The Original Buffalo Wing?

T&C

I had never heard of this place until today and I grew up in BLO, and what is funny to me is that I used to make them like this when I had kids in the house... they loved them like that. All I did was cut the tip off and fry them in peanut oil, then shake them in a sauce that was pretty damn good, I still use that sauce recipe. Not sure where to even find the flats and bats attached anymore.

https://www.newsbreak.com/new-york/buffalo/news/1613978764836/mumbo-wings-theyre-an-important-part-of-buffalos-chicken-wing-story

46 minutes ago, T&C said:

I had never heard of this place until today and I grew up in BLO, and what is funny to me is that I used to make them like this when I had kids in the house... they loved them like that. All I did was cut the tip off and fry them in peanut oil, then shake them in a sauce that was pretty damn good, I still use that sauce recipe. Not sure where to even find the flats and bats attached anymore.

https://www.newsbreak.com/new-york/buffalo/news/1613978764836/mumbo-wings-theyre-an-important-part-of-buffalos-chicken-wing-story

I can't read the story right now (pay wall), but if they are talking about a BBQ style wing that existed before Anchor Bar started serving wings, I am familiar with the/a story. (Though "mumbo" doesn't ring a bell, so maybe it's a different place.) But African Americans have been frying and saucing wings for a LONG time. The "Buffalo" wing is really just a  twist on that. May be why Theresa decided to put some hot sauce on that first batch of wings.

I have, when particularly lazy, just fried them whole. But there's a place down here that makes acceptable wings (for Florida) and they also serve them whole (with the tip cut off, if I remember correctly).  That I don't understand. I'm paying for these wings. Cut them in half for s#it's sake! They are so much harder to eat when not seperated, especially when served piping hot, as they should be.

56 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I can't read the story right now (pay wall), but if they are talking about a BBQ style wing that existed before Anchor Bar started serving wings, I am familiar with the/a story. (Though "mumbo" doesn't ring a bell, so maybe it's a different place.) But African Americans have been frying and saucing wings for a LONG time. The "Buffalo" wing is really just a  twist on that. May be why Theresa decided to put some hot sauce on that first batch of wings.

I have, when particularly lazy, just fried them whole. But there's a place down here that makes acceptable wings (for Florida) and they also serve them whole (with the tip cut off, if I remember correctly).  That I don't understand. I'm paying for these wings. Cut them in half for s#it's sake! They are so much harder to eat when not seperated, especially when served piping hot, as they should be.

Yeah, the paywall. Apparently news from Buffalo is made of gold. I'm in Florida too and only know of two good places for wings, not counting my house. Side note: the power just went on and off from late storms so my internet is off for a bit but I can still type.

I'm sure someone on here has been to or heard of that place. 

I never minded the whole wings... just a variation on a theme I suppose.

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

Yeah, the paywall. Apparently news from Buffalo is made of gold. I'm in Florida too and only know of two good places for wings, not counting my house. Side note: the power just went on and off from late storms so my internet is off for a bit but I can still type.

I'm sure someone on here has been to or heard of that place. 

I never minded the whole wings... just a variation on a theme I suppose.

Storm in Jacksonville? Right now, things are pretty good here in St Augustine. Better check the weather. Thanks.

32 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Storm in Jacksonville? Right now, things are pretty good here in St Augustine. Better check the weather. Thanks.

Tampa area... we got lit up pretty good.

5 hours ago, The Dean said:

I mean there's been Asians Africans Europeans, tons of people have been frying and preparing chicken for hundreds and hundreds of years if not a thousand

The name basically just took off in Buffalo. I don't think anybody believes it was actually invented here

Edited by Buffalo716

I always thought of mumbo sauce as a DC thing..like go-go music and half smokes...been eating it since I moved there in 87..good article here about mumbo sauce wings just published a few days ago.Wings in mumbo almost strictly a carry out thing, in neighborhoods nary a tourist has ever set foot...cant ever remember seeing it at a sit down place, but i am sure some have it.

Much like "buffalo" wing sauce, not all mumbo sauce is created equal..some really hot, some more acidic, and some more sweet. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/goingoutguide/restaurants/get-reacquainted-with-dc-through-its-famous-mumbo-sauce/2020/08/05/9b78dda4-d340-11ea-8d32-1ebf4e9d8e0d_story.html

The people who live in and around the District know the difference between Washington, the seat of the U.S. government, and Washington, a city of contradictions and bleak disparities that, despite it all, has more heart and soul than America will ever know.This is what weeks of self-isolation will do to you: It will make you nostalgic for a place that’s still your home. I think this explains my sudden, and unexpected, craving for wings and mumbo sauce. If you want to experience Washington — its highs, its low, its poverty, its gentrification, its beauty, its decay — all you need to do is visit the city’s many carryouts, so many of which trade in the classic combo.

