Would you be cool if the Bills traded Tre White for a big trade package like the Jets got for Adams?

Estro

39 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Diggs and Edmunds are up there for me. 

Diggs is a proven, top 10 caliber WR, who will be in his prime for years to come.  He also plays a premium position and there's no guarantee 2-1sts get you a Diggs.

Edmunds is a bit different as a LB... but i truly think he could be transcendent once it all clicks... What he can bring to the defense at his size and speed is absurd.  In passing downs the guy can either rush the passer or drop and basically take away the entire middle of the field.

They were definitely on my radar as well. I wouldn’t do either of them for late 1sts for sure. 

2 hours ago, Estro said:

Its always stuck with me that one of McDermotts first decisions with the Bills was to let Stephon Gilmorexwalk in FA.  As far as I understand the Bills didn't even extend an offer to Gilmore, and then they used their 1st tound pick that yr to srlect White.

As far as letting Gilmore go, I'm no Technical X's and O's expert, but would Gilmore have been an ideal fit in McD's defense?  It seems NE plays a different defense than we do.  So that may have been why.  Seems like that's always and issue with changing staff's too many players don't fit the scheme and you end up half or completely starting over.

11 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

He's a zone corner, a good player, but still a zone corner.   I'd take two first rounders for him but only when his contract is up

This is vastly understating Tre’s abilities. 

He he is NOT “just” a zone corner.

I think $20M for an All-Pro CB is a fair deal. Tre probably won us two games last year alone. I think QB, DE and CB are probably the three positions I’m okay with spending that kind of money on.. Maybe WR if he is truly elite.. He practically shuts down his side of the field, good character guy, never causes any problems... he’s probably my favorite player on the team not named Josh Allen..

2 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Agree - being the Jets is not a good strategy.  The Bills are on a path with a proven strategy - why deviate?

Well the stated strategy is to draft well and sign your own that pan out. We have yet to see them accomplish this.  They now have the opportunity with Tre, Dawkins, and Milano.

And there is no proof that that strategy even works.  The only strategy that consistently works is to find a franchise QB at all/any cost. And the jury is still out on Allen.

Do they plan on extending him for top corner money? Isn’t that the real question? 

Carolina let Norman walk for big money don’t recall if they tried to make a competitive offer and for whatever reason, guys that were average to less than elsewhere have been very good in this defense. 

personally I like having the guy around for more than just his play, but it’s not going to be cheap, and there are bound to be other suitors.

40 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

If the Bills did anything, they should give him a new contract now, with added bonuses to this year, to compensate him for the added risk in playing & to encourage him to play.

That's what you do with one of your best players. You don't trade him (like the Jests would), while Tre is on the fence about opting out. Seems to me that trading Tre would be antithetical to how Beane operates... even just thinking about it seems backwards, but jmo.

Brian, it’s a bad policy no matter how good the guy has performed to extend a three year player.  You wait til year four.  Not sure why it’s floated the $20 mil. thing as most estimate $18 mil. Next year.  This among other reasons of the dumpster fire why they let Adams go.  They picked up a haul and they are a mess.  We are three years into a rebuild, and made the playoffs two of the last three years, and have a team going deep.

I can’t believe this is being discussed AND to this length!! Moves like this is what the old Bills would attempt to do and what this board would kill them over! We finally have that young superstar and now people want to trade him for draft picks? 

People need to get over this idea that the Bills are only going to be able to pay 1 guy top dollar-look at the really successful franchises, they have paid multiple guys a lot of money. Paying Tre does not mean you won’t have enough money to sign any other guys, and saying he should be traded is just a ridiculous statement. The Bills finally have something positive going and some of you are ready to start all over.

you know who trades away a top corner for a couple of picks? The Jags-do you really want this team to look like the Jags?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

If the Bills did anything, they should give him a new contract now, with added bonuses to this year, to compensate him for the added risk in playing & to encourage him to play.

That's what you do with one of your best players. You don't trade him (like the Jests would), while Tre is on the fence about opting out. Seems to me that trading Tre would be antithetical to how Beane operates... even just thinking about it seems backwards, but jmo.

The Jets weren't a Jamal Adams away from competing in the next 2-3 seasons. Those picks and the cap relief of not having to sign Adams to a deal are of much more value to them. The Bills are a Tre White away from contending in the next 2-3 years. The secondary is heavily anchored by Tre and even if the Bills hauled in two first round picks and a second round pick along with a decent player for Tre it still would hold less value for the Bills over the next 2-3 years.

Yes long term in a 4-7 year time frame could the Bills get more value out of 3 premium draft picks and the cap space from Tre? Arguably yes (Most player for picks trades usually look better long term for the team that gets the picks), but your window to contend in the NFL is short and losing your best defensive player almost no matter what the return hurts your team's ability to contend and sets you back from winning while you have as complete a team as possible. 

I also think the message you send to the team by trading away a leader almost certainly helps tank your season. Tre was literally the first player drafted by McD and he has been an All-Pro. You have to send a message to your team you are willing to take care of your own. Tre is also a super great guy who you feel comfortable handling a big contract and his play on the field more than justifies it.

That's why the Diggs trade makes sense for the Bills given the window to win. The Bills might have been better served long term by having drafted a WR who would be in team control for 5 years with that pick and have some more sort term cap space. But Diggs makes an impact from day one and maximizes the team's window to win the next 2-3 seasons in a way a rookie most likely wouldn't have. Time tables matter.

42 minutes ago, Logic said:

Disgruntled Glorified linebacker? Sure. Trade him for picks.

Model teammate, All-Pro corner? No. Do not trade that man.

Even if Adams was as good as Tre on the field the Jets were better off trading him because they aren't going anywhere the next 2 years anyway. Adams no matter how good he was isn't the difference between the Jets contending and the Jets not contending. If you are at least a year or two away getting two first round picks and cap relief is insanely good for them at their point of rebuilding. The Bills on the other hand are a Tre White away from competing. The Bills need Tre to maximize a window to win in the next 2-3 seasons. Whereas had the Jets kept Adams they wouldn't see a window to really win with him until he was on a big contract in his late 20's. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Estro said:

Its always stuck with me that one of McDermotts first decisions with the Bills was to let Stephon Gilmorexwalk in FA.  As far as I understand the Bills didn't even extend an offer to Gilmore, and then they used their 1st tound pick that yr to srlect White.  I always thought that McDermott might be a coach who doesn't like to overpay at the CB position as his defenses seem yo perform well without having lock down CB's.

It would definitely hurt to lose a player of Whites caliber short term, but what if the Bills could return a bounty like the Jets got for Adams.  IMO, White is a more valuable player than Adams so I don't think a similar trade package is crazy.

Like I said White is a great player, but hes also going to command about $20M a yr. soon.......and I just don't think its good business to spend that type of money on any 1 player, outside of a good QB.  Id much rather have the $20M in cap space plus two 1