If college football season is cancelled, NFL will likely play on Saturdays, per PFT

Logic

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This is insane

The almighty dollar and the egos of big time college football programs can't take the hit of a cancelled season.

I suspect this will be put to bed in a week or so when the NCAA does the job for the conferences and cancels all fall sports.

3 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

The almighty dollar and the egos of big time college football programs can't take the hit of a cancelled season.

I suspect this will be put to bed in a week or so when the NCAA does the job for the conferences and cancels all fall sports.

The ncaa doesn’t govern college football. It only governs all other college sports. CFB is governed by its conferences. Then the championship is run by the CFB playoff committee. In short, the ncaa can’t cancel SEC football. 

23 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think part of it might be that your average person can go to and be a part of the school for any given team where as only a small number of people will happen to work for NFL teams.

You know what’s wild is that it is sort of the last American sport left to the fans. If you want to go to a Super Bowl it’s easy. You just have to spend the money. At least half the stadium is filled with corporate sponsors and people like that. The same for a NBA All-Star Game. It’s not hard to get there either. It’s played in a major American city with a whole lot of ancillary activities and parties attached to it. 

College Football is different. I went to the Iron Bowl  in 2017. It was #1 vs. #6 with playoff implications on the line. It was the biggest game of the year. It was held in Auburn, Alabama. That’s just under 100 miles from the Atlanta Airport. It’s kind of in the middle of nowhere. There was no Jay-Z, Jack Nicholson, Kevin Hart, etc... It was a bunch of rich alumni and students from both schools that looked forward to this day for 364 days (including Charles Barkley). The entire town from the moment you arrived to the moment you left spoke of nothing but the game. They talked match-ups, implications, parties, etc... It was a portion of the city that cared. It was every, single, person!! It’s just different and always will be. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

The ncaa doesn’t govern college football. It only governs all other college sports. CFB is governed by its conferences. Then the championship is run by the CFB playoff committee. In short, the ncaa can’t cancel SEC football. 

Exactly

In some ways college football is like boxing. There are a series of governing bodies and then they try to come together on unification of championships.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That's crazy... but the NCAA does have some kind of authority over these programs, no?  They issue sanctions for rule violations for CFB programs, for instance.

Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy

· 5m

Old Dominion is canceling its fall football season & all fall sports because of player health and safety concerns regarding COVID, sources told @Stadium. ODU joins MAC schools & UConn as FBS programs that will not play football this fall

12 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

That's crazy... but the NCAA does have some kind of authority over these programs, no?  They issue sanctions for rule violations for CFB programs, for instance.

Some of the rules etc like recruiting violations and taking money ... but even the drug policies are separate per conference 

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Brett McMurphy

@Brett_McMurphy

· 5m

Old Dominion is canceling its fall football season & all fall sports because of player health and safety concerns regarding COVID, sources told @Stadium. ODU joins MAC schools & UConn as FBS programs that will not play football this fall

TIL Old Dominion has a football team 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Too bad it’s the worst thing for the actual players

I know as the Juniors are trying to get drafted.  They have a tough call to make whether to play or not.  I hope the NFL does the right thing and considers if this happens delaying the draft until the end of May or June.

2 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I know as the Juniors are trying to get drafted.  They have a tough call to make whether to play or not.  I hope the NFL does the right thing and considers if this happens delaying the draft until the end of May or June.

It’s not even that - the star players are guaranteed to not play in the spring. It’s all the other players who would then be playing 2 full seasons in like 9 months. Egregious to their health and safety. 

2 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I’ve heard from a pretty reliable source that the big 10 & pac 12 will be announcing cancellation as early as tomorrow. Take it fwiw

unfortunately, none of this shocks me.

9 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So now that the Big Ten voted to cancel, does this make NFL football on Saturdays inevitable?

giphy.gif

That’s hilarious.  The PAC 10 may also cancel tonight and the SEC may even be forced to delay.  I was listening to NFLR and I guess they are even considering if college ball really is delayed to air NFL games not only on Saturday, but even Friday night.  That might be even too much for me.  I can’t even fathom watching even some NFL Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Thursday.  Talk about going from nothing to overkill.

35 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

That’s hilarious.  The PAC 10 may also cancel tonight and the SEC may even be forced to delay.  I was listening to NFLR and I guess they are even considering if college ball really is delayed to air NFL games not only on Saturday, but even Friday night.  That might be even too much for me.  I can’t even fathom watching even some NFL Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Thursday.  Talk about going from nothing to overkill.

Not so fast my friend...

B1G just backed off the statement that they voted to cancel (everyone knows they did).   SEC & ACC seem pretty determined to play and AD's, Coaches and Politicians have weighed in like a tsunami supporting Trevor Lawrence's player led #WeWantToPlay movement.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s not even that - the star players are guaranteed to not play in the spring. It’s all the other players who would then be playing 2 full seasons in like 9 months. Egregious to their health and safety. 

And the risk of a torn ACL or some lengthy but not terribly serious injury blowing their rookie season, instead of just their combine

On 8/9/2020 at 9:04 AM, 1ManRaid said:

As long as the Bills don't get the Saturday 8pm games, that's D&D night.  At least my LARP has already been cancelled for the year...

Yeah yeah flame the nerd lol.

You would think with costumes you could come up with some ways to protect yourself and still do LARPs especially outside.

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

And the risk of a torn ACL or some lengthy but not terribly serious injury blowing their rookie season, instead of just their combine

Yep, imagine even an injury like Feliciano’s happening in May? In normal circumstances that guy would be back in 2 months. In this case they wouldn’t have medical clearance until after the draft. That guy could fall 2, 3, 4 rounds for something that won’t ever cause him to miss a game. Guys will be jumping ship left and right.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

But the great thing about it for the NFL is that it allows many more fans to watch their individual teams play.  The NFL does actually make money from TV viewers... obviously with advertisers in particular.

I won't watch every single game every single weekend, obviously.

However, a lot of these games the Bills are playing that aren't on national TV I wouldn't likely get in my local market with only the Sunday slate because there just aren't many Bills fans here.  If there are 3 games on Saturday and one game on Friday night, that makes me being able to see the Bills on TV that much more likely.

Plus it gives us access to games only Bills fans are likely interested in, like the Jets vs. Dolphins... although I can say that living in Hawai'i I guarantee most of the State will now become Dolphins fans because of Tua.

• Haha (+1) 1