Those who have stood in front of the bulletproof glass, reviewing the glowing menu overhead, know why the sauce flows so freely at Wings & More Wings. It doesn’t baby talk patrons with a fluorescent goop that goes down like cherry syrup. This mumbo sauce wants you to feel the heat. Zhang injects his condiment with Louisiana Brand Hot Sauce, for a mid-grade burn that’s buffered with not just sweetness but also with the acidity of vinegar and lemon juice.

The Yum’s II carryout near Logan Circle (1413 14th St. NW; 202-232-5608) has been part of the landscape since 1988, when the neighborhood was a destination for illicit sex, not a three-course meal with craft cocktails. Yum’s sells whole wings, these Z-shaped beauties with drumette, flat and tip all attached

Hong Kong Delite (3123 Martin Luther King Jr Ave. SE; 202-562-7047) occupies a small squat building in the Congress Heights neighborhood, sandwiched between a tax service and My 3 Sons Unisex barber shop. The mumbo sauce here is a shade of red not found in nature: It’s so electric it looks like it might be plugged into a socket somewhere. The color is telling. Hong Kong Delite’s mumbo sauce dispenses with niceties. It’s pure fire.

2 hours ago, Wacka said:

The man who had the "mumbo" sauce was John Young.

That's the name of the guy I was thinking of. I just didn't remember the "mumbo sauce" part. Thanks, that was really bugging me.

And plenz, that's was great. I'll have to check them out when/if things get to the point where we can go ahead and freely travel around the country.

3 hours ago, The Dean said:

That's the name of the guy I was thinking of. I just didn't remember the "mumbo sauce" part. Thanks, that was really bugging me.

And plenz, that's was great. I'll have to check them out when/if things get to the point where we can go ahead and freely travel around the country.

Did you want me to grab you a case of Molson Stock and ship it off to you?  It dawned on me you can't come get one.

Yeah, I remember him. My dad was friends with him and I remember going to pick up a bunch of his wings for some family gathering.  I just remember him standing in front of the fryer and telling my dad, "Your boys are going to like these".

On the way home, my dad said something like, "these are really the original Buffalo Chicken Wings".  They WERE good, just not the typical Franks and butter sauce. More of a sweet taste to them.

My dad mentioned something about Mr. Young trying to be known as the "original" Buffalo wings at one time. But then, I imagine its like what is better, "No. 1 dad" or "World's Greatest Dad."

• Like (+1) 1

It's not always the first with a product but often it has to do with access (in this case a heavily frequented bar in The Anchor) and timing.  Further, in this case animal breeding has an influence.  Pigs, chickens, cattle have bred for decades to improve on the meat and minimize the fat.  I remember chicken wings from the 1970's and there was little in the way of meat on the flat or drum so a "why bother" attitude surrounded the product.  Compare a turkey for Thanksgiving from the 1960's (if you were alive then) and today.  A lot more tender meat on the breast on average versus a couple generations ago.  Back to wings even during my college years during the 1980's I would not say that the wings were generous in terms of meat versus today.  One last thought.  Charles Duryea?  Who was he?  Tick tock tick tock.  Many credit him with being the first to invent the first practical automobile.  Why is his name such a mystery today?  He obviously was not on the track that Henry Ford was in terms of promotion and production.  Goes to show that father time does not always give proper credit  when it comes to commercial products.

Edited by RochesterRob

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Did you want me to grab you a case of Molson Stock and ship it off to you?  It dawned on me you can't come get one.

PLEASE!  I definately miss my yearly vacation. I ordered Coffee Crisp mini's from Amazon just to get me through. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

PLEASE!  I definately miss my yearly vacation. I ordered Coffee Crisp mini's from Amazon just to get me through. 

Coffee Crisp is the greatest candy bar the world has ever known... "just" out does the Skybar... but Skybar's are pretty damn good too.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Coffee Crisp is the greatest candy bar the world has ever known... "just" out does the Skybar... but Skybar's are pretty damn good too.

After I ordered the CC from Amazon (30 fun size bars at $1), I remembered Publix in town has the full sized bars ($1.75). They were out for a while but  they were back in stock today. Probably a good thing I got the minis. One (or two) fixes my craving.