NFL Sunday Ticket 2020

10 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

When I had DTV, weather was only an issue because the installer cut corners on mounting the dish. He only used two bolts on the bracket, not four, and one of the two wasn't in all the way. So when it would start getting windy and rainy, the wind was enough to push the dish out of alignment, and I'd lose my national channels. The local dish was fine. 

Thanks for the info.  Think I'll give DTV a shot.  Not ready to stream everything yet, seems like a lot of work to manage what I want (we do use Hulu, amazon and netflix for certain shows)  At the very least I'll get a year or two (whatever the contract is) cheaper than what I'm paying Spectrum now. 

Made the annual call today - got $60 off for 12 months but that was it from their loyalty dept. I asked for cancellation dept and he said he could schedule that for me. Serious hardball,  so I said I’d take the offer and would call back if I decided to cancel.  After that I went the Twitter route as I had success last year that way. Got an additional $15 off per month with no expiration, and another $25 off current bill (since new promotions don’t take affect til next billing cycle). At that point I just flat out asked if she could comp me ST Max....short hold and....Ding Ding!!

For those that haven’t tried this route, direct message @ATTHelp saying you need relief with your bill. They will reply with a chat link. At that point be super polite and ask what they can do for you. Suffice it to say,  their social media CSR was much more pleasant than the phone guy I got. 

YMMV. Good luck.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

16-year DTV customer here, just called to get an MLB charge removed from my bill (when I had already called months earlier to get it removed from my account), and see what new credits might be available. 

I ended my call 100 minutes later having closed my account.  They were brutal.  And oh by the way, told me they could not refund me the $65.99 they had already charged me for the first payment for ST they had collected from me.  How ridiculous is that?

I am hoping they contact me with new customer offers.  They better be good.

Keep us posted...

5 hours ago, Jukester said:

Made the annual call today - got $60 off for 12 months but that was it from their loyalty dept. I asked for cancellation dept and he said he could schedule that for me. Serious hardball,  so I said I’d take the offer and would call back if I decided to cancel.  After that I went the Twitter route as I had success last year that way. Got an additional $15 off per month with no expiration, and another $25 off current bill (since new promotions don’t take affect til next billing cycle). At that point I just flat out asked if she could comp me ST Max....short hold and....Ding Ding!!

For those that haven’t tried this route, direct message @ATTHelp saying you need relief with your bill. They will reply with a chat link. At that point be super polite and ask what they can do for you. Suffice it to say,  their social media CSR was much more pleasant than the phone guy I got. 

YMMV. Good luck.

Last year i got transferred from retention to the cancel department apparently that’s how the retention person needed to do to help me out.  Ended up with ST free, free sports pack, free movie channels for 6 months a 200$ gift card, 50$ off for 6 months.    Haven’t made the call yet waiting till closer to the season start

14 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

16-year DTV customer here, just called to get an MLB charge removed from my bill (when I had already called months earlier to get it removed from my account), and see what new credits might be available. 

I ended my call 100 minutes later having closed my account.  They were brutal.  And oh by the way, told me they could not refund me the $65.99 they had already charged me for the first payment for ST they had collected from me.  How ridiculous is that?

I am hoping they contact me with new customer offers.  They better be good.

Made "The Call" yesterday and had almost the same experience...offered my $40 off/month and no deals on ST.  Told them I'll try again later.  It was a tough half hour...how did you stay on with them for 100 minutes?!?!  I would have pulled what little hair I have left out of my head.  I'll try the Twitter route today.

Also, why does it take them so long to bring up your account...I swear half the time I was on the call with them was waiting for ATT to bring up my account. 

Edited by Ned Flanders

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am surprised that DTV is playing hardball this year. I assumed it would be the opposite, given they have very little leverage with the season in doubt. 

I am planning on making the call early next week. 

My call wasn’t hard at all.  I did the usual by saying “cancel service” to the robot lady at the beginning of the call, but when I was transferred to customer retention I was overly nice and polite.  Just asked if they had any deals or promotions for a loyal customer.  Ten minute call.  $45 off for 12 months and ST Max for free.  No contract extension, so I’m still month to month.

