Simms and Florio drafted the top 6 safety pairings .. Bills fans reacted

https://twitter.com/CSimmsQB/status/1287862979673952257/photo/1

Reading the comments 90% people shocked by the lack of Poyer / Hyde or as someone in the comments called them Dr. Poyer and Mr. Hyde. Some great comments if bored.

Jordan linked to it on his Twitter and tagged Micah .. may not appreciate their lack of placement.

• Like (+1) 1

So I take it we don’t like CS presently... 

It is odd to say the least that the safety duo on arguably a top two or top three defense are not being considered. Fuel for the fire wouldn’t ya think.

Go Bills!!!

This is one of those "if these players played for any other team in the league, they'd be universally acknowledged as elite, but because they play in Buffalo, no one knows who they are" situations.

Compare their collective stats (and their team's pass defense rankings) over the past three seasons against ANY of the duos they listed and see what you get.

• Like (+1) 2

Saw this a while ago. The Bills lack true star power outside of Tre on defense. The national media will make a mention of Edmunds sometimes, but everyone else goes relatively unnoticed. It's cool though, I'd put Hyde and Poyer against any tandem in the league. 

• Like (+1) 5

Didnt they rank Dr. & Mr. as top 5 on the show?  I think people are just reacting to the jpeg showing the top 3, of course with the intent of creating a reaction.

I agree they don't get the recognition they deserve but top 5 isn't bad.

I mean no one with any football intellect of any kind would leave off a safety duo that has combined for 600 tackles and 19 INT's the last 3 years.  Thats not even being a homer, that is just an egregious and shocking snub.

Not only are they one of the best duos in the league on one of the best defenses in the league, but they legit have a case for anywhere in the top 3 and without question are in the top 5.

• Like (+1) 5

Smith and Harris in Minnesota are the #1. That is pretty clear. McCourty and Chung are hard to argue with because they have the hardware to back it up but Hyde and Poyer are right there with them at #s 2 and 3. I get where they are going with Adams and Diggs in terms of "on paper" but hard for me to pick a pair that has never taken the field. Honey Badger and Thornhill are good and I actually think Clark and Thomas in Baltimore should be top 6 too. 

4 hours ago, H2o said:

Saw this a while ago. The Bills lack true star power outside of Tre on defense. The national media will make a mention of Edmunds sometimes, but everyone else goes relatively unnoticed. It's cool though, I'd put Hyde and Poyer against any tandem in the league. 

Star power is for teenage girls.  

6 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Who cares?  It’s all opinion. Adds more fuel to the fire anyways. 

Agreed. I stopped paying attention to these opinionated polls and rankings a loooooong time ago. But, I'm sure it does bother the players. Especially the ones whose stats prove otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Happy Days Lois & Clark said:

Poyer  and Hyde do not break up enough passes and they don’t create enough turnovers to be on the list.

Their first season in Buffalo they led the league in passes defensed and interceptions by all safety duos. 

The reason their numbers have gone down in both in the last two years? People have spotted that they are really good and they don't throw at them much. 

If there is a weakness to the Hyde - Poyer duo it really isn't against the pass. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Happy Days Lois & Clark said:

Look at Poyer and Hyde numbers last season compared to the rest of the safties in the league. They are near or at the bottom in both categories.

Yes. Because people rarely throw at them. Go look at 2017 when teams did throw at them.

In 2019 Hyde was the 35th most targeted safety in the league.... Poyer was way down in 59th. Teams avoid throwing at them as much as possible because they are really good pass defenders. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1