Matt Milano: “I’m not focused on a contract. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else”

His agent coached him well. He is the exact opposite of AB. 

love the player but unless he settles for a hometown discount out of love being in Buffalo, I won’t be surprised if he is on another team in a few years.

11 minutes ago, BringBackFlutie said:

There are a lot of Milano haters in here.

...people wanting to resign him.  Others want to resign him AND take his money!

Can we do that? I’m intrigued 

• Haha (+1) 1

Love Matt Milano would be great if he'd be able to stay a Bill. This team keeps getting better and starts getting results though and we're going to have lose guys we really like. Not saying that should be Milano just an inevitable part of being a top dog is people will pay your players a ***** load of money that you have to spread around more.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Really like Matt Milano. I have since his rookie year. Hope we can keep him in the fold.

That’s why, and I don’t want to because he’s a playmaker, I might let him walk.  I think he is going to struggle to stay healthy.  Then he will become a lot more expensive and OLB is one of the easier positions to fill.

34 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Milano's "bottom line asking price" does not need to be reasonable. What he and his agent ultimately ask needs to fit within the salary structure that the Bills perceive for both the position and the team. Milano will get paid handsomely, if he stays healthy, and the Spain situation is not a good comp. Spain is a borderline starter/backup while Milano is a key cog in Frazier and McDermott's defense as well as a team leader. Don't expect a 'hometown discount'. The Bills will pay him what he's worth or another team will, plain and simple.

Your 2nd sentence is exactly what I meant by reasonable. As in: reasonable in the eyes of Brandon Beane.

And Spain is an older player, but I've heard ZERO speculation about who should start at LG this year. Giving up zero sacks last year means the job is his to lose.

39 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Maybe lots of 1 year deals.

That or deals where the money is 2021 is low and pushed forward, or made to be able to move around in order to give clubs some flexibility over the entire deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, H2o said:

We'll see how Covid impacts the salary cap, but I am positive that Beane is going to try as hard as he can to keep both Milano and Dawkins. More than likely one will be re-signed and the use of the Franchise Tag on the other. 

You may well be correct.  People also should not lose sight of the older veterans that may not be kept or resigned next season.  Shedding them will free up some decent cap space.  There is a reason that Beane signed those veterans to contracts that don't create onerous dead cap money.  If nothing else, Beane has taught us that he knows how to build a roster and manage the cap.  I don't expect that to change.  I also expect Beane to sign the guys that are key contributors, like Dawkins, Milano, and White.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I think that people would like to have him remain with the Bills, it's just that they don't think he's worth top 5 money at his position.

Beat me to it. Love Milano because he's a great zone/coverage LB. He's just not a Top 5 LB deserving of such a contract. He does deserve to be retained though. If he was more of a "thumper" and better tackler he'd get a lot more.

Dawkins will command a nice contract because of position though he isn't a Top 5 LT. If Buffalo doesn't pay him some other team will. Very good LTs are obviously highly coveted.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm with you.  Serious case of Milano love.  Man of few words, few posessions, and strong deeds

Loved him right from the start and really couldn’t understand all the hate and grief he got here following his rookie season. Most have shut their damn mouth since. Is there another player on the team more Process than Milano? 

I hope retires as a Bill.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

Do you think he is looking for top 5 money?  I’m think 10-15 money 

Agreed.  But I think they are still in good shape and he’d be a priority to me over some of the higher dollar depth players. 

Dawkins, Allen, Edmunds, and White are no brainers to me.  You figure everyone else out. 

I don't believe Milano is looking for top 5 money. I just think that the fans believe that he deserves a contract that is not too big.

10 hours ago, H2o said:

We'll see how Covid impacts the salary cap, but I am positive that Beane is going to try as hard as he can to keep both Milano and Dawkins. More than likely one will be re-signed and the use of the Franchise Tag on the other. 

It is hard to get a LT - so you sign one when you grow one

It is hard to replace an all-pro cornerback - you have to sign White 

Milano's contract may be tied with how Tremaine Edmunds and  Josh Allen perform this year.   If both have great season, then Milano is going to be the odd man out. Or the Bills would have to cut people like Star and Hughes to make room which then puts big holes on the DL.   

The moment a Josh Allen contract kicks in,  we would need to have been in a super bowl. 

The window of opportunity for the Bills is really 2020 and may be 2021 with this core group of players.   That is why they made the Diggs trade.