Next time you want to Call the Pegula's Greedy. Penn State Ticket Policy

plenzmd1

6 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

What's the option then? Separate sports from education all together? I was trying to find a middle ground.  These kids get recognized based on the school they come from. If some type of D league alternative is set up, I see that being a detriment instead of a positive in the long run, even if they get paid. 

I don't think a complete separation is the answer.  I do, however, think that student-athletes should be accepted into school by the same criteria all other students are.  And I think some sort of D league for those who can't get into school for academic reasons, but have pro-level athletic talent.

It's a win-win for the athlete and for the scholar who might otherwise be on the outside looking into the school that had no room for them.

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

2 things

1) they play the most complicated game in all of sports..no matter the position

2) they got in college, which comes with requirements

better question is why do you assume they are not?

I'm not saying that being an NFL player means you're dumb.  The league is loaded with smart dudes.

But, being the smart man that YOU are, there is no goddamn way that you believe that all of these guys get into college legitimately qualifying for entry.

Me?  I call it like I see it.  There is not a chance in hell that someone who can't put together a complete sentence in his mother tongue had the grades necessary to get into/graduate from any college.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Maybe people who aren't smart enough to go to college shouldn't prevent others, who are, from going to college - just to play football and make other people rich.

Mind you - I don't fault the players.  They're being used.

A tad disingenuous. They're also being enriched 

46 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not saying that being an NFL player means you're dumb.  The league is loaded with smart dudes.

But, being the smart man that YOU are, there is no goddamn way that you believe that all of these guys get into college legitimately qualifying for entry.

Me?  I call it like I see it.  There is not a chance in hell that someone who can't put together a complete sentence in his mother tongue had the grades necessary to get into/graduate from any college.

There are still minimum requirements to play college athletics, all college athletics. What they do with the chance once they get there is up to them. But playing just about any sport, at most levels but especially D1, usually affords special academic resources   

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

There are still minimum requirements to play college athletics, all college athletics. What they do with the chance once they get there is up to them. But playing just about any sport, at most levels but especially D1, usually affords special academic resources   

And it's my opinion that for some of these athletes that the "special resources," are other people taking their tests/doing their assignments and/or boosters paying professors to ensure their grades are high enough to allow them to play.  To me, that is a huge problem.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It actually turns out most of these Unis have a lot of restrictions on how they may use their endowments, without a "covid pandemic" clause for relaxing them.

i'm sure a board meeting could fix that quick and nobody would bat an eye.  i am sure they also have dipped into that coin for much less important stuff. 

9 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

What's the option then? Separate sports from education all together? I was trying to find a middle ground.  These kids get recognized based on the school they come from. If some type of D league alternative is set up, I see that being a detriment instead of a positive in the long run, even if they get paid. 

That's how mlb does it basically.

A lot of those players are getting screwed over too for what it's worth, but in different ways: 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2062307-an-inside-look-into-the-harsh-conditions-of-minor-league-baseball

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2018/4/20/17259846/minor-league-baseball-anti-labor-ronald-acuna-scott-kingery

Edited by HardyBoy