[Vague Title] I just want to say one thing about this organization

Rubes

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

It’s weird that the Sabres are literally the exact opposite. 

As Buffalo sports fans, we're only allowed so much happiness at one time. ? Between the Sabres and the Mets, I'm constantly in the fetal position due to repeated kicks to the twig and berries. Thankfully, the Bills have at least allowed me to sit up and breathe. 

Seriously though, the saddest and most frustrating thing for me during this whole Sabres debacle is that the first five years of the great Jack Eichel's career have been flushed down the drain. I hope they can right the ship soon. Starting a winning tradition with the sweet 'new' (original color) sweater coming next year would be great. :beer:

55 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Ralph Wilson wasn't really cheap.  He had senior advisors he trusted who WERE cheap.  The chief culprit was a lawyer named Littman or Lippman, who constantly found ways for the Bills to cut costs.

In the glory days, when the Bills played the Cowboys in the last two SBs, the Cowboys had loaded up on FAs who were being paid from Jerry Jones' deep pockets.  The salary cap was a toy for these guys, who found ways to buy the players they wanted. The Bills couldn't compete using the money the Bills got from tickets and sponsors, and Littman wouldn't let Wilson spend Wilson's own money.  

“Wouldn’t let him” Sorry, I don’t believe for a minute that if Ralph actually  wanted to spend his money that Littman was gonna convince him not to, jmo. 

9 minutes ago, Maybe Someday said:

Never want to bash Ralph but he was extremely cheap. The sr advisers held their positions as long as they did because they did what Ralph told them to do. 

OK...let what you said sink in for a minute and see if that actually makes logical sense to you.

Your boss tells you to do something. You want to work at the place where you are at and keep your job.  What option do you have OTHER than to do what your boss tells you to do?

And even if you say no, it's not like your boss is just going to say "Well, OK just do it then", they are going to fire you and hire someone that is going to do what he tells them to do.

How does this even make any sense??

• Haha (+1) 1

IIRC the NFL provided the Pegulas with a short list of coaches to consider and Sean McD was on it; McD no doubt recommended Beano and we got...lucky

I play baseball with a guy who was a high-school classmate of McD from PA and calls McD turbo-intense in high-school and a practical joker (sophisticated sense of humor).

My personal seal of approval is based on  the fact that he wrestled at a high-level in the state of PA (I ref wrestling for sereral years) and that he went to William and Mary (brainiacs die to get in there) and played ball at the same time is a significant achievement (time managment).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

It’s weird that the Sabres are literally the exact opposite. 

Not weird, the organization is not run by Terry and Kim.  How well the Bills are run is substantially more a testament to the combination of Beene and McD.  Terry and Kim still get credit, they are doing the right things.  But point is, that its not very easy to find a great GM and also a great HC, let alone both at the same time.  Beene and McD have taken a firm grasp on how this team is run, finding talent, the culture, etc.  

None of that is a dig on Terry and Kim, just saying while they struck gold with our GM and HC, its not something easily replicable either.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Well all do with respect, he was very cheap. The only time he wasn’t cheap was during the levy/Kelly era and then right up until after the Bledsoe failure he went right back to being extremely cheap not only in not spending money on free agents or re signing our own but also was very cheap when it came to HCs

Mario Williams?  That was a huge deal.

Where Ralph was really cheap was with head coaches and GMs.  I don’t recall what Levy ended up making but he initially was probably given a low deal.  By the time he retired he must’ve been better paid.

Of course, you also had the head scratchers with players like not wanting to pay Ahmad Rashad, but later giving players like Chris Kelsay bigger deals than they deserved.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

OK...let what you said sink in for a minute and see if that actually makes logical sense to you.

Your boss tells you to do something. You want to work at the place where you are at and keep your job.  What option do you have OTHER than to do what your boss tells you to do?

And even if you say no, it's not like your boss is just going to say "Well, OK just do it then", they are going to fire you and hire someone that is going to do what he tells them to do.

How does this even make any sense??

Huh??  Did you read the post I was responding to????

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

They need the right GM and HC.  It's as simple as that.  I hope they can find them.

They found a good coach in Kreuger.  They need players now.  Let's hope Kevyn Adams has the eye.

1 hour ago, First Round Bust said:

IIRC the NFL provided the Pegulas with a short list of coaches to consider and Sean McD was on it; McD no doubt recommended Beano and we got...lucky

I play baseball with a guy who was a high-school classmate of McD from PA and calls McD turbo-intense in high-school and a practical joker (sophisticated sense of humor).

My personal seal of approval is based on  the fact that he wrestled at a high-level in the state of PA (I ref wrestling for sereral years) and that he went to William and Mary (brainiacs die to get in there) and played ball at the same time is a significant achievement (time managment).

I was in Pittsburgh for the Steelers game last year and we were out to dinner and somebody came up to me and was saying he was all pumped up for the game and thought the Bills were gonna win and I said "Oh nice Bills fan huh?" and he replied "No I wrestled with Sean McDermott in high school and he is the MAN!" I love that our head coach has that kind of respect from everybody he has crossed paths with.  

• Like (+1) 1

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They found a good coach in Kreuger.  They need players now.  Let's hope Kevyn Adams has the eye.

Time will tell.  I do think the Peguals will eventually get it right with the Sabres.  Perhaps Kreuger and Adams are the right duo.  If not, they will keep trying until they get it right.  It took fewer swings and misses (although some) with the Bills.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

They need the right GM and HC.  It's as simple as that.  I hope they can find them.

Well when you hire someone as your new GM who is from the business side of the house, and you interview no other candidates, chances are they still won’t get it right. 

3 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Not really.  The Bills pivoted with hiring McD who brought in Beane.  The Sabres are just a disaster.

Not sure this is accurate.  Beane came of his own choice, McD might have been a factor, but the Pegs hired Bean, and he is their guy, not McD's.  The fact that McD and Bean had an extensive history just makes it work well, as they didn't have to go through the dogs smelling dogs stage of development of how to work together.  As for the Sabres, they still have a way to go...and who knows if the new management can make it go...I surely wish them well, but I am mostly a football fan so I don't have the anxiety many do over the Sabres.

4 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

I keep seeing this but do you (or anyone else) have a link?