Ed Oliver interview - NFL put him in the drug program?

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, SWATeam said:

lol

Yeah, I used to watch it back in the day, and I still see the articles that they post, it’s no different. Two things can be true at once, I don’t watch the news, and I can understand the propaganda continues through other mediums. How about that? Crazy to think through isn’t it?  Fox is a propaganda pusher too. 

19 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yes. That is how police encounters work. Under any circumstance, you have to comply. If you do not, the police will use the appropriate amount of force to achieve compliance. Once force is introduced, the situation becomes unpredictable and you risk serious injury and/or death.  That is true regardless of race, and the suggestion that it is "odd" that failure to comply could result in serious injury is absurd. Does anyone really believe they can say "no" to the police? 

This is pretty much the way I understand things to be too. Apparently the problems begin when some think that noncompliance is optional!!

Look you can’t tell everything from a video either. I watched the available videos of Big Ed’s episode. He seemed to be very respectful on the outside and the police also showed nothing out of the ordinary. But we can’t tell what’s being said by either party! We can’t get all the details from just a video! The same as Floyd’s murder! We can see that from the video and the autopsy report that his life was ended by that cop! Intentionally is the issue. We have no way of knowing what that cop was thinking or even every absolute bit of evidence that a jury will be going through later! To do so is only speculation!!!

Ed needs to be careful here as far as what he says. He certainly can have his own opinion but is it fact? If there are no real reasons for that cop to think that he was drunk than he certainly should have been released immediately!! And if there is real evidence to show that he was detained without reason than by all means make a stink about it!! Make sure that it’s real and not partly hype! I have heard of and experienced being pulled over for no reason. I think all of my black friends have told of it happening to them!! I can speculate that maybe some of them are not being totally upfront but certainly not most that I know. See the danger of speculation in that statement??!

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Oliver's story seems to be that there never was an open alcohol container. It was a made up charge to give the cops an excuse to arrest him. Considering the supposed open container never turned into an actual charge I'm inclined to believe Oliver's version of events. Which would mean he was arrested and booked in jail for a night after doing literally nothing wrong, even after blowing 0.0 at the scene. Does that sit right with you? And if this sort of thing happens to him, what do you think happens when the arrested isn't a millionaire with a good attorney?

This is the sort of police abuse people are angry about. No one should have to just accept being thrown in jail for a night with no evidence of anything. That isn't freedom. For some people that could lose them a night of work that they desperately need to feed their family. Maybe they're talked into taking a plea deal because they don't know their rights. You're not seeing the larger problem that this represents.

No this specific situation does not sit well with me, he handled it the way a person should handle it. What I’m not going to do is generalize this across all systems. Sometimes we all get tough luck, I got profiled and pulled over for being a young teen with young teen friends in the car, no other reason. I acted respectful, he kept us for awhile, made me late for work and I got reprimanded for it. Point is, act with civility and nothing will escalate in the overwhelming cases of being stopped by a cop. Those situations where it’s a fact that there was negligence or racist intention, throw the darn book at them, let them roast! It’s not systemic like they’d like you to believe. Most police got into the business because they believe in justice and act accordingly. 

This particular situation seems egregious on its face, but I also don’t have the other sides story on this. I can’t make an informed opinion and I’m certainly as heck not going to chalk this up to racism in the absence of all sides of the story. That’s what got us into this mess in the first place, lived experiences replacing actual facts. 

21 hours ago, KGun12TD said:

Welcome to being a minority in America!

Lots of ignorance in this country right now, I'm probably not referring to what you think I am though.

This happens to white people too.  Law enforcement and the entire Judicial system as well as DSS and similar agencies are out of control and basically do whatever they want.

If you allow them to distract you with race then the actual problem doesn't get addressed.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Lots of ignorance in this country right now, I'm probably not referring to what you think I am though.

This happens to white people too.  Law enforcement and the entire Judicial system as well as DSS and similar agencies are out of control and basically do whatever they want.

If you allow them to distract you with race then the actual problem doesn't get addressed.

Although I agree 100%...it doesn't change that fact that this has been going on for a very long time. The difference today is its being videoed and shared. technology is exposing a lot of issues as much as it has created some.

My comment isn't political or meant to be a negative...its truly sad that individuals have to go through this stuff on a daily basis.

Edited by KGun12TD
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Most cops are good cops.  There are some bad cops no doubt and others who could use better training.  

Some times cops pull over someone who has an outstanding arrest warrant hence guns are drawn on the vehicle approach.

Most videos don't tell the complete story.  They usually don't cover the entire incident and therefore can be absent of the complete set of circumstances.

No, these videos were full length unedited including followup updates on the lawsuits stemming from them.  These guys had cameras rolling because they kept getting harassed and needed evidence to make it stop.  It had nothing to do with some vague assertion about possible warrants.  One cop's excuse was that the sound of his car backfiring could have been him firing guns for no reason, another was that his vape cloud could have been weed.  Another guy from out of state who drives exotic cars keeps getting ticketed or towed by cops who know him on false charges of requiring an in-state driving license to drive there (you don't).

As I said, if they want you to have a bad time, you're gonna have a bad time under the guise of qualified immunity.

36 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

No, these videos were full length unedited including followup updates on the lawsuits stemming from them.  These guys had cameras rolling because they kept getting harassed and needed evidence to make it stop.  It had nothing to do with some vague assertion about possible warrants.  One cop's excuse was that the sound of his car backfiring could have been him firing guns for no reason, another was that his vape cloud could have been weed.  Another guy from out of state who drives exotic cars keeps getting ticketed or towed by cops who know him on false charges of requiring an in-state driving license to drive there (you don't).

