Another Bills reporter trying to make himself the story

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Does seem like his issue was that he wanted more of an answer about Fromm's whole situation."

That's basically my understanding too.  I think L-J wanted an answer like Josh Allen's "Wow, I didn't realize that my teammates have the experience of being afraid for their life when they're pulled over by police, I think that's awful.  There's no place for racism!" or even "When I sent those texts, I wasn't aware that gun taxes had been used in Georgia to keep black men from owning guns.  I believe the Second Amendment applies to everyone regardless of race.  There's no place for racism." 

It would show something about learning a different perspective or learning some history about how making things expensive was used to disarm people according to race.

Now I do understand the viewpoint that Fromm has no obligation to provide that to Marcel.    On the other hand, if he wants to persuade people of personal growth or change, he needs to help a reporter help him do so.

To sum this up, imo:  MLJ shouldn’t have used the term “not acceptable”.  He was hoping for more from Jake.  He said it would’ve been nice to hear more.  “Would’ve been nice” and “not acceptable” or not the same.  He should own “not acceptable” and admit that it was a poor choice of words.  

Not much else to say imo.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DFT said:

Some of the open dialogue in this thread and the civility within the conversations is among the best I’ve seen from most public forums.  Kudos to all on that.  To quote White Goodman...  “There’s a good energy in the Gym!”

I haven't seen outright personal attacks yet in 10 pages, which speaks to the mutual respect most of us carry for each other built over months/years on this site opining on whatever the topic du jour happens to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If politics break up your family, it wasn’t a strong family to begin with.  It’s ok not to blindly thing that same.

personally, I think a two party system is an absolute joke.  Both parties are idiotic yet morons cling to them like they are in a gang.    If one of the first things you tell me about yourself is your political Party, You probably aren’t that cool of a guy (the general you, not personally). 

your second paragraph is ? 

i don’t care what your party is.  Look at Trump or Biden and convince me either one represents the best this country has to offer... 

And now fringe football players are obligated to provide ongoing social justice commentary, because a reporter says so.  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No, I think he just doesn't want to get involved in the debate so he gave a generic answer. Which he has the right to do. MLJ asked him about how he feels in general about "what the country has faced." He isn't required to state his opinion on that.

Agree. He isn't. Playing the religion card however is a cop out. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Glad I never started. And I avoid PPP here like a covid positive public restroom. :w00t:

Very smart move.  

so far, I’ve very impressive at how respectful everyone in this thread is in discussing this issue.  This gives me hope haha!

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

To sum this up, imo:  MLJ shouldn’t have used the term “not acceptable”.  He was hoping for more from Jake.  He said it would’ve been nice to hear more.  “Would’ve been nice” and “not acceptable” or not the same.  He should own “not acceptable” and admit that it was a poor choice of words.  

Not much else to say imo.

That’s pretty fair.  But it would be have been nice for Fromm to say something he learned from this whole situation.  I am critical of Allen as a passer but look at how he handled these questions.  
https://13wham.com/buffalo-plus/bills-latest-news/josh-allen-i-support-the-black-community

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Once again, that is your unsupportable interpretation of the words.  The only interpretation based on the quoted words is that Marcel is not a christian or doesn't believe the Bible is valid?  If Marcel was a Christian he wouldn't view Fromm's admission that he wasn't going to get political as a dodge?

Father forgive whatdrought for he know not what he done.

Lol. Way to miss the point..

If Marcel believed that what Fromm was saying was acceptable, he wouldn't have said it wasn't. Why else would he take issue with his comments? 

His entire response is that he's learned from his lesson and he plans to use his faith as the guide to act more appropriately in the future - Marcel is saying that's an unacceptable thing- why? Why else unless he's saying he doesn't agree with the idea of Fromms conviction. 

Father forgive Jauronimo for being obtuse and not understanding virtue signaling at it's finest. He knows what he does, but that's just his schtick. 

• Like (+1) 1

First of all, MLJ is a wimp for not saying this to Fromm's face.

Secondly, I agree with MLJ. The only people who would say they "don't want to get political" when asked about social inequality are those who have a problem with the movement. Period. If they thought social injustice was a problem that needed addressing, they would not lead with not wanting to get political, because it shouldn't be a political issue. I have no doubt what side Fromm is on.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Very smart move.  

so far, I’ve very impressive at how respectful everyone in this thread is in discussing this issue.  This gives me hope haha!

That’s pretty fair.  But it would be have been nice for Fromm to say something he learned from this whole situation.  I am critical of Allen as a passer but look at how he handled these questions.  
https://13wham.com/buffalo-plus/bills-latest-news/josh-allen-i-support-the-black-community

Yes.....it “would be nice”.  I agree.  “Not acceptable” is going waaaaay overboard imo.

edit:  hard to put myself into my 22 year old brain.  Everything he says now is going to be put under a microscope.  I can’t blame any 22 year old that isn’t wise beyond his years for handling that question the way he did.  It’s not Fromms last interview.  There will be more opportunities to show what he’s learned.  Just because MLJ decided that NOW was that time, doesn’t mean that has to be the case.  Not bad reporting by MLJ, poor choice of words regarding his opinion of the matter

Edited by NewEra

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

your second paragraph is ? 

i don’t care what your party is.  Look at Trump or Biden and convince me either one represents the best this country has to offer... 