Perhaps your experience depends on whether you get a “call center” here in the US, or one overseas.  The representative for my most recent call was clearly from this country.  The woman had a southern accent.  I have dealt with international call centers in the past, and have had some not so great experiences ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My call wasn’t hard at all.  I did the usual by saying “cancel service” to the robot lady at the beginning of the call, but when I was transferred to customer retention I was overly nice and polite.  Just asked if they had any deals or promotions for a loyal customer.  Ten minute call.  $45 off for 12 months and ST Max for free.  No contract extension, so I’m still month to month.

Perhaps your experience depends on whether you get a “call center” here in the US, or one overseas.  The representative for my most recent call was clearly from this country.  The woman had a southern accent.  I have dealt with international call centers in the past, and have had some not so great experiences ?‍♂️

this has always been my experience too, doing it for many years (including after the ATT acquisition). I’ve never had a negative experience— knock on wood. 

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

this has always been my experience too, doing it for many years (including after the ATT acquisition). I’ve never had a negative experience— knock on wood. 

Same here.  I think the longest time I ever spent on the phone was about 40 minutes...but well worth it.  I do think it matters whether or not you're a jackass.

Just now, eball said:

Same here.  I think the longest time I ever spent on the phone was about 40 minutes...but well worth it.  I do think it matters whether or not you're a jackass.

haha— true. I am nice to them. I pretty much tell them the truth, “my wife is on my back to cancel; can you cut me a deal for the sake of my marriage?!” 

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Made "The Call" yesterday and had almost the same experience...offered my $40 off/month and no deals on ST.  Told them I'll try again later.  It was a tough half hour...how did you stay on with them for 100 minutes?!?!  I would have pulled what little hair I have left out of my head.  I'll try the Twitter route today.

Also, why does it take them so long to bring up your account...I swear half the time I was on the call with them was waiting for ATT to bring up my account. 

Part of the reason I was on so long was because I had to recover a $30 charge they hit me for over MLB - when I had specifically terminated it months before.  But the young South Asian girl who was "helping" me took an eternity to get that done.  That was because it took her forever to pull up my account.  I think they try to wear you down and make you give up.  But while they were holding my money, I wasn't going to give up.

The other amazing thing was, "customer loyalty" said that when I terminated my account they could not refund the $65.99 that they had already charged me for the first payment of Sunday Ticket, when I hadn't even seen a down of football.  I was blown away.  At that point I had to close my account just on principle.  

Interestingly, part of their closing script was to tell me to be on the lookout for offers to re-subscribe.

I always thought the cost of new customer acquisition was a "thing" in business, but it appears AT&T's version of DTV now builds this into their model. 

PS - was not a jerk.

Edited by BillnutinHouston
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/20/2020 at 3:17 PM, Bills fan since 87 said:

The wife and I just bought a house and the closing date is Sept 25.  Once we move I think I'm gonna finally ditch spectrum and give Direct TV a shot.  2 questions, A) is it a given that they will offer Sunday Ticket as I will be a new customer or do I have to ask for it and B) how often is weather really an issue?

heavy rains and snow storms will give you trouble 

how often?

hard to say.  less than once a month 

most interruptions are short 1 to 15 minutes 

17 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

That was because it took her forever to pull up my account.  I think they try to wear you down and make you give up.  

Good point...I can pull up my account within seconds online but it seems to take 10 minutes for these CSRs.

Called today.  Told them I can't afford $50 a month for 6 months for the ticket.   Told them I need to get the cost significantly lower or would have to cancel the ticket.   I already have $50 off a month loyalty discount for 12 months from back in the spring.   He immediately said I qualify for Sunday Ticket MAX for free.  I've never had it for 100% free before.  

Took about 10 min on the phone.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m going to try the twitter route. 

Legit the best way to reach companies these days - it’s literally the ONLY way I can get through to Comcast.  It’s impossible to talk to a human in that company...

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Legit the best way to reach companies these days - it’s literally the ONLY way I can get through to Comcast.  It’s impossible to talk to a human in that company...

I slid into their DMs this morning. Still insist no promos on Sunday ticket. Got 30/mo off for 12 mos for being a “ good customer”

• Like (+1) 1