Ed Oliver interview - NFL put him in the drug program?

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hate going here, but, why does it feel weird?  IF he didn’t comply in the manner that he did, he could’ve been killed. He blew a 0.0 and knew he didn’t have drugs in his system....and the cop said he didn’t believe him and took him downtown anyway.  At that point, I know I wouldn’t continue to comply as i originally did.  Considering the cop already said he didn’t believe him, saying something the cop didn’t like could have changed the events to come drastically and inevitably turned this into a Floyd situation. 

Yes. That is how police encounters work. Under any circumstance, you have to comply. If you do not, the police will use the appropriate amount of force to achieve compliance. Once force is introduced, the situation becomes unpredictable and you risk serious injury and/or death.  That is true regardless of race, and the suggestion that it is "odd" that failure to comply could result in serious injury is absurd. Does anyone really believe they can say "no" to the police? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I just watched the video again, if he feels disrespected than that's a issue he needs to get over because the cops looked like they acted just fine. He even stumbled while walking and looked like he had poor balance in the video, for an elite athlete to stumble like that while trying to walk a straight line is kinds weird. I think there was even a open beer can in the front seat too, to me it feels like he was drinking but had some strings pulled. 

An open beer can is cut and dry, charges aren’t dropped were that the case.

Do the breathalyzers work in your opinion? Then what evidence did this officer have for an arrest? His gut instinct? Or was he led by a confirmational bias, racially or otherwise? 

breathalyzer are known to blow false positives due to mouth wash, I’ve never heard of a false negative—which doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. 

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hate going here, but, why does it feel weird?  IF he didn’t comply in the manner that he did, he could’ve been killed. He blew a 0.0 and knew he didn’t have drugs in his system....and the cop said he didn’t believe him and took him downtown anyway.  At that point, I know I wouldn’t continue to comply as i originally did.  Considering the cop already said he didn’t believe him, saying something the cop didn’t like could have changed the events to come drastically and inevitably turned this into a Floyd situation. 

I am glad that Ed was more intelligent than you would of been. You always, always comply with police officers. You do whatever they say. Police aren’t the ones who send you to jail ultimately, lawyers and judges are. Complying with the police got Ed off and he gives him a platform to spread the word about his treatment. This case helps draw more light on how people can be treated by an officer. 
Good for Ed for keeping a calm head and knowing he would have his day. 

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Right over your head Ktulu, he blew a 0.0, and got arrested in spite of his obvious innocence, and taken to jail, for no reason/being black while driving, that you don’t see it is truly amazing...if Ed was white he is let go on the road where he was pulled over. 

Right over my head? Another person called the cops to say that a truck was speeding and driving erratic in a construction zone. The open beer between his legs along with the field sobriety test is what got him arrested. Just because you blow a 0.0 doesn't mean you can't be arrested for DUI. I have been involved with DUI's with 10 of my white friends who all got handcuffed and arrested, only one got off because he refused to blow and his dad was the mayor of west Chicago and by the way he was Mexican if that has anything to do with it. 

39 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

From what I recall, he told them that he takes it but it wasn’t in his system, correct? 

He told them, but whether they tested him for it is unknown.  You would think they would have.

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If the NFL put him in the program initially, they need to take him RIGHT BACK out of it.

0.0 Breathalyzer

Clean Drug panel.

If they didn't/don't take him out of it, again it makes me think he didn't have a TUE.

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is the kind of talk I like to see. Ed is going to have a monster year. Transitioning positions and from a second tier college competition level, I still like how Ed played last year. This year and next will show why Ed should of been picked top, glad he slid to us. 

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I just watched the video again, if he feels disrespected than that's a issue he needs to get over because the cops looked like they acted just fine. He even stumbled while walking and looked like he had poor balance in the video, for an elite athlete to stumble like that while trying to walk a straight line is kinds weird. I think there was even a open beer can in the front seat too, to me it feels like he was drinking but had some strings pulled. 