It blows my mind how much time is wasted; how grown adults act like babies who can’t get along with others; all because of two choices that are both very flawed.  

america, the “greatest “ country in the world, has 2 guys in their 70s who are losing their minds competing to be our leader.  Good job America!!!

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregthekeg said:

I wonder if Fromm would have said anything about "Elite Whites" to his brothers in the locker room

I don't doubt that he regrets sending the texts, and hopefully he has learned from them.  He could have easily answered that he understands how his statement was ignorant and in speaking with his team he understand that they have a negative connotation and do not reflect how he feels about minorities in the country.  Again I can't imagine the Buffalo Bills PR team didn't prepare him for that.

I enjoy MJL's work, and I believe he is much better than other writers Buffalo has had in the past who try to kick up dirt for news. (Looking at Vic C) Vic even had a dumb question on Stefon Digg's intro call that you could tell Digg's didn't appreciate.  Even the way he asked it was just to be confrontational and do gotcha journalism, and Diggs threw it right back at him asking what he publicly said.  

Good post!  I’ll raise my hand to this as a former coach.  I had to quell many an inappropriate conversation in our locker room because as players, you’re brothers to the core.  As such, your tolerance for what comes out of your brother’s mouth may be more lenient than it should be at times.  Even in jest, some of what I’ve overheard in my time coaching as “accepted viewpoints” makes me cringe even to this day.   From high school to the collegiate level, you’ll find no greater a place for unchecked freedom of speech than a winning team’s locker room - save for maybe a long-standing community barber shop.  It’s at the NFL level that this changes instantly (and for good reason).  Unfortunately there are a lot of great coaches in the world, but few that seize the teaching moment when these conversations occur (myself included).  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Lol. Way to miss the point..

If Marcel believed that what Fromm was saying was acceptable, he wouldn't have said it wasn't. Why else would he take issue with his comments? 

His entire response is that he's learned from his lesson and he plans to use his faith as the guide to act more appropriately in the future - Marcel is saying that's an unacceptable thing- why? Why else unless he's saying he doesn't agree with the idea of Fromms conviction. 

Father forgive Jauronimo for being obtuse and not understanding virtue signaling at it's finest. He knows what he does, but that's just his schtick. 

If you're generally curious, you can actually read Marcel's own explanation of his use of the term "unacceptable" instead of furthering your baseless he's anti-Christian and doesn't respect the Bible or Fromm's faith hypothesis.  That might help, as inconvenient as you may find it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Your kid gets in a fight at school. 

you have a big talk about conflict resolution etc...

ask your kid about a situation you witness and your kid says “love god and each other” and doesn’t talk continue on to the deescalation techniques you discussed or strategies for better outcomes... does questioning whether he got the point mean you have disregarded his faith? 

marcel doesn’t say his faith is wrong but without tying your faith to knowledge and action it’s just faith, not an example of growth and new maturity that he was looking for. It’s fair to question whether he actually understands how to better live his faith than he did prior. Fromm didn’t offer that info. Which is his right to sidestep but it’ll irk some people.

He wasn't asking him about his tweets, he was baiting him into a conversation about a separate issue that he knows from is going to disagree with. 

Fromm says "I don't plan on answering about that specific situation, but my plan is to live my life by this certain ethos." 

Marcel says this is an unacceptable response... If he was happy with the ethos that Fromm plans on living with, he wouldn't find his answer unacceptable because it would conform with what Marcel believes Fromm owes society. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s like a pitcher for the Giants who said he couldn’t support BLM because of his religion.  Such BS. 

Yep. Utter nonsense and should be called out on it. 

Fromm not wanting to get into politics - fine. But then playing the religion card? Well yea.... that brings its own connotations with it too.

I won't tell Jake Fromm how to practice his religion, but when he uses it as a defense mechanism I reserve the right to call cop out.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

It's not the same reporters and journalists are held to a higher standard than random people on the internet. I mean if they're not they sure as hell should be.

That’s BS imo, individual people are just as responsible for what they say as any reporter, we are held to a high level as well, or we sure as hell should be. 

Go Bills!!!

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

It blows my mind how much time is wasted; how grown adults act like babies who can’t get along with others; all because of two choices that are both very flawed.  

america, the “greatest “ country in the world, has 2 guys in their 70s who are losing their minds competing to be our leader.  Good job America!!!

The satire the upcoming debates will produce are going to be incredible.

Im pretty sure after they air, China and Russia will scrap all their invasion plans as “no longer necessary, we’ve already won!”

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If I was an American citizen I would spoil my ballot if presented with that choice. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Also, if you read Marcel’s twitter feed, he is nothing but cordial and respectful in responding to people who question him.  I think he is a great reporter and such an upgrade of what we have had.

He’s a great person as well and I think that needs to be echoed in this thread.  Incredibly respectful and is extremely well-versed and knowledgeable.  Agree with that sentiment 100% even if I don’t agree with the context of the Fromm questioning.  

• Thank you (+1) 1