Another Bills reporter trying to make himself the story

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he does. 

And there is the key to this entire topic. We are all going to see/feel/believe (or not) differently. The most important thing is to respect the views of others, even when they differ from ours. Obviously keep it peaceful, and nobody wants the views of another shoved upon them. 

Too often people will try to use “religion” as a tool to try to gain an advantage in something that has nothing to do with religion. That’s BS. Most people were “born into” a religion. I went thru that whole thing growing up and  over time I’ve come to think I’m much more spiritual than religious. Religions are too often divisive, and that’s not a good thing. I doubt a single person here sees these things exactly the way I do. I won’t shove my beliefs on you, you do the same and we’re all good.  

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I have always said there is ONLY 1 RACE

THE HUMAN RACE

Well, in that race I’m guessing Lieutenant Dan comes in last! 

:)

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Augie said:

And there is the key to this entire topic. We are all going to see/feel/believe (or not) differently. The most important thing is to respect the views of others, even when they differ from ours. Obviously keep it peaceful, and nobody wants the views of another shoved upon them. 

Too often people will try to use “religion” as a tool to try to gain an advantage in something that has nothing to do with religion. That’s BS. Most people were “born into” a religion. I went thru that whole thing growing up and with over time I’ve come to think I’m more spiritual than religious. Religions are too often divisive, and that’s not a good thing. I doubt a single person here sees these things exactly the way I do. I won’t shove my beliefs on you, you do the same and we’re all good.  

Exactly Augie. 

39 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I am getting concerned that those who DO share Fromm's worldview (or what they think his worldview is based on his brief comments) cannot admit he copped out and even after he said he wasn't going to answer the question.  They have equated any questioning of his response to an attack on his religion.  If you say anything that can be construed as scripture I guess we all lose our right to criticize lest commit heresy. 

I am a Christian who has debated in this thread. I haven't read anyone say this answer should be construed as completely inclusive of all Fromms thoughts. If you are Christian you would read his reply and immediately relate it to scripture and nod in recognition. The fact it was deemed unacceptable is the rub. Why is that response deemed unacceptable simply because you dont happen to trust scripture or believe Jesus is Lord and Savior and the Bible the word of God? It wasn't a treatise FCOL it was a one line comment. The attacks aren't based on his religion, but rather attack on his personal belief in scripture and what believers trust and believe itself as not being acceptable. If anything it reads as an attack on scripture itself. Just my humble opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

Too often people will try to use “religion” as a tool to try to gain an advantage in something that has nothing to do with religion. That’s BS. Most people were “born into” a religion. I went thru that whole thing growing up and  over time I’ve come to think I’m much more spiritual than religious. Religions are too often divisive, and that’s not a good thing. I doubt a single person here sees these things exactly the way I do. I won’t shove my beliefs on you, you do the same and we’re all good.  

Well, in that race I’m guessing Lieutenant Dan comes in last! 

:)

From didn't shove anything on anyone.  The reporter became judge jury and executioner for Fromm's beliefs.

43 minutes ago, MJS said:

If I was in the public spotlight I would certainly deflect any question that has anything to do with race, religion, politics, etc. And I'm sure I would be attacked for that, but oh well. It's not the world's business what my personal opinions are on those things.

So would I.  And people may criticize.  I probably wouldn't make awkward segue into what the flag means to me in the process, however.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Fine. But then don't expect everyone else to just accept that is the answer. In this context it is a cop out. 

Just as I would tell you not to expect everyone else to see it as a cop out.

People see what they want to see. The kid made a joke that got away from him. It's not a reason to cut him, and it's CERTAINLY not a reason for a dime-a-dozen sports reporter to stand in judgement of him for all his readers.

2 minutes ago, Muppy said:

I am a Christian who has debated in this thread. I haven't read anyone say this answer should be construed as completely inclusive of all Fromms thoughts. If you are Christian you would read his reply and immediately relate it to scripture and nod in recognition. The fact it was deemed unacceptable is the rub. Why is that response deemed unacceptable simply because you dont happen to trust scripture or believe Jesus is Lord and Savior and the Bible the word of God? It wasn't a treatise FCOL it was a one line comment. The attacks aren't based on his religion, but rather attack on his personal belief in scripture and what believers trust and believe itself as not being acceptable. If anything it reads as an attack on scripture itself. Just my humble opinion. 

The unacceptable part has already been addressed many times by participants in this thread and the Marcel himself.  The bolded has nothing to do with it.  That's the conclusion you and others jumped to on page 1.

I am not countering this strawman again.

45 minutes ago, Buftex said:

No...I would have figured Hitler out for myself.  I never would have seen the tweet of this "NFL Reporter" if you hadn't posted it...I suspect others wouldn't have either.  No big deal, and sorry, i wasn't trying to criticize you...just in this day and age, it is the re-tweets and shares that cause silly things like this to blow up. It's a lesson I have to remind myself of sometimes too.  

He is the ESPN NFL reporter. He is the new Rodak.

He's not Adam Schefter but he has a following.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

It’s a shame that BLM, the organization, used that phrase because I believe that we truly need to say “Black Lives Matter”.   The movement is justified.  

However, BLM, the organization is a political movement, not a social one - they provide cover to those who want to push back on a lot of what has, justifiably, been brought to light in terms of racial injustice.  

It’s a conflation between a movement and a political organization, and it’s unfortunate. 

They basically stole a sentence and redefined it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure. And I respect and defend his right to have one too. But when he uses it to answer a question like this then he has to acknowledge that people who don't share his world view are going to perceive that as a cop out. 

But it’s good we can engage on this and hear each other out. I hope that in some measure it helps to dig deeper and see where each of us is coming from as a means to create bridges, and not burn them. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

So would I.  And people may criticize.  I probably wouldn't make awkward segue into what the flag means to me in the process, however.

I think if Fromm didn't want to get into politics he should have left it at that. No need to follow up with his remark about God because that is not consistent with his first remark.

However, Brees didn't really do that. He just gave his frank opinion about kneeling and what the flag meant to him. But it was an opinion others did not want to hear.

59 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Fromm's answer was a political litmus test. The usual suspects all see it as one way or another.

The major problem is MLJ injecting his own opinion in his report.  If Tim Graham pulled this crap, everyone would lose it on him.

yea but I don’t think it’s the litmus test that you think it is. Because it shouldn’t be a terribly controversial take across any political spectrum. Really the only split I see on it is within the conservative circles that believe in freedom of press, freedom of speech and actual meaningful discussion about morality vs the branch that’s a charming mix of scared of and mad at liberals. 

the amusing part is I’d probably land more squarely in a true conservative philosophy than most of the people defending Fromm but have been largely abandoned there by nimrods that get worked up about things like this  ?

oh, and Timmy went above and beyond earning his reputation here. I don’t really know this reporter but have seen plenty of criticism in this thread and little to no defense of him. 

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

From didn't shove anything on anyone.  The reporter became judge jury and executioner for Fromm's beliefs.

I didn’t say he did, I was just responding to @GunnerBill. I don’t know what’s truly in Fromm’s heart, and I wasn’t speaking to that. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don't really think the reporter took issue with his statement about God, just that he wanted him to talk about how his views and perceptions have changed and Fromm didn't want to do that, instead saying that he didn't want to get into anything political.

• Like (+1) 1