Duke back. CB King released.

10 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I still don’t get what the big deal is about this dude. He doesn’t have a good story and he’s a fringe roster guy. 

He does have good story.

But like any of the WRs battling for 5 , 6 spot. There is no big deal about them. just good for discussion and what ifs  etc.

: )

33 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I honestly hope that the rookies pan out.  I like Duke, but need these guys to play well.  Most like practice squad.  I wonder if they will keep 5 or 6 WR this year 

I think they kept 6 last year and I can't imagine less at this point, like DB it's a fairly injury prone position   Brown, Beas, McKinsey, Roberts, Foster, and Williams.

I'm not sure if they had one or two guys on the practice squad as well?  Rayray McCloud was one, I think Easley spent a bunch of the season on the PS.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I will be fairly surprised--though not shocked because this offseason, familiarity will be a huge benefit as far as roster competition goes--if Duke makes the final roster of 53 men.

Would've been more shocking if he weren't part of the top 80, though.

I agree but he, to me, is not a clear piece of the puzzle so I wondered why he’s still there as he is so singular in ability (meaning can’t play teams). 

I have no doubt Beane and McD have a plan...just perplexes me. Again, don’t get me wrong, I’m rooting for him I just don’t see it. 

36 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

He does have good story.

But like any of the WRs battling for 5 , 6 spot. There is no big deal about them. just good for discussion and what ifs  etc.

: )

Meh, his story isn’t unique. I really only care about the top 3 guys. The rookies are intriguing though. The league has plenty of guys like Duke.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think they kept 6 last year and I can't imagine less at this point, like DB it's a fairly injury prone position   Brown, Beas, McKinsey, Roberts, Foster, and Williams.

I'm not sure if they had one or two guys on the practice squad as well?  Rayray McCloud was one, I think Easley spent a bunch of the season on the PS.

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Williams, Roberts, Mckittric, Foster, mix in the two rookies and Foster and Mckittric are less secure than Williams, just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Williams, Roberts, Mckittric, Foster, mix in the two rookies and Foster and Mckittric are less secure than Williams, just my opinion.

It partly depends on what shape and with what knowledge of the playbook they show up.  Williams said at locker cleanout that he was going to work out with John Brown in the off season, crisp up his route running, and trim down/improve his speed.  If he did, maybe?

The thing about McKensie is by the end of the season, the Bills were using him in more of a complete route tree vs. just for the gadget plays.  Unless he really ups his route running game and quickness, I don't think Williams has as complete of a game.  Just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It partly depends on what shape and with what knowledge of the playbook they show up.  Williams said at locker cleanout that he was going to work out with John Brown in the off season, crisp up his route running, and trim down/improve his speed.  If he did, maybe?

The thing about McKensie is by the end of the season, the Bills were using him in more of a complete route tree vs. just for the gadget plays.  Unless he really ups his route running game and quickness, I don't think Williams has as complete of a game.  Just my opinion.

It could go that way, the thing is Diggs does what Mckittric does only better, and they will likely be using Stephon a lot, that and of the four highlights of Mc he falls down on two of them after the catch without contact... It sticks in my mind for some reason...?  but again you could be right. 

Go Bills!!!

8 hours ago, SCBills said:

Tend to agree.  We gave him an audition against the Jets reg season finale, in which he played well enough anddddd then we made him the primary WR in a Playoff Game?? lol... of which he didn’t come through.   However, neither did John Brown.  

WR room is definitely crowded, but I’m not sure who I’d rather keep at WR 4/5 (Gabe Davis is likely getting one of those spots).  

Duke vs Foster vs Hodgins

Foster apparently continues to show a questionable attitude (immaturity?) so I’d consider him a likely cut candidate.

24 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It could go that way, the thing is Diggs does what Mckittric does only better, and they will likely be using Stephon a lot, that and of the four highlights of Mc he falls down on two of them after the catch without contact... It sticks in my mind for some reason...?  but again you could be right. 

Go Bills!!!

So part of my thinking is: if Diggs goes down, or Bease goes down, or Brown goes down...who could fill in for them?  Because this season, chances increase they're gonna need a fill-in.

All of them make their bread and butter with quickness and surgical route running.  Now McKensie, he's no Stefon Diggs, but he does have some quickness, he can run most of their routes. 

I don't think Duke can, at all.

Maybe I'm off base, that's just how I see it.

3 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Foster apparently continues to show a questionable attitude (immaturity?) so I’d consider him a likely cut candidate.

Can you say a bit more about this?  Sounds like you got some info

• Like (+1) 1

IMO Duke > McKenzie.