So there is an abundance of information to support why he shouldn’t have been arrested and taken into custody, and you speculate based on nothing that there probably was a reason he was arrested but it was covered up after the fact due to his celebrity status?  Uh huh.  Okay ? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Aaronthebaron said:

An open beer can is cut and dry, charges aren’t dropped were that the case.

Do the breathalyzers work in your opinion? Then what evidence did this officer have for an arrest? His gut instinct? Or was he led by a confirmational bias, racially or otherwise? 

breathalyzer are known to blow false positives due to mouth wash, I’ve never heard of a false negative—which doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. 

The beer can was for his dip spit. Breathalyzer or no, a failed field sobriety test (the stumbling, etc.) is enough for probable cause. Obviously he was exonerated by the subsequent drug test. However, how else do you think drivers impaired by non-alcoholic substances are identified? 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The beer can was for his dip spit. Breathalyzer or no, a failed field sobriety test (the stumbling, etc.) is enough for probable cause. Obviously he was exonerated by the subsequent drug test. However, how else do you think drivers impaired by non-alcoholic substances are identified? 

If he was cleared by the blood analysis, then this officers discernment of the field sobriety test was skewed. I won’t speculate on why and go down that road.

I have a friend who was arrested for sleeping in his car—he works graves, was tired and pulled into a parking lot—and was arrested on suspicion of opioid use because being overly tired was a system. He too was cleared by blood analysis and charges dropped. He’s also a black man. 

Some officers are great, some are led tenderly by the nose as asses are by their confirmational bias. 

15 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So there is an abundance of information to support why he shouldn’t have been arrested and taken into custody, and you speculate based on nothing that there probably was a reason he was arrested but it was covered up after the fact due to his celebrity status?  Uh huh.  Okay ? 

Another driver called in that he was driving erratically in a construction zone and he had a open beer between his legs and was stumbling during the field sobriety test. My best friends dad was the night watchman for the Bloomingdale police dept, his son got away with just about everything unlit his dad found out. Your telling me a well known Texas athlete might not get special treatment in Texas, Uh huh. Okay. And by the way that ok emote is racist. 

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

10 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I am glad that Ed was more intelligent than you would of been. You always, always comply with police officers. You do whatever they say. Police aren’t the ones who send you to jail ultimately, lawyers and judges are. Complying with the police got Ed off and he gives him a platform to spread the word about his treatment. This case helps draw more light on how people can be treated by an officer. 
Good for Ed for keeping a calm head and knowing he would have his day. 

For the record, when I say “I wouldn’t comply as I originally did”, I’d still comply, I just wouldn’t be so agreeable about the situation.  I’d let him know that he’s being an a$$.  

after listening to the interview, Ed said he was frustrated after the cop told him he doesn’t believe him. At that point, I’m sure he wasn’t as amicable as he was initially

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Aaronthebaron said:

If he was cleared by the blood analysis, then this officers discernment of the field sobriety test was skewed. I won’t speculate on why and go down that road.

I have a friend who was arrested for sleeping in his car—he works graves, was tired and pulled into a parking lot—and was arrested on suspicion of opioid use because being overly tired was a system. He too was cleared by blood analysis and charges dropped. He’s also a black man. 

Some officers are great, some are led tenderly by the nose as asses are by their confirmational bias. 

Yeah, but the blood analysis comes after the fact.  They don't do that at the scene.  Once they got the blood analysis, he was cleared. Whats the problem, here? 

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Another driver called in that he was driving erratically in a construction zone and he had a open beer between his legs and was stumbling during the field sobriety test. My best friends dad was the night watchman for the Bloomingdale police dept, his son got away with just about everything unlit his dad found out. Your telling me a well known Texas athlete might not get special treatment in Texas, Uh huh. Okay. And by the way that ok emote is racist. 

He blew a 0.0.  The cop said he didn’t believe him and arrested him.  Is that special treatment?  

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If you didn’t comply, you would also have been charged with resisting arrest and likely gotten roughed up.