BIG10 Cancels Cancelling the Season- It Starts 10/23

Mike in Horseheads

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Paragraph 1.  No.  Nice try at spinning a lie.  I never said that.  I'm against kids playing when it is not demonstrably safe to participate in view of COVID-19 concerns.  

You want "foolproof" testing. Your words not mine. There are no foolproof covid19 tests whereas they are littered with false positives and negatives. You are not making sense, sorry. Perhaps you should defend your posts under other screen names.

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You want "foolproof" testing. Your words not mine. There are no foolproof covid19 tests whereas they are littered with false positives and negatives. You are not making sense, sorry. Perhaps you should defend your posts under other screen names.

Now we’re getting somewhere.  In the absence of foolproof testing, amateurs whose activities support large paychecks for administrators and coaches shouldn’t be exposed to risk of either death or significant long term physical consequence for the purpose of playing a game.  In other words, I’m against the exploitation of children and young adults.  You apparently feel differently, and that’s fine.  Thank you for not tarnishing your prior post with lies, exaggerations, and falsehoods. 

12 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Now we’re getting somewhere.  In the absence of foolproof testing, amateurs whose activities support large paychecks for administrators and coaches shouldn’t be exposed to risk of either death or significant long term physical consequence for the purpose of playing a game.  In other words, I’m against the exploitation of children and young adults.  You apparently feel differently, and that’s fine.  Thank you for not tarnishing your prior post with lies, exaggerations, and falsehoods. 

Please stop with your trite, supercilious nonsense. Tell me, where were your moans of discontent when the SEC came out with a 10 game schedule?

You are easy to see through.  Hurry, reply with another screen name! :):thumbsup:

Edited by Bill from NYC

7 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Please stop with your trite, supercilious nonsense. Tell me, where were your moans of discontent when the SEC came out with a 10 game schedule?

You are easy to see through.  Hurry, reply with another screen name! :):thumbsup:

Has the SEC been discussed in this thread?  Nope.  At issue here is the Big 10.  My points have been noted.  Like I said, if you find the exploitation of children for the benefit of adults acceptable, that’s on you.  I see it differently.  I suppose we hold different values, and it’s best to leave things at “that.”

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Has the SEC been discussed in this thread?  Nope.  At issue here is the Big 10.  My points have been noted.  Like I said, if you find the exploitation of children for the benefit of adults acceptable, that’s on you.  I see it differently.  I suppose we hold different values, and it’s best to leave things at “that.”

Daily antigen testing isn’t good enough? Any positive test and the player is out 21 days. Btw any player who doesn’t want the risk can opt out and it won’t affect scholarship and eligibility. Where is the exploitation 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Daily antigen testing isn’t good enough? Any positive test and the player is out 21 days. Btw any player who doesn’t want the risk can opt out and it won’t affect scholarship and eligibility. Where is the exploitation 

See Washington State re: your last point.  

Is the daily antigen testing foolproof?  To my understanding, it’s not.  So why not wait until Spring?  If this truly is about “student athletes,” then there should be no harm in waiting until Spring to give science the opportunity to get a better handle on the pandemic.  But, as we know, this really is about the conference’s TV and bowl contracts, so we’ll unnecessarily rush the kids back in and see what happens.   

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

Is the daily antigen testing foolproof?  To my understanding, it’s not.  So why not wait until Spring?  If this truly is about “student athletes,” then there should be no harm in waiting until Spring to give science the opportunity to get a better handle on the pandemic.  But, as we know, this really is about the conference’s TV and bowl contracts, so we’ll unnecessarily rush the kids back in and see what happens.   

I don’t think i can discuss this if that’s even on the table 

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

The SEC decision came out long ago. You didn't post a syllable about it now did ya? Why were you not riding on your sanctimonious high horse about that with all of your deep concern for kids?

That said, at least we can agree that it certainly is time to end this rather boring conversation.

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

The SEC decision came out long ago. You didn't post a syllable about it now did ya? Why were you not riding on your sanctimonious high horse about that with all of your deep concern for kids?

That said, at least we can agree that it certainly is time to end this rather boring conversation.

SEC isn’t in the thread.  And, for what it’s worth, the SEC is even worse than the Big 10 in this respect.   Bottom line: I place the health of children over money and my own entertainment.  You don’t. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think i can discuss this if that’s even on the table 

It was as of 24 hours ago.  When this was allegedly about the kids.  