As I said, if they want you to have a bad time, you're gonna have a bad time under the guise of qualified immunity.

You're talking about a few specific incidents without giving the specifics.  I'm talking in broad terms and I'm not about talking about a "vague assertion about possible warrants."  I'm talking about traffic stops where a police officer runs the license plate and the car is stolen, the registered owner of the vehicle has an outstanding warrant, etc.  It's all run through NCIC.  

3 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

Sometimes we all get tough luck, I got profiled and pulled over for being a young teen with young teen friends in the car, no other reason. I acted respectful, he kept us for awhile, made me late for work and I got reprimanded for it. Point is, act with civility and nothing will escalate in the overwhelming cases of being stopped by a cop.

Now imagine the same situation, but 5 police cars show up and they have you do a sobriety test. Because you stumbled a little the first officer says he thinks you might be on drugs, puts you in handcuffs, and takes you to jail for the night. The whole time you know you did nothing wrong. You say nothing will escalate if you act civil, but getting taken to jail for the night is an escalation. That's my point.

I can’t make an informed opinion and I’m certainly as heck not going to chalk this up to racism in the absence of all sides of the story.

I didn't bring up racism, you did. That being said I don't think it's a leap to assume that the situation would have gone differently it was a white woman. A large black man in that situation is going to be treated differently. Not saying the police officers were straight up racist but if it was me in that situation I don't think I would be accused of being on drugs.

But I do try to keep race out of these discussions because 4th amendment violations clearly happen to people of all races. Our society has gotten used to it.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Doc said:

The only reason I can think is that he didn't have a TUE for Adderall.  And if he didn't, shame on his agent.

That's not his agent's responsibility--it's on Oliver to secure an exemption from the league.  He knows the rules.  The league makes it incumbent on the players to get one.  

His agent gets him his money--he's not a nanny or a parent for grown man.

No this specific situation does not sit well with me, he handled it the way a person should handle it. What I’m not going to do is generalize this across all systems. Sometimes we all get tough luck, I got profiled and pulled over for being a young teen with young teen friends in the car, no other reason. I acted respectful, he kept us for awhile, made me late for work and I got reprimanded for it. Point is, act with civility and nothing will escalate in the overwhelming cases of being stopped by a cop. Those situations where it’s a fact that there was negligence or racist intention, throw the darn book at them, let them roast! It’s not systemic like they’d like you to believe. Most police got into the business because they believe in justice and act accordingly.

@HamSandwhich, my question to you is: how do you know how common it is to have "nothing escalate" when being stopped by a police officer? 

How do you tell whether it's systemic or not?

You believe it isn't.  Others believe it is, because their experience and that of their friends support that belief.

What actually happens to an officer when a complaint is made and found justified by an internal police review board (which is how citizen complaints are usually handled)?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I figured this was going to be way overblown, but he blows 0.0 and they still take him to jail? Now that he is handling this with class I'm an even bigger fan. I was a little concerned about his slow start last year, but he finished well enough. I'll be rooting for him to have a probowl year and I hope that if he's ever pulled over again that he'll be treated with the respect he deserves. Well played Ed.

3 hours ago, T master said:

Sounds like if Ed is straight up he's got a claim of false arrest ! Sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie ...

He was arrested on suspicion of being under the influence of other substances as well, so the 0.0 was immaterial at that point.  They wanted blood for a tox screen.

Im as pro-cop as can be, from a police family, but from the info publicly available this was a questionable stop followed by an unnecessary arrest.  Makes all cops look corrupt.  It seems to be endmic to the County.

Public perception will not change until we hold bad cops accountable.  The guy who killed Floyd had numerous complaints INCLUDING FROM OTHER OFFICERS but was allowed to continue unchecked.  The signs were there.  The law enforcement community has to be willing to confront this.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was arrested on suspicion of being under the influence of other substances as well, so the 0.0 was immaterial at that point.  They wanted blood for a tox screen.

I agree with what you're saying, but the should have been dropped when the blood test showed no evidence of intoxicating substances.  There should have been no need for a judge to rule that the charges were unfounded.  

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Now imagine the same situation, but 5 police cars show up and they have you do a sobriety test. Because you stumbled a little the first officer says he thinks you might be on drugs, puts you in handcuffs, and takes you to jail for the night. The whole time you know you did nothing wrong. You say nothing will escalate if you act civil, but getting taken to jail for the night is an escalation. That's my point.

I didn't bring up racism, you did. That being said I don't think it's a leap to assume that the situation would have gone differently it was a white woman. A large black man in that situation is going to be treated differently. Not saying the police officers were straight up racist but if it was me in that situation I don't think I would be accused of being on drugs.

But I do try to keep race out of these discussions because 4th amendment violations clearly happen to people of all races. Our society has gotten used to it.

That’s always the refrain and one of the biggest issues. Empathy is usually a good thing when it’s something that is based on reality. Not when it’s generalized in the way you had stated. It’s dangerous because it dehumanizes the police and makes people think they are racist anytime it’s a white cop stopping a minority. 

ive already addressed your earlier point in an earlier post. You’ve just rephrased what I had responded to already.

6 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

I agree with what you're saying, but the should have been dropped when the blood test showed no evidence of intoxicating substances.  There should have been no need for a judge to rule that the charges were unfounded.  

That is what happened. The charges were dropped.  A judge didn't rule on anything. 

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

That is what happened. The charges were dropped.  A judge didn't rule on anything. 

I stand corrected.  Thanks.  I will now return to the park and resume yelling at clouds.  ?

Edited by Forward Progress

7 minutes ago, Forward Progress said:

Cops don't drop charges, the DA does---and he did.  Not a judge.