilities on offense (3 TDs and 500 yards on like 60 touches).  

Duke was a nice story, and both he and foster probably still have PS eligibility.  Nice to have guys there who have played a bit in the NFL, and who have familiarity across the offense.  If we lose them - no harm.  Neither was particularly good.

58 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well, Roberts doesn’t have anything to worry about.  “Hey, Roberts, when they kick or punt that ball to you, just run Forest run”.  I knew Davis would have a real shot at making the 53.  It would be great if Hodgins does as well.  Remember Brown and Beasley are 30 and 31.  In two years these guys will be great adds to the team and cheap labor for four years.  Foster is all but gone, Williams to the PS, and maybe McKenzie is kept as he can play WR, DB in a pinch, returner, and overall gadget guy.

Diggs

Brown

Beasely

Roberts

Davis

Hodgins

Speed, elusiveness, over the middle, returner, and now finally size.  Foster should work hard at finding work at one of the places weak at WR.  We’re not there anymore for once.

You won't keep 7, so to me mckenzie and roberts is a battle on its own.  

Dnevue, not me saying it.  Those MTC guys broke down all the position groups and most teams with maybe an exception or two bepased on coaching tendencies tend to keep the same amt. at each position group.  I don’t have a problem with 7, but if they moved the PS up to 16, and they can be activated as late as Saturday night, then you have to ask, if they move to7 on the 53, then where does that spot come from on what other position group.  You definitely don’t want to lower the RB’s or O Lineman as those guys get hurt more easily than a WR simply due to the repeated contact.

57 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I have Watched a Ton of Gabe Davis in UCF.  I do see him as an outside looking in WR1 with top end WR2.  Hodgins with that Size Speed Combo opposite Diggs, and you have a 1A and 1B in the future, granted they have to hit those benchmarks but everything is projection right now.

Hodgins lacks speed and separation ability for me.