Another Bills reporter trying to make himself the story

33 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

To be fair, he was first put on the spot by a reporter. And you could arguably say the same thing about any athlete who voices any thoughts/opinions as to issues outside of their professions--and I'm not saying that's a bad thing mind you, just that when he prefaced what he said with, "I think..." it immediately becomes clear that's an opinion coming. In his case yes, faith-based according to what he said. A free society must be able to engage itself with opinions of all kinds. I respect your right to have one, as much as I know that you do for anyone else posting here.        

Sure. And I respect and defend his right to have one too. But when he uses it to answer a question like this then he has to acknowledge that people who don't share his world view are going to perceive that as a cop out. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s a shame that BLM, the organization, used that phrase because I believe that we truly need to say “Black Lives Matter”.   The movement is justified.  

However, BLM, the organization is a political movement, not a social one - they provide cover to those who want to push back on a lot of what has, justifiably, been brought to light in terms of racial injustice.  

It’s a conflation between a movement and a political organization, and it’s unfortunate. 

33 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Actually people are, but by a very small amount, not the wide margin you imagine.  A big part of your relationship with God is how you express it through your love of people.

He's also mentioned he's started to see things in a new light with all the conversations he's had and perhaps he'd like to do more listening and gathering of information instead of  opinionating.  What's wrong with that? 

I don't have a relationship with God. And it isn't my job to understand the basis for Jake's. 

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Quit putting all "people of color" in a box.  Not every African American believes in these ideas.  Not even close.

Would you like to know what the black cop at my church thinks of BLM?  My last response was pretty tame considered to what he would say.

I don't need any news station to tell me what BLM believes.  It's on their website.  

https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

This was exactly my original point, and why civil discourse has literally become impossible.

If you believe taking the police out of minority communities is going to save black lives, I think your absolutely and positively nuts.  It goes against common sense, and every imaginable crime statistic the FBI can assemble. 

I have no idea what you are talking about.  It’s like you are purposely missing the point.  I have never gone to a website to get my information about BLM.  Most people I know are just about raising awareness to issues that are affecting people of color.  The far majority of people think it is idiotic to defund the police but rather reform and train better and hold bad cops accountable . 

why is racial equality a thing some people try so hard to fight? 

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

*****! We need Football way more than I thought we did!

I don't. None of it. That insane crap is the true root of ALL evil. The most sublime part being one doesn’t even have to believe. Just say you do and half the people forgive anything you say or do. Ridiculous. Sky fairies... ?‍♂️ YEEEESH!

When does the season start?

Can you see why it might be insensitive and bigoted to say that? You are saying that people's religion is "insane" and the "root of all evil". I think that's wildly inappropriate and intolerant.

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

This is the new normal.  If I am in a crowded room I just mention the G-word and voila.... lots of personal space.

I'd have no problem with the G word. My best friend is a devout as they come. It is when people immediately reach for it when faced with serious questions about how society operates. When that happens I reserve the right to question motives.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Can you see why it might be insensitive and bigoted to say that? You are saying that people's religion is "insane" and the "root of all evil". I think that's wildly inappropriate and intolerant.

I mean a lot of people have killed people because of religion.  There are a lot of fake religious people.  Why are guys like Osmond becoming rich off God?

and I love God but for some people, it absolutely makes them crazy.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't have a relationship with God. And it isn't my job to understand the basis for Jake's. 

Sure.  You are making a big deal about 1. God ------------------->  2. People and I am just trying to help you understand that's really not how it works for most of us who are religious, I feel it is a misconception on your part.   You generally seem open minded and have been respectful and that is always worth a shot to increase understanding.

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

The most sublime part being one doesn’t even have to believe. Just say you do and half the people forgive anything you say or do. Ridiculous. Sky fairies... ?‍♂️ YEEEESH!

We'll probably get this thread moved, but what you wrote is mostly untrue. You DO need to believe, with all your heart and all your soul. Romans 10:9 says "if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

A true Christian knows that lying to people and saying you believe in order to receive their forgiveness doesn't escape what God knows to truly be in your heart.

Anyway...Go Bills. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I am entitled to my view on someone's religion. But they are also entitled to their belief. However, when it gets thrust into a debate such as this by that individual then questions will be asked about how appropriate that is. 

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean a lot of people have killed people because of religion.  There are a lot of fake religious people.  Why are guys like Osmond becoming rich off God?

and I love God but for some people, it absolutely makes them crazy.  

People kill people for lots of reasons, including religion. But 99% of people aren't crazy zealots. We don't need to throw everyone into the same bucket and make blanketed, bigoted remarks about huge groups of people.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd have no problem with the G word. My best friend is a devout as they come. It is when people immediately reach for it when faced with serious questions about how society operates. When that happens I reserve the right to question motives.

Your best friend will no doubt tell you that all true believers are to immediately turn to God first for everything...good and bad, wins and losses, joys and sufferings. 

2 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Sure.  You are making a big deal about 1. God ------------------->  2. People and I am just trying to help you understand that's really not how it works for most of us who are religious, I feel it is a misconception on your part.   You generally seem open minded and have been respectful and that is always worth a shot to increase understanding.

I get it. I do, and I appreciate your explanation. But it isn't my job to interpret his religion when he thrusts it into the public discourse. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I am entitled to my view on someone's religion. But they are also entitled to their belief. However, when it gets thrust into a debate such as this by that individual then questions will be asked about how appropriate that is. 

People having differing views are great. But saying someone's belief system is "insane" and the "root of all evil" crosses a line. That is as bigoted as bigotry gets.

Just now, IDBillzFan said:

Your best friend will no doubt tell you that all true believers are to immediately turn to God first for everything...good and bad, wins and losses, joys and sufferings. 

Fine. But then don't expect everyone else to just accept that is the answer. In this context it is a cop out. 

1 minute ago, MJS said:

People having differing views are great. But saying someone's belief system is "insane" and the "root of all evil" crosses a line. That is as bigoted as bigotry gets.

I think "root of all evil" is unfair. But it was Jake Fromm who put God in this conversation. Not Chandler..

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think "root of all evil" is unfair. But it was Jake Fromm who put God in this conversation. Not Chandler..

Ok, so if someone mentions anything that gives us the right to say whatever we want about it? If someone brings up BLM that means people are allowed to make racist, bigoted, and insensitive remarks about black people and they are justified?

Just now, MJS said:

Ok, so if someone mentions anything that gives us the right to say whatever we want about it? If someone brings up BLM that means people are allowed to make racist, bigoted, and insensitive remarks about black people and they are justified?

No I didn't say that. Indeed, I said the opposite. "Root of all evil" is in my view an inappropriate thing to say.