Another Bills reporter trying to make himself the story

Are a reporters tweet's the same thing as their reporting? In other words, does MLJ have to publish this on ESPN for it to be poor journalism (and let's say it is for arguments sake) or is it OK so long as it's just a tweet where presumably he can express whatever opinion he likes?

Just wondering what people think.   I view the two as separate, but I don't use Twitter so may be in the minority on feeling that way. 

Just now, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Are a reporters tweet's the same thing as their reporting? In other words, does MLJ have to publish this on ESPN for it to be poor journalism (and let's say it is for arguments sake) or is it OK so long as it's just a tweet where presumably he can express whatever opinion he likes?

Just wondering what people think.   I view the two as separate, but I don't use Twitter so may be in the minority on feeling that way. 

It’s a good question but a lot of their reporting is on twitter and usually they report quotes from the interview on twitter and then if there is a decent storyline, they put it all in an article 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s a good question but a lot of their reporting is on twitter and usually they report quotes from the interview on twitter and then if there is a decent storyline, they put it all in an article 

So it's a blurred line. Or perhaps depends on the reporter's tendencies and use of Twitter?

Edited by Bob Chandler's Hands

8 minutes ago, eball said:

Eh, I think Fromm’s response was questionable also. Why not just say we need to love all people equally? He makes it sound as though the only people capable of this have to be Jesus freaks first. 

There’s a lot of things going on and the last thing I want to do is get political in any sort of way, but I think the world would be a better place if we can love God first and then love people.

I don’t agree with your interpretation at all. We are talking about a persons faith. His answer was based on his faith and points directly towards loving people. Where we get into the weeds is where people say “he makes it sound”.  There’s a literal indication he says “We should love people “.  In no way does he stipulate that they have to be of his faith. It wasn’t said or indicated and shouldn’t be interpreted that way. Just my opinion and no disrespect to you whatsoever.

Edited by DFT
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I think the issue is that the conversation was one that happened exclusively because of his status as a reporter. So everything gained in the conversation (specifically what’s he commenting on) exists because he was being a reporter and Fromm was being and interviewee. 

So I don’t see the distinction in that regard. When reporters retweet or tweet or like stuff that I disagree with I don’t care that much because it’s impossible to separate “Reporter Marcel” from “person Marcel” I’m social media. But when he uses his official platform to talk trash about a player simply cause he disagrees, I find it distasteful. 

My $.02

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If anyone here lives in the NYC/Tri-State area, you’re probably familiar with Jets reporter Manish Mehta.  

This is a straight up Manish Mehta move.  

Yep. But hopefully Marcel isn’t headed there- Manish is one of the biggest pieces of crap in sports media. 

That being said, I do love watching him murder the jets on the regular. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

He’s giving his perspective from his worldview, that’s how that works. If people do as he says, they will end with loving people (note he didn’t classify any specific people group who will or won’t be loved)

Marcel is saying his answer is unacceptable because he doesn’t agree with his worldview, which is fine, but goes to the OP’s point that instead of being objective and reporting on the athletes worldview, he’s editorializing and saying it’s an unacceptable view based on his disagreement with it. - thus making his opinion the story.

This could not possibly be deduced from the actual text. Where does he disagree with Fromm's worldview?  

Marcel doesn't like Fromm's answer because Fromm dodged the question entirely.  Marcel believes its "unacceptable" but I don't think Fromm owes him or anyone else a better response.  He could certainly help himself by giving a real answer, however.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DFT said:

“Love God first and love people...”

”That’s not an acceptable response!”

When a quote from Jesus isn’t an acceptable response to you, you may have a problem that extends beyond the person that’s quoting him.

what if you don't believe in Jesus?

• Like (+1) 2

This thread is way too objective and conversational.  

Can someone check if the polarization-“ists” lost their internet service? 

Also my take is Fromm is probably scared of saying anything, especially if he smelled an agenda in the line of questioning, which let’s be honest, is nirvana in the media world.  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, eball said:

Eh, I think Fromm’s response was questionable also. Why not just say we need to love all people equally? He makes it sound as though the only people capable of this have to be Jesus freaks first. 

Respectfully @eball, I have to point you to this--to love God first, also means that, "The second [greatest commdment] is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:31 (NIV). You can't observe the 1st without the 2nd, which is I believe what Fromm was driving at (imperfectly as Fromm may have practiced this before). How this would not be "acceptable" strikes me as intellectually missing the boat, imho. 

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just felt like he judged Fromm’s response personally, and attached it to his reporting of the quote. It struck me as unprofessional.

I mean I can kind of get him being disappointed that Fromm going through what he has didn't give a more nuanced/detailed response, what he said was pretty generic, but I mean if he didn't like the response you'd kind of think it's on Marcel to not let him off the hook and keep going with a follow up to get better context to what Jake is saying.

• Like (+1) 1

all this response from MLJ says to me is he isn't a Christian. If he were he would realize that as has been mentioned what Fromm stated was scriptural.

quoted from the NIV .

“Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:37-40).

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

2 things...

1.  Freedom of religion.  Your choice.

2.  Respect the choice.  Like when someone quotes it instead of getting political.

my opinion...  This reporter is not respecting his answer.  But his answer is based on his faith.   Therefore it would seem that the reporter is not respecting his faith.  Again, my opinion, but if you’re going to demean a person because you feel they’re not respectful of something, You shouldn’t do it by showing disrespect towards them.

Edited by DFT
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

Then it would have gone over that persons head like it did MLJ. Doesn't make it unacceptable simply because he doesn't trust in the Bible. Unacceptable to HIM clearly yes but not to many many others.

13 minutes ago, nucci said:

That's anyone's prerogative of course! But if you do, and truly follow His teachings, then the loving people part is indivisible from that. I don't mean that it's not possible to love other people if you don't believe in Jesus--but if you do, then the 2nd part should always be there too, is all. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, DFT said:

2 things...

1.  Freedom of religion.  Your choice.

2.  Respect the choice.  Like when someone quotes it instead of getting political.

my opinion...  This reporter is not respecting his answer.  But his answer is based on his faith.   Therefore it would seem that the reporter is not respecting his faith.  Again, my opinion, but if you’re going to demean a person because you feel they’re not respectful of you, You shouldn’t do it by showing disrespect towards them.You shouldn’t do it by showing disrespect towards them.

I wasn't taking the reporters side in this

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I mean I can kind of get him being disappointed that Fromm going through what he has didn't give a more nuanced/detailed response, what he said was pretty generic, but I mean if he didn't like the response you'd kind of think it's on Marcel to not let him off the hook and keep going with a follow up to get better context to what Jake is saying.

Agreed ?.  MLJ is the reporter, he can surely ask follow ups.  If he wasn’t happy with the answer, reframe it and push back a bit.. but to make his personal opinion part of the story is everything wrong with journalism these days.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, nucci said:

I wasn't taking the reporters side in this

Please don’t take my comments out of context, I didn’t think you were. I just wanted to make sure my response was well worded since text can be misinterpreted. By no means did I mean that derogatory towards you.  It’s a good conversation.  ?

• Like (+1) 3