Duke back. CB King released.

45 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Personally, I think it's unfair to judge him based on how he was inactive for 12 regular season games, then thrust into the offense in a playoff game and given 10 targets.

I still think he CAN be a good WR.  Hopefully we see better roster management in the next full season.

It’s that he WAS inactive for 12 games. This isn’t a newbie. He’s been in an nfl camp and blew it. He’s what, 27-28? He’s had his opportunity. Maybe the Rock’s new gig will give him an opportunity.

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@Chandler#81, can you say more about "Sean seeing serious liabilities in his route running"?

I think it's fair to say that if Beane still saw great potential for improvement still with Foster and with Williams, he probably wouldn't have used (effectively) 3 draft picks on WR.

Only to the many posts of locker room chatter. There was certainly ample opportunity for him to show what a great ‘find’ he was and be a player every game.. He simply didn’t measure up. 

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

While I recognize many (me among them) love the underdog story, I’m surprised he’s still on the team. Must be a DNA thing. 

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised, especially with how they used him in the playoff game at Houston. The coaches see something worthwhile.

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

It’s that he WAS inactive for 12 games. This isn’t a newbie. He’s been in an nfl camp and blew it. He’s what, 27-28? He’s had his opportunity. Maybe the Rock’s new gig will give him an opportunity.

Only to the many posts of locker room chatter. There was certainly ample opportunity for him to show what a great ‘find’ he was and be a player every game.. He simply didn’t measure up. 

He was supposed to be the WR on the roster that could make contested catches.  He missed some

huge opportunities in the playoff game versus Houston.  That’s why I think he’s on the outside looking in given who the WR room. 

I seriously doubt he makes more than the practice squad, but I would like him there.  Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis, Roberts, and I’m guessing McKenzie or Hodgins.  McKenzie because of the gimmick end around, and because he was a good emergency DB like the end of last year.  If they placed him on PS and Hodgins, we now have bigger WR’s, fast WR’s, and a sure fire OTM guy like aN Edelman type in Beasley.  With that said, I’d love to see D.Williams and McKenzie or the opposite on the PS, as it’s not as if we’re not going to see more COVID cases this year.

We have to have a back up K, P, LS, and 4th QB for COVID protection, and the other 12 should be spread out amongst the various position groups.  You might be able to just keep the active 4 TE’s and move D. Williams or Hodgins as a makeshift TE if necessary.  These PS guys are going to have a better shot at the squad who can play more than one position like the McKenzie example.

I think McKenzie's position is less stable than people think, and I would put him in with the competition for the same spot Duke is competing for. Certainly, they value McKenzie's athleticism, and versatility. But, all of those gadget plays that they used him for over the last couple years are all the sort of plays the Vikings used Diggs for, as well. And, frankly, Diggs is better at them. I would give McK a slight advantage over Duke, but I think his position is much more tenuous than it was this time last year.

• Like (+1) 1

They may decide Roberts can play the MacKenzie role. I think MacKenzie is a wee bit quicker and better on the jet sweeps but Roberts is still quite fast and shifty. Without the OTAs and preseason it will be harder for rookie WR to make impact so they may want to keep Duke or Foster. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's fair to say that if Beane still saw great potential for improvement still with Foster and with Williams, he probably wouldn't have used (effectively) 3 draft picks on WR.

This^^^^^

If it wasn't clear before, Draft Day 3 should've been an eye-opener to Duke and Foster. Step up your game, or "It's been real!"

Duke's status as a Bill's receiver is really puzzling.  He's getting a lot of negative criticism because of a couple contested receptions he didn't make against the Texans.  But isn't it weird that a guy that was not given playing time for about 90% of the regular season becomes the main go-to guy during the playoff game.  And then he is slammed for not catching everything that was thrown his way. IMO I am not sure how good he is, but I think he's shown enough that he can play.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m done with Duke, personally. I certainly bought in on the big WR who squandered early opportunities then led the CFL in catches & yards. Mostly, I suppose, because it was a glaring need. But Sean seeing serious liabilities in his route running, crippling drops at inopportune times and no noticeable improvement coupled with fantastic upgrades at the position, make him expendable. jmo.

Compared to all the other ill timed/crippling drops that happened all season long by those that saw more playing time... 

Duke may not in the end make the team, but your kinda over stating his drops, and his route running has not been a glaring issue. Being he only had one real bad drop and that was post season sadly.  The receivers for the last two seasons have had a lot of bad drops as a group. I do see that getting better starting this season. 

Go Bills!!!