What do we even need McKenzie anymore for?  He's only a gadget player, and we have a number of people on this team who can handle those gadgety routes.  He's really small and never made any real impact other than a cool play 2 or 3 times a year.  I want to score points, and I would rather have a big target who can high point passes or be physical in the Redzone vs a small gadget guy that rarely touches the ball.  

I have nothing against McKenzie, but this is a rebuilt WR core and I just don't get the roster spot he would take up in those listing him as making the final roster.  I don't feel like he brings enough to the table to justify beating out some of the other guys that are in the locker room, including Duke.  

My way too early WR depth chart predictions:

Locked up:  Diggs, Brown, Cole.  Starting outside guys and slot are 100% locked barring injury.

Highly likely to make the cut:  Roberts (for his ST contributions), Gabriel Davis.

If we keep only 5, those above are certainly the most likely to be the 5.  

6th WR spot:  Duke, McKenzie, Hodgins, Easley.  For me, Duke has the edge here, and Hodgins is the most intriguing given he's a rookie.  I also would not count out Easley, they keep bringing him back, so they seem to like him.  And with the rest our WR group upgraded and bigger already, he could sneak in as a backup slot WR if he shows out in camp.  

NOTE:  Roberts will likely be 6th on the depth chart IMO, so technically who ever wins this "6th spot" will probably be ahead of Roberts either week 1 or sometime during the season IMO.  

My final prediction (we keep 6):  Diggs, Brown, Cole, Davis, Duke, Roberts.  Hodgins and Easley go to PS

I think less experienced players like rookies and Easley are going to be hurt by not having a preseason and as much prep time.  Duke has a year in our system and some reps with Josh.  The team seems to really love Duke in the locker room as well, so do the coaches.  He plays with an edge to him as well.  So, for me, do not underestimate the lack or prep time to players new to this team.  Its going to be MUCH harder to make the roster this year for later round rookies and UDFA rookies than its ever been due to the deep and talented roster coupled with the impact of COVID on reps and opportunities.  

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So part of my thinking is: if Diggs goes down, or Bease goes down, or Brown goes down...who could fill in for them?  Because this season, chances increase they're gonna need a fill-in.

All of them make their bread and butter with quickness and surgical route running.  Now McKensie, he's no Stefon Diggs, but he does have some quickness, he can run most of their routes. 

I think Foster had turf toe last year which is difficult to overcome while playing.  I never sensed an attitude problem.  If there is something to it, I'd wonder what it is.

Duke injured his right shoulder vs the Dolphins.  I suspect a sprained AC joint.  

We never know what these players are dealing with and how it affects what they can do.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nothing that wasn’t posted here.  After he was initially signed, he was cut and camp observers had made comments about a lazy attitude.  They brought him back, he got chances and played well.  Then the team added Brown & Beasley so Foster was demoted and camp observers said he had poor body language and he seemed to end up in McD’s dog house. He didn’t play much last season but they kept him on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

Big Duke fan.  He stepped up big time in the Houston game, minus the drop.  I'm not willing to dump him for that one.  If you are, then are you dumping SmokeY for stepping OB on the 4, or my guy McKittrick for his TD drop?  I'm not willing to dump the Duke for one bad play, when he shows so much potential as a big target.  No question though, the last three WR spots are up for grabs, so the Duke better bring his A-numbah-won game.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Big Duke fan.  He stepped up big time in the Houston game, minus the drop.  I'm not willing to dump him for that one.  If you are, then are you dumping SmokeY for stepping OB on the 4, or my guy McKittrick for his TD drop?  I'm not willing to dump the Duke for one bad play, when he shows so much potential as a big target.  No question though, the last three WR spots are up for grabs, so the Duke better bring his A-numbah-won game.

4 catches on 10 targets for 49 yards is stepping up big time?

McKenzie is exciting on the occasional end-around but I don’t ever want to see him out running routes for us again.  

If it’s him vs Duke, please keep Duke.

We have speed in Diggs and Brown and could use a big body WR. 

Gabe Davis could provide a big, physical WR as well, but as a rookie, I have no clue what to expect from him. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

McKenzie is exciting on the occasional end-around but I don’t ever want to see him out running routes for us again.  

If it’s him vs Duke, please keep Duke.

We have speed in Diggs and Brown and could use a big body WR. 

Gabe Davis could provide a big, physical WR as well, but as a rookie, I have no clue what to expect from him. 

Davis’s catch radius looks awesome. If it translates at the pro level, he’s  #4, Roberts being wr5.  

maybe one spot up for grabs at that point

Seeing everyone talking about who will make the most likely last spot for WR just makes me smile realizing we finally have a solid/strong core of starting WRs. Diggs, Brown and Beasley is such an amazing trio. Please stay healthy. Same with Allen and Singletary. 

• Like (+1) 1