Matt Milano: “I’m not focused on a contract. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else”

15 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I think that people would like to have him remain with the Bills, it's just that they don't think he's worth top 5 money at his position.

Do you think he is looking for top 5 money?  I’m think 10-15 money 

33 minutes ago, nucci said:

could be difficult depending on next years cap number

Agreed.  But I think they are still in good shape and he’d be a priority to me over some of the higher dollar depth players. 

Dawkins, Allen, Edmunds, and White are no brainers to me.  You figure everyone else out. 

• Like (+1) 1

Of all the guys due for an extension in the next couple of years Milano sits atop the list for me.

At this point in his career I think Milano is a much better LB than Edmunds.  I think hes a huge link to our defense and the fact you can probably get him locked up for $11-$12M per makes it a win win for both sides.  I hesitate when defensive players start coming in close to that $20M per # because I just don't believe philosophically that defensive players should make that much.....

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Agreed.  But I think they are still in good shape and he’d be a priority to me over some of the higher dollar depth players. 

Dawkins, Allen, Edmunds, and White are no brainers to me.  You figure everyone else out. 

He will want $10m/year, but he is not worth $10m/year.  You have to make sacrifices somewhere: I would rather it be at OLB than CB, LT, Etc. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He will want $10m/year, but he is not worth $10m/year.  You have to make sacrifices somewhere: I would rather it be at OLB than CB, LT, Etc. 

10 mil a year isn’t much any more.  Especially for an every down player. 

That would make him 18th highest paid for OLB’s.  I’d sign that check right now 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

10 mil a year isn’t much any more.  Especially for an every down player. 

That would make him 18th highest paid for OLB’s.  I’d sign that check right now 

I looked at that list. Problem is it includes a bunch of pass rushers, which Milano is not.  For non-pass rushing OLBs, $10m is like top 5. 

Actually, it might be top 3...

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 1

The Bills will do everything in their power to keep Milano, IMO. McDermott's D in Carolina was predicated on having two constants at LB which is why they made sure to hang on to Kuechly and Davis. Milano and Edmunds are those pillars for the Buffalo D. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

could be difficult depending on next years cap number

this is the issue.  No one thinks he is not a good player, the issue is cap number, esp next year with all pro Tre and Edmunds, and Ja eventually coming up.  

• Like (+1) 1

Well, let’s just say we have to extend one and tag the other, left tackles are a much higher Tagle so would expect we extend Dawkins, Milano plays out of his mind which I expect, we tag, and then deal with it the next year.  I’d rather knock both out, but then again I’d love to be 29, tall, dark and handsome (just kidding).  White is a must, and Allen and Edmunds are musts thereafter.  That is why the let’s get this guy, that guy stuff is unrealistic.  We need to keep the band together and the message to the team is this place is a destination, not a tryout for you’re next team.

10 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

The Bills will do everything in their power to keep Milano, IMO. McDermott's D in Carolina was predicated on having two constants at LB which is why they made sure to hang on to Kuechly and Davis. Milano and Edmunds are those pillars for the Buffalo D. 

Joe Marino on the Locked on bills podcast said the same, though they weren’t in charge there, they paid both keuchly and Davis and proritized the pairing.

plus depending on who they can replace him with, the defense is not the same when he’s not out there. Alarmingly so. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I concur

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Some around here don't think he's worth resigning, correct?

I'd love to keep him.

Worth is the operative word. I’m sure few people would say, don’t bother trying to resign him.

but the right answer is, there are higher priorities, but hopefully they work out something. He is a unique rangy LB that impresses in converage with who he can run with, can get overpowered at point of attack and I love his disruptive brand of play, but I feel he’s already overachieving for his body frame.   Might be considered a potential spot to get a little bigger stronger... 

TreD and Tremaine have monster deals coming soon, Micah is coming due and defensive End is aging. 

Best hope is he is such a scheme specific LB he’s not considered by all teams as a big free agent prize and they can resign for a reasonable value... I mean pay the guy, but not CJ Moseley money. 

• Like (+1) 2

We have some big contracts coming off the books in the next few years, I think we’re set up pretty well to extend Allen, White, Dawkins, Diggs and Edmunds and still work out a deal for Milano.   

We will have to build our DL from the draft most likely with Star, Hughes and Addison only here for this year and next, but that’s some serious $$$ being freed up exactly when we’ll need it. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, SCBills said:

We have some big contracts coming off the books in the next few years, I think we’re set up pretty well to extend Allen, White, Dawkins, Diggs and Edmunds and still work out a deal for Milano.   

We will have to build our DL from the draft most likely with Star, Hughes and Addison likely only here for this year and next, but that’s some serious $$$ being freed up exactly when we’ll need it. 

Yep, in 2 years the defense will look very different

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I will be absolutely pissed if we don’t resign him. He’s probably my favorite defensive player 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He doesn’t need a lot of money! ;) He sleeps on a mattress on the floor and wears the same shirt and jeans everywhere (apparently he’s a minimalist) 

You called @YoloinOhio ?!?! Oh hey there Milano... I'll be his Snuggie blanket:wub:

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

Some around here don't think he's worth resigning, correct?

I'd love to keep him.

He's absolutely a keeper. But only if his bottom line asking price is reasonable, when the time comes.

Spain took a discount when he re-signed, presumably to stay on an up and coming team with a great environment. I'm not suggesting that all players should do that. I wish all our guys could get what the market dictates. But that's just not possible for a talent-laden team like ours.

Milano is absolutely the kind of player you want to keep for as long as you can, and he is wired differently with respect to material things.  I think he's a minimalist.  Probably has saved most of his NFL income so far.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I would think most rookies would want to stay with the team.  Bills are on the way up and SB is not out of reach.  Great culture and management.  The bottom line will always be dollars but that is not the only consideration.  And its not like Beane wont pay players what they are reasonably worth.

Just goes to show that players are more focused on these things than "nothing to do here" or the vast majority of them at least...

25 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

He's absolutely a keeper. But only if his bottom line asking price is reasonable, when the time comes.

Spain took a discount when he re-signed, presumably to stay on an up and coming team with a great environment. I'm not suggesting that all players should do that. I wish all our guys could get what the market dictates. But that's just not possible for a talent-laden team like ours.

Milano's "bottom line asking price" does not need to be reasonable. What he and his agent ultimately ask needs to fit within the salary structure that the Bills perceive for both the position and the team. Milano will get paid handsomely, if he stays healthy, and the Spain situation is not a good comp. Spain is a borderline starter/backup while Milano is a key cog in Frazier and McDermott's defense as well as a team leader. Don't expect a 'hometown discount'. The Bills will pay him what he's worth or another team will, plain and simple.