6 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

Duke's status as a Bill's receiver is really puzzling.  He's getting a lot of negative criticism because of a couple contested receptions he didn't make against the Texans.  But isn't it weird that a guy that was not given playing time for about 90% of the regular season becomes the main go-to guy during the playoff game.  And then he is slammed for not catching everything that was thrown his way. IMO I am not sure how good he is, but I think he's shown enough that he can play.

The should-have-been TD pass wasn't contested (initially, since he muffed it which then allowed the CB to make a play on the ball to prevent Duke from having another chance to catch it).

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Big body and has some good hands. 

He's basically what we wanted Benjamin to be but cost a drop in the bucket. 

No reason not to be a depth wr when they need sure hands or a good block. 

I completely agree. There's no point releasing him. His value as an insurance big body wr is obvious. Above avg hands and I think Josh has a little bit of chemistry with him. He'll never be anywhere near the top 3 but if one of the 2 rookies struggle then he can step in and get a few targets. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

10 minutes ago, tomur67 said:

You can thank Daboll for that

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'll say this-- if Josh ever throws a Hail Mary into the end zone ftw, I want Duke in there.

Weird cause already dropped one at halftime that would probably have decided the game vs Houston

11 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

This^^^^^

If it wasn't clear before, Draft Day 3 should've been an eye-opener to Duke and Foster. Step up your game, or "It's been real!"

This may be overstated a bit. I suspect that day 3 was all about BPA. It's especially likely that Hodgins was BPA at that moment, as was Fromm two picks before. 

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Weird cause already dropped one at halftime that would probably have decided the game vs Houston

It's only weird if you judge his abilities based on one play.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That 70% number was based on 15 years of data, but do agree  this year could be different as likely lower chances of teams grabbing players cut by others unless it's someone that another team wanted to draft or sign.  If they feel they can slip Hodkins to the PS without getting grabbed then that may happen or as I said in another thread they are really hoping he gets a hang nail so they can move him to IR.

But even then, you still have Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Roberts, Davis, and likely McKenzie ahead of him.  Think he'll need to show a marked improvement in training camp from last season to stick over one of these other guys.

I don’t know McKenzie is a sure fire. Especially adding Diggs to the top 3. I think it devalues McKenzie. Also I don’t think McKenzie is there for the WR component as much as stretching the field sideways from a running component cause Singletary and Gore didn’t have the outside speed necessary. I’m curious to see how it plays out this year. Like if Wade somehow shows he can handle the offense better and we’re to get rostered I think that would spell the end for McKenzie. Or if Foster shows he can handle the end around a then that could be it for McKenzie. I do think McKenzie is a different style runner than Foster. Again I think this comes down to the WR coach and Daboll negotiating at cuts who they want more. 

I think the locks are:

Diggs

Brown

Beasley

Davis (not necessarily 4th WR but definitely not getting cut)

Most likely in:

Roberts

Completely up in the air and dependent on how other positions play out as well as in no particular order (keeping 1-2):

Duke

Hodgkins

McKenzie

Foster

What I take from this is out of the last 4 speed is not the necessary component of why players were hanging around last season. With Diggs and Davis now I think that pushes Foster and McKenzie further down as a need to hang around. Which opens up the possibility for Duke or Hodgkins to be number 6 or 7. 

Also if for some reason a young DB or RB shows they have return ability that could shift the priority of keeping Roberts too. I prefer they keep him. But that sort of thing opens up an opportunity for younger WR’s

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Likely if Williams is cut, agree he will be picked up by someone else as has shown enough.  I'd say Hopkins has more upside because he was drafted  where as Williams never was.  Her signed as an UDFA and got cut in September.  No teams were interested in him so for two seasons played in Canada.  Granted much was for off field issues, but still he wasn't signed.  As to teams cutting 6th rounders all the time, 70.2%  stick the 1st year, dropping to 57% the second year all the way down to 10% by year five.  However by year 5, only 18% of 3rd rounders are still on a roster too. 

I think Williams would need to show a significant improvement from last season to be kept over a draft pick.   As I said the best chance for Williams is Hodkins is put on IR, then that may open a spot and that's assuming they keep 6 WR

Actually I forgot completely about Roberts so that even further lessens Williams chances.

You conveniently forgot to mention that Duke lit up the CFL the year before signing with the us.Why does Roberts deserve the spot over Duke. He crapped the bed last year and is to expensive if he's not productive. I think given an even chance he stays, Robert's goes and Hodgins is a PS or IR casualty.

image.thumb.png.6480f71ad23be8d73457704dc6c4e8c9.png

Should've caught the TD against Houston. It would certainly be a feel good story if Duke got it all together and it clicked. I am absolutely cheering for him but I am left with one question.. How many looks does he get after Brown, Diggs, Beasley, Knox, Singletary, Rookie Zach Moss and Sweeny/additional TE?