[Vague Title] I just want to say one thing about this organization

Rubes

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Can we wait until they win a playoff game? I get the excitement and all signs are pointing in the right direction. But if Allen regresses then it will look only worse that McD passed on future MVP QB and Beane used multiple picks to go get Allen. 

That's a load of crap.

It was not luck that we have McD and Beane. The Pegulas used the list of suggested assistants put together by the NFL, interviewed a couple guys, liked what they saw in McD and hired him.  Then they listened to McD and interviewed Beane and brought him in.  

The Sabres?  They brought in two young, up and coming GMs in Murray and Botterill, and both as I recall were on short lists around the league.  Botterill probably more than Murray, and they gave each authority to the point where they ever let Murray tank a season.  Each of these guys brought in coaches either ready for a shot (Housley) or had won cups (Bylsma).  Just hasn’t worked.  I think Kruger is a process guy like McD; let’s hope he gets the same performance McD does.

• Like (+1) 1

Old man, to add to you’re point on the Bills, Beane has assembled a strong scouting department and money guys as they are negotiating well their contracts, and McD put together a heck of a assistant coaching crew.  I know about the Daboll criticism and some is fair, but he is a very well respected coordinator in this league.

25 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Function vs. dysfunction

All true. But if a genie gave you one wish, that one Buffalo team could be championship caliber, but the other would be total garbage, and you got to pick which team was which, you'd pick the Bills, wouldn't you?

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Can we wait until they win a playoff game? I get the excitement and all signs are pointing in the right direction. But if Allen regresses then it will look only worse that McD passed on future MVP QB and Beane used multiple picks to go get Allen. 

Beane and McDermott have done a lot in 3 years. Two playoff appearances and a 10 win season. This coming off 17 straight playoff less seasons. Winning a playoff game is the next step. I think that will happen this year assuming we get a full season.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Old man, to add to you’re point on the Bills, Beane has assembled a strong scouting department and money guys as they are negotiating well their contracts, and McD put together a heck of a assistant coaching crew.  I know about the Daboll criticism and some is fair, but he is a very well respected coordinator in this league.

Couldn't agree more.

10 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Not sure this is accurate.  Beane came of his own choice, McD might have been a factor, but the Pegs hired Bean, and he is their guy, not McD's.  The fact that McD and Bean had an extensive history just makes it work well, as they didn't have to go through the dogs smelling dogs stage of development of how to work together.  As for the Sabres, they still have a way to go...and who knows if the new management can make it go...I surely wish them well, but I am mostly a football fan so I don't have the anxiety many do over the Sabres.

Beane is definitely his own person who worked his way up the Panthers organization.  He was a GM candidate when the Panthers hired Dave Gettelman.

The Bills were also a sh*t show right before McD was hired.  Rex was let go with 3 years remaining on his deal, Tyrod benched the last game, and Whaley's end of season press conference.  Bad times at OBD.  Any new HC candidate and GM for that matter in this situation would have more leverage than usual regarding negotiations.

As outsiders, we will never know the exact details of the negotiations between McD and the Pegulas.  Do you think McD signed the contract not knowing the status of Doug Whaley going forward?  Do you think McD didn't discuss possible new GMs who he could work with as the Bills HC?  McD is an extremely detail oriented guy and even a control freak. To me, all those things were worked out ahead of time and firing Whaley after the draft and hiring Beane soon after was no coincidence.  The best time to hire/fire a coach is at the end of a season.  The best time to hire/fire a GM and staff is right after the draft.  

I believe McD pitched the idea of hiring Beane as GM to the Pegulas.  He may have even demanded it but we will never know.

55 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

All true. But if a genie gave you one wish, that one Buffalo team could be championship caliber, but the other would be total garbage, and you got to pick which team was which, you'd pick the Bills, wouldn't you?

That's a great question. Buffalo has great sports fans that love both teams. IMHO I always think of Buffalo as a football mad city first. I would say the Bills but I am sure a Stanley Cup in WNY would be a great time as well.

9 hours ago, Doc said:

I keep seeing this but do you (or anyone else) have a link?

I hunted did not find, but I clearly remember reading about the NFL providing recommendations which to your point is something to debate in and of itself as well whether it is factual.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well Duh GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

But what about the Bandits? They've won titles!

Edited by Seasons1992
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Beast said:

Honestly, I don't think it's any different other than they haven't found the right people to run the show.

They were fortunate with the Bills after the Rex debacle. They'll get there eventually with the Sabres.....I think.

I think Krueger is the right coach.  We'll see if Adams is the right GM.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

I hunted did not find, but I clearly remember reading about the NFL providing recommendations which to your point is something to debate in and of itself as well whether it is factual.

Assuming the NFL did/does do that, why doesn’t the NHL do that as well?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

NHL doesn’t have a Special Ed program

That would explain a lot about why the league is where it is. And why nobody really cares about it.

That is, assuming the NFL has this alleged Special Ed program.  Still haven’t seen proof of it yet.

They are indeed making the effort with both teams, but don't confuse effort with results. I'm still a long way from rendering judgement, but there iscause for cautious optimism. I'd wager that's how T &K Pegula see it too.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

That would explain a lot about why the league is where it is. And why nobody really cares about it.

That is, assuming the NFL has this alleged Special Ed program.  Still haven’t seen proof of it yet.

That league isn’t “where it is” because Pegula cannot find ANY combo of GM/Coach that is competent, doc.

They don’t seem it as their league’s to tell owners what they are doing wrong.  Neither does NBA, MLB.   Maybe the NFL took pity on PSE

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That league isn’t “where it is” because Pegula cannot find ANY combo of GM/Coach that is competent, doc.

They don’t seem it as their league’s to tell owners what they are doing wrong.  Neither does NBA, MLB.   Maybe the NFL took pity on PSE

Yeah, that must be it. :lol:

And, I was being facetious. There is no “special Ed” (nice one there, BTW) program in the NFL.  Just like you admitted there isn’t one in any other league.