Now, I agree with you - spring football is not a good plan unless the fall schedule 2021 schedule is reduced or modified.  Asking kids to play up to 23 games in a calendar year is a bad, bad idea.  And I suppose asking them to play up to 18 (8 game RS schedule in each of spring/fall; 2 possible conference championship games) isn’t a good plan either.  So the best plan probably would have been to have cancelled the 2020 season altogether.  But, as we know, money drives the NCAA and now, apparently, the Big 10, so we’re just going to roll the dice and see what happens. 

22 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Has one college kid that has tested positive for COVID even ended up in the hospital?  I have heard they have had -0- hospitalizations.  Life is full of risks.  Stepping on that football field, kids have far greater risks than Covid.  If this is truly your stance, than you should be against football all together.

22 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

& BTW, spring is an awful dangerous idea on so many levels.  So your going to have these kids play in spring, turn around 2 months later & start summer practices or getting ready for the kids that get drafted to go into NFL Camps for the first time.  Talk about injury waiting to happen.  My guess is you have never played a contact sport in your life.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Has one college kid that has tested positive for COVID even ended up in the hospital?  I have heard they have had -0- hospitalizations.  Life is full of risks.  Stepping on that football field, kids have far greater risks than Covid.  If this is truly your stance, than you should be against football all together.

& BTW, spring is an awful dangerous idea on so many levels.  So your going to have these kids play in spring, turn around 2 months later & start summer practices or getting ready for the kids that get drafted to go into NFL Camps for the first time.  Talk about injury waiting to happen.  My guess is you have never played a contact sport in your life.

Non-COVID risk is known and assumed.  COVID risk is unknown, as are the long-term effects (e.g., lung scarring) effects.  

The NFL issue is a non-starter for me.  It’s not the responsibility of the college to protect the kids from the future employer.  A small fraction of NCAA players end up in NFL camps, and their interests should not override safety concerns and protections for the far larger group of NCAAF football participants who will not participate in post-collegiate professional sports. 

Edited by SectionC3

you may have heard about the Big 10 infestation of myocarditis that cancelled Big 10 sports

"The Penn State doctor had said 30 to 35 percent of the cardiac MRI scans conducted on Big Ten athletes who had contracted Covid-19 appeared to show myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle."

as with most covid reporting, the below follow up was not covered extensively

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/03/health/penn-state-big-10-myocarditis-covid-spt-trnd/index.html

seems the good doc was "unintentionally citing outdated numbers" from some theoretical "study" 

"During his discussion with board members, (Sebastianelli) recalled initial preliminary data that had been verbally shared by a colleague on a forthcoming study, which unbeknownst to him at the time had been published at a lower rate," said Scott Gilbert, a spokesman for the school's health department said. "The research was not conducted by Dr. Sebastianelli or Penn State. Dr. Sebastianelli wishes to clarify this point, and apologize for any confusion.

"Additionally, some have inferred his comments may have related directly to Penn State student athletes. At this time, there have been no cases of myocarditis in COVID-19 positive student-athletes at Penn State."

0 cases at Penn State - but the good doc from Penn State thought it wise to push for Big 10 to cancel all sports

Edited by spartacus

1 hour ago, spartacus said:

you may have heard about the Big 10 infestation of myocarditis that cancelled Big 10 sports

"The Penn State doctor had said 30 to 35 percent of the cardiac MRI scans conducted on Big Ten athletes who had contracted Covid-19 appeared to show myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle."

as with most covid reporting, the below follow up was not covered extensively

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/03/health/penn-state-big-10-myocarditis-covid-spt-trnd/index.html

seems the good doc was "unintentionally citing outdated numbers" from some theoretical "study" 

"During his discussion with board members, (Sebastianelli) recalled initial preliminary data that had been verbally shared by a colleague on a forthcoming study, which unbeknownst to him at the time had been published at a lower rate," said Scott Gilbert, a spokesman for the school's health department said. "The research was not conducted by Dr. Sebastianelli or Penn State. Dr. Sebastianelli wishes to clarify this point, and apologize for any confusion.

"Additionally, some have inferred his comments may have related directly to Penn State student athletes. At this time, there have been no cases of myocarditis in COVID-19 positive student-athletes at Penn State."

0 cases at Penn State - but the good doc from Penn State thought it wise to push for Big 10 to cancel all sports

The follow up was covered very extensively here! Lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.