Next time you want to Call the Pegula's Greedy. Penn State Ticket Policy

plenzmd1

8 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Look at this from Penn State and their ticket policy this year. yowser...guess they think Happy Valley faithful made of money. In any case, you donating your PSL(seat contribution lol) 

Not ideal as a fan, but I don’t think it’s crazy to incentivize rolling money over instead of a refund. And the penalty for refund isn’t super harsh.

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Not ideal as a fan, but I don’t think it’s crazy to incentivize rolling money over instead of a refund. And the penalty for refund isn’t super harsh.

College so different than pros. Can you imagine the backlash if the Bills said “‘if you don’t roll over as a credit, you lose your seats”. Or even better , “ you lose your sat donation blackmail no matter we don’t have a seat for you to sit in” 

I get college is different , but damn the pitchforks for the Pegulas would be out if the Bills came even close to this policy. 

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

College so different than pros. Can you imagine the backlash if the Bills said “‘if you don’t roll over as a credit, you lose your seats”. Or even better , “ you lose your sat donation blackmail no matter we don’t have a seat for you to sit in” 

I get college is different , but damn the pitchforks for the Pegulas would be out if the Bills came even close to this policy. 

As they will be there too for awhile. But most will eventually justify it as not mattering much to pay 2021 seats 6 months early. 

plenty of concerts and events doing similar with rolling the ticket forward or get a refund and risk buying again later. 

I don’t love it, but with a lot of institutions in severe hardship and the process of refunding and recollecting also being a chore... I get incentivizing a path of least resistance 

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

As they will be there too for awhile. But most will eventually justify it as not mattering much to pay 2021 seats 6 months early. 

plenty of concerts and events doing similar with rolling the ticket forward or get a refund and risk buying again later. 

I don’t love it, but with a lot of institutions in severe hardship and the process of refunding and recollecting also being a chore... I get incentivizing a path of least resistance 

this is not a pure "roll it to next year" . The "seat contribution" is forfeited in all 3 scenarios...my guess would be that is 3x the ticket price for any decent ticket.At least $5K per seat for rows 7-50 between the 20s.

Edited by plenzmd1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

And to think ... not one player is getting paid a dime.

That's the bigger problem, IMO.

A scholarship has to count for something right? Sure you can make the argument that the money they generate is far more than they receive, but a 4 year education at a high profile school has some substance. 

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

A scholarship has to count for something right? Sure you can make the argument that the money they generate is far more than they receive, but a 4 year education at a high profile school has some substance. 

I think you know as well as I do that most of the players' degrees/education (I use those terms loosely) were not earned and will do nothing for them after football.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

There is a "ticket price" and a "football seat contribution".  I'm not sure what each costs but they are forcing fans to forfeit the second one.  That's crap.  What if an individual fan doesn't wish to "donate" to that particular charity?  

Somehow I doubt the Levi Lamb fund helps underage victims of sexual predators.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think you know as well as I do that most of the players' degrees/education (I use those terms loosely) were not earned and will do nothing for them after football.

That's the rub. Maybe there should be different curriculums for athletes and students depending upon their career paths. 

Just now, RaoulDuke79 said:

That's the rub. Maybe there should be different curriculums for athletes and students depending upon their career paths. 

Maybe people who aren't smart enough to go to college shouldn't prevent others, who are, from going to college - just to play football and make other people rich.

Mind you - I don't fault the players.  They're being used.

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

That"s on the players dude, and vast majority of players are better of with the academic support they get through sports than if they were in school without that support.

I hate the NCAA, but  NIL gonna have widespread implications.Top guys in revenue sports gunna get endorsements, everyone gunna get taxed on value of scholarship...

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Maybe people who aren't smart enough to go to college shouldn't prevent others, who are, from going to college - just to play football and make other people rich.

why do you assume football players are not smart?

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

That"s on the players dude, and vast majority of players are better of with the academic support they get through sports than if they were in school without that support.

I hate the NCAA, but  NIL gonna have widespread implications.Top guys in revenue sports gunna get endorsements, everyone gunna get taxed on value of scholarship...

why do you assume football players are not smart?

Why do you assume they are smart?

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What's the option then? Separate sports from education all together? I was trying to find a middle ground.  These kids get recognized based on the school they come from. If some type of D league alternative is set up, I see that being a detriment instead of a positive in the long run, even if they get paid. 

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Why do you assume they are smart?

2 things

1) they play the most complicated game in all of sports..no matter the position

2) they got in college, which comes with requirements

better question is why do you assume they are not?

6 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

I would draw season ticket holders by lottery and offer 10,000 fans to come to the stadium. Every other row, 6 feet apart , masks , the whole bit.  No concessions, etc etc.  Other sports are doing it.   Put em all in the lower bowl.   Must waive legal rights.  Tape off every other row.   You have until Friday to decide.   What do you think?  

Can't. The problem isn't with seating, the problem is how are all those people going to get to their seats? To the bathrooms?  Impossible to keep that much distance in those confined spaces like entrances, bathrooms and concourses. Those people would be packed like sardines.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Matter, you hit it.  It’s impossible to enforce social distancing in the runways, etc.  I disagree with the PSU position, but understand college programs are so much more dependent on seat revenue, and one of the reason why the other sports are being cancelled this year is they exist off the major sports programs like football and basketball.  It’s sad so many of these kids came on wrestling and other scholarships, but were fueled by the revenue from the major sports.  It’s also just a reality today, and people are hurting in a number of different ways.