Forget Diggs! These 4 Free Agents need to produce!

LB48

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

The advanced stats do show a drop off with Addison and the tape did too. The raw sack numbers were there... but he was winning his assignments considerably less often. I am not sure the sack numbers are sustainable with such a low rush win % but we will have to see. 

I say this as a guy who watched none of the Panthers last year but the advanced stats are notable for him since he was winning his assignment much less often. Now could that have been those around him? Of course but Addison is my biggest concern of the new guys by a good margin.

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I've said it since the Houston game. The defense collapsed. The OP is dead on.  This team needs a pass rush and these four need to replace some decent players that left.  

But let's get real.  This season is about one player. Josh Allen. He has to show he is a franchise QB.  

I don't know if the defense fell apart as much as Tre fell apart...

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I say this as a guy who watched none of the Panthers last year but the advanced stats are notable for him since he was winning his assignment much less often. Now could that have been those around him? Of course but Addison is my biggest concern of the new guys by a good margin.

I agree with you totally. But it was a fair counter point made that he was missing some of the talent around him. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I would say that we also need Daryl Williams, or Brian Winters (or both?) to produce on the O-line, as well.

Winters is average or maybe just a tick above, but he should be a measurable upgrade over Feliciano unless there is something wrong with him that we haven't heard yet. Williams came back from a serious knee injury and played LG last year. He played poorly. If I were him, I might consider opting out to focus on rehabbing that knee and hope for a big rebound in '21. T Murphy isn't as good as he was in Washington, but he did make it back to near his prior level. Williams was an all pro before and so was J Norman. Hopefully those 2 guys can get back to 95%.

• Like (+1) 1

Not that Diggs won’t be playing an important part, but the game is won or lost at the lines, these new linemen  need to perform at least as well as last seasons guys. That said, imo we got a bit better on the D & O sides. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree with your assessment of the team.  They have been built much like Belichik built the Patriots - a solid mix of veterans on defense with good middle of the road free agents that were scheme versatile.  The guys Beane signed can play anywhere on the line and their corners can hold up in man coverage enough that they don;t have to exclusively play zone.   

All that said though, the trophy usually goes to the team that has one of the best QBs.  There are exceptions like Seattle and Denver recently.  They had truly elite defenses.  Without an improved pass rush, I don't think this defense can win a championship if Allen doesn't get significantly better.  They gave up 19 points in 24 minutes and blew a 16 point lead.  

2020 is all on Allen

Maybe, but the OC play calling was poor during most games.  How many times did you watch third down knowing it was Frank Gore up the gut for no gain?  A bunch of drives ended on plays where we were all wondering about the third down play call. The team was also very vulnerable to the blitz because the offense very seldom had a hot receiver, either because the receivers didn't make the blitz read or the play didn't provide that assignment.  Either way the OC didn't recognize this as an issue and never corrected it.  It was a problem from opening day until the playoff loss.  If Daboll doesn't up his game, the results for the season will continue to be mediocre.

I'm less worried about any of these defensive free agents or the defense in general than I am with the offense.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Winters is average or maybe just a tick above, but he should be a measurable upgrade over Feliciano unless there is something wrong with him that we haven't heard yet. Williams came back from a serious knee injury and played LG last year. He played poorly. If I were him, I might consider opting out to focus on rehabbing that knee and hope for a big rebound in '21. T Murphy isn't as good as he was in Washington, but he did make it back to near his prior level. Williams was an all pro before and so was J Norman. Hopefully those 2 guys can get back to 95%.

Unfortunately it's too late to opt out.

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Winters is average or maybe just a tick above, but he should be a measurable upgrade over Feliciano unless there is something wrong with him that we haven't heard yet. 

Winters has had trouble staying healthy and availability especially for OL is very important attribute.

If he was a flex OT who was only playing to substitute it would be different.

Aug 6, 2020: Buffalo Bills signed G Brian Winters to a one-year, $3 million contract.

Aug 3, 2020: New York Jets cut G Brian Winters.

Nov 12, 2019: New York Jets placed G Brian Winters on IR.

Dec 27, 2017: New York Jets placed G Brian Winters on IR.

Jan 16, 2017: New York Jets re-signed G Brian Winters to a four-year contract extension.

Very strange - 4 year contract extension after being put on IR 3 weeks earlier

Dec 21, 2016: New York Jets placed G Brian Winters on IR.

Oct 13, 2014: New York Jets placed G Brian Winters on IR.

May 9, 2013: New York Jets agreed to terms with OL Brian Winters on a four-year contract.

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I said as much back in March and got flamed... he fell off last season. 

You do appear to prefer extra crispy.

19 hours ago, LB48 said:

Diggs is a given!  No doubt he'll help the team.

These 4 new Free Agents  all fall within the top 12 of the Bills 2020 salary cap.  They total $30 mil for the season.

1. Mario Addison, DE, $10 mil

2. Vernon Butler, DT, $7 mil

3. Quinton Jefferson, DT, $7 mil

4. A.J. Klein, OLB, $6mil

Can they help push this team to a deep run in the play-offs???   Comments?

Up to this point I think Beane has done a very good job with free agents, so I'm going to trust him.

Edited by first_and_ten
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I've said it since the Houston game. The defense collapsed. The OP is dead on.  This team needs a pass rush and these four need to replace some decent players that left.  

But let's get real.  This season is about one player. Josh Allen. He has to show he is a franchise QB.  

I thought the defense wasn't as good as advertised.  We've lost Shaq, Phillips and now Star from last season.  We'll see is they will be missed - or - were they part the reason we  couldn't stop teams consistently.

20 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The best player among those 4 is the one who didn't play for Carolina. 

I just got this feeling about Mario Addison.....I think he is gonna be a good player for us

27 minutes ago, LB48 said:

I thought the defense wasn't as good as advertised.  We've lost Shaq, Phillips and now Star from last season.  We'll see is they will be missed - or - were they part the reason we  couldn't stop teams consistently.

What we need is balance.....we need to score more points and run the ball consistantly to help our defense (which was very good)