Bills official cap space post opt out: BUF: $24,288,558

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Role the space over.  

What does this mean in reality? Let's say next year's cap is 175M, and we don't use 20M from  this year's cap. Does it mean our cap next year is in fact 195M? Or are there limitations to this tolling the cap space over thing?

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

What does this mean in reality? Let's say next year's cap is 175M, and we don't use 20M from  this year's cap. Does it mean our cap next year is in fact 195M? Or are there limitations to this tolling the cap space over thing?

Yep that is what it means. 

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I believe teams have to use a certain percentage of their cap within a 5 year timeframe, but they can roll over unused cap from year to year.

3 minutes ago, foreboding said:

Given the fact this season is no guarantee, I think bringing in any high-priced starts would be foolish and I am 99% sure we wont do that unless a ridiculous bargain presents itself.

foreboding, exactly.  Clowney should have signed with someone earlier, even on a one year special.  I doubt this season that people are going to pony up a 20- 25 million dollar 1 year deal for him when there is a chance we may not even see the end of it, and next year's cap at issue.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Bills should be trying to roll as much of this as possible to next year. Stars original cap hit this year will post next year and we have some re-signing to do and cap is likely going down

Not so sure. If this was 2018 or 2019, I'd agree. We are contenders and have a narrow window to load up when we have a franchise QB on a rookie deal. If there are difference makers out there who can put us over the top, I'd say go for it - like say KC getting Watkins and Frank Clark. They overpaid for Sammy - but he did help them to a championships. Of course they have to be the right difference makers - but that is why Beane makes the big bucks.

25 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Yes if the Cap is 175M, we will over 20, we have 195M in space next year. 

so in 2011 we only spend 175M of that 195M we get to roll 20M again

2012 say becomes 200M cap we now have 220M in space.

You can roll over any amount of cap space all the time to the following year

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I believe teams have to use a certain percentage of their cap within a 5 year timeframe, but they can roll over unused cap from year to year.

you nailed it MJS.  88% but over a rolling 5 years if I’ve researched correctly over the years.  We have more than enough room to roll over and if we don’t go by the $10 mil. Avg. gain, then at a minimum a $25-30 mil. Loss.  If we can roll over $20-25 mil.understanding we still have to roll Star’s cap even if we cut him the dead cap, a loss, but better than most.  Think of how much the Pats will have to absorb when these guys come back, again even if they only retain dead cap and cut all 8 which won’t happen.

In this rare circumstance Cleveland is actually in the best spot at +$38 mil. for now.  It’s like the Austin Powers sequel where he states, well if past Austin, meets future Austin, and past Dr. Evil meets future Dr. Evil, and so on, “oh my god my eyes have crossed”.  You get the point as almost impossible to figure other than SAVE $.

52 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I wouldn't even pick up negotiates again until next year. 

Also, just because I want to throw in my hot take, I don't think Tre will have a top-5 CB type year, and I think his value will take a hit...

As long as we keep him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I wouldn't even pick up negotiates again until next year. 

Also, just because I want to throw in my hot take, I don't think Tre will have a top-5 CB type year, and I think his value will take a hit...

I heard the PFF guys make a similar point about how White wasn’t as good as people think last year.   I have no idea if there’s any accuracy to that given no other analysts seem to agree.   

That said.. I think our secondary may look even better given a DL that, on paper, should be pretty strong at rushing the passer.  

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I heard the PFF guys make a similar point about how White wasn’t as good as people think last year.   I have no idea if there’s any accuracy to that given no other analysts seem to agree.   

That said.. I think our secondary may look even better given a DL that, on paper, should be pretty strong at rushing the passer.  

I'm mostly basing it on the talent he faced last year. There were some marquis draws, for sure, but he faced very few elite QBs, a few more elite WRs, but never both at the same time. When he did against Houston, he got ripped up.  This year, he will draw tougher assignments. He may rise to the occasion, but I'm nervous we will see more of what we saw against Houston. 

Do they need to buy another space eater for star this season or can Harry do it? 

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

foreboding, exactly.  Clowney should have signed with someone earlier, even on a one year special.  I doubt this season that people are going to pony up a 20- 25 million dollar 1 year deal for him when there is a chance we may not even see the end of it, and next year's cap at issue.

I dunno D2D no matter what may happen I think you gotta roster up for a full season. Even a covid asterisk championship will still just be a championship in the books. 

• Like (+1) 1