Ed Oliver interview - NFL put him in the drug program?

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

He should stop drinking beer.  I know several people who have died to alcoholism.  He should really stop driving, I know several people who died in car accidents. 

I dipped for 20+ years.  Teeth, mouth, face and throat are in fine condition.  I’m sure he realizes that there are consequences to dipping.  It’s a chance people take

Sheesh, the guy was just expressing concern for him, no need to go on a sarcastic tirade. Be cool.

6 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Source?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wrongful_convictions_in_the_United_States

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Sheesh, the guy was just expressing concern for him, no need to go on a sarcastic tirade. Be cool.

I don’t really see it as a tirade.  Sorry you got offended. The dude dips.  Big deal.  

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The beer can was for his dip spit. Breathalyzer or no, a failed field sobriety test (the stumbling, etc.) is enough for probable cause. Obviously he was exonerated by the subsequent drug test. However, how else do you think drivers impaired by non-alcoholic substances are identified? 

Should've offered the cops a sip like the ol' piss bottle switcharoo:sick:

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

That sucks for Oliver but IF he was drifting between lanes like the citizen said he was, then what do you expect.  Didn't he have an open beer can between his legs when he was pulled over?  

Keep your hands on the wheel AND have your DL and registration in your hands.  That's what I do.  

I've seen videos of cops coming up to the car very aggressively with their gun already drawn because they saw the driver "reach for something and rustle around" when pulled over.  Of course the things they reached/rustled for was their documents because they were used to being targeted for stops for no good reason (they were on the cop radar for being publicly critical of the police) but the cop used the excuse of thinking they were reaching for a weapon or hiding drugs to call in backup and K9 and just escalating the whole deal.

Long story short if the police want you to have a bad time, there's nothing you can do about it.  Having your own dash mounted cameras can save you a lot of hassle not only with the police but in accident claims and whatnot.

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I just watched the video again, if he feels disrespected than that's a issue he needs to get over because the cops looked like they acted just fine. He even stumbled while walking and looked like he had poor balance in the video, for an elite athlete to stumble like that while trying to walk a straight line is kinds weird. I think there was even a open beer can in the front seat too, to me it feels like he was drinking but had some strings pulled. 

From what I have read in a number of places, someone had reported a vehicle driving erratically and at an unsafe speed in a construction zone.  I believe that this led to Ed being stopped.  I'm not sure that anyone actually was able to confirm whether it was Ed driving erratically or not.  Unfortunately, having an open can of beer between your legs during a traffic stop will lead to some unwanted attention.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Really? I found this for NY on the google, which is similar to Texas-

The drinking of alcoholic beverages, or the possession of an open container containing an alcoholic beverage, in a motor vehicle located upon the public highways or right-of-way public highway is prohibited. 

I guess all anyone would have to do is chug the beer before the cop gets to their window and they’re in the clear ?

NY VTL 1227(1) - Consumption of alcoholic beverages/possession of open container

Edited by Bangarang

TBH, while I wouldn't wish this on anyone much less a Buffalo Bill...Ed just seems more relaxed and at ease talking in this interview than I've seen him before.

I have the impression he's kind of a guy who keeps to himself a bit.  Maybe having a story to tell and being encouraged to tell it to his teammates this off season kind of helped him open up.  Would be nice if that's a "silver lining" to this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I guess all anyone would have to do is chug the beer before the cop gets to your window and you’re in the clear ?

NY VTL 1227(1) - Consumption of alcoholic beverages/possession of open container

@BringBackFergy care to weigh in as an attorney in NYS?

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I've seen videos of cops coming up to the car very aggressively with their gun already drawn because they saw the driver "reach for something and rustle around" when pulled over.  Of course the things they reached/rustled for was their documents because they were used to being targeted for stops for no good reason (they were on the cop radar for being publicly critical of the police) but the cop used the excuse of thinking they were reaching for a weapon or hiding drugs to call in backup and K9 and just escalating the whole deal.

Long story short if the police want you to have a bad time, there's nothing you can do about it.  Having your own dash mounted cameras can save you a lot of hassle not only with the police but in accident claims and whatnot.

Most cops are good cops.  There are some bad cops no doubt and others who could use better training.  

Some times cops pull over someone who has an outstanding arrest warrant hence guns are drawn on the vehicle approach.

Most videos don't tell the complete story.  They usually don't cover the entire incident and therefore can be absent of the complete set of circumstances.

• Like (+1) 1

He us innocent.  End of THAT story. That said, I have someone very close to me that was arrested for a very embarrassing situation that I am not going to get into. After his arrest his accused crime made the news via radio, newspaper, tv and internet. Took him 2.5 years and thousands of dollars to clear his name but will never clear his reputation. We in society too quickly rush to judgement rather then let the case shape out. Just as Ed said, guilty untill proved innocent.  

Ok, I definitely basically because a significant amt. of my family are in one version or another in law enforcement would definitely have my license, registration, and insurance cars in my hand on the wheel with both hands and yes, I’m white.  I can’t speak to the discrimination as I wasn’t there and I’m the least prejudiced person you may meet.  Having an open beer whether it was to spit for chew or any other reason makes absolutely no sense.  You can just as easily use an empty Pepsi can.  Poor decision.  Also, I’ve driven large vehicles (was a driver in college for the Buffalo News like those UPS trucks) and I don’t remember weaving a bunch.  

By weaving and an open container even of completely sober is enough to at least have him checked out.  I’m very happy for him all worked out and I don’t hold it against him in the slightest.  I’m sorry he had to go through it, and the NFL was very wrong for prejudging him As they should have taken time, and received all the facts.  That is the crime in my eyes.  Again, I’m white, but if I were weaving, and had an open beer even if empty, my butt would be in jail too until proven innocent,

4 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

If you treat a cop like your enemy, you will quickly become theirs.

Right, except every lawyer will tell you you should never talk to police. It's none of their business where you are going, where you are coming from, etc. The only thing that can happen is you give them evidence to charge you with something, either what they are directly investigating, or some other thing because you don't know the law and could accidently implicate yourself either now, or later.

The 4th and 5th amendments are there for a reason.  The police aren't your friends. I'm not saying to be a jerk, but you have every right to ask if you are being detained and if not ask to leave...if they say yes, then you have every right to ask what you are being detained on and ask for a lawyer without saying another word. You really think Ed Oliver would get the same treatment if he did that as say Josh Allen? Come on, it really all boils down to black people are required to show respect to authority, where white people are already on equal standing.

The idea avoiding the perception of disrespecting authority (oh the pearl clutching) at the expense of your constitutional rights...hilarious. 

And spare me the, "well don't call them if someone is robbing you if that is how you feel crap." That is their job, as is respecting and defending my constitutional rights, especially when it is inconvenient.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

@BringBackFergy care to weigh in as an attorney in NYS?

I dont do DUI law, but I would bet its one of those things that violates the letter of the law, but not the spirit of the law. In other words, having a bunch of empties in the car may technically be illegal, but no cop or prosecutor would pursue fines/charges because its clear the person did not have an open container for consumption. 

4 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Right, except every lawyer will tell you you should never talk to police. It's none of their business where you are going, where you are coming from, etc. The only thing that can happen is you give them evidence to charge you with something, either what they are directly investigating, or some other thing because you don't know the law and could accidently implicate yourself either now, or later.

The 4th and 5th amendments are there for a reason.  The police aren't your friends. I'm not saying to be a jerk, but you have every right to ask if you are being detained and if not ask to leave...if they say yes, then you have every right to ask what you are being detained on and ask for a lawyer without saying another word. You really think Ed Oliver would get the same treatment if he did that as say Josh Allen? Come on, it really all boils down to black people are required to show respect to authority, where white people are already on equal standing.

The idea avoiding the perception of disrespecting authority (oh the pearl clutching) at the expense of your constitutional rights...hilarious. 

And spare me the, "well don't call them if someone is robbing you if that is how you feel crap." That is their job, as is respecting and defending my constitutional rights, especially when it is inconvenient.

Im a lawyer, and I would never give someone this advice. At least not as a generic approach to police encounters. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Im a lawyer, and I would never give someone this advice. At least not as a generic approach to police encounters. 

My uncle is a police lieutenant, and I don’t even speak to him at Thanksgiving.

“Johnny will you pass the stuffing?”

“I don’t have to speak to you, Uncle Brian.”  “Am I being detained, or may I take my plate into the den and watch football?”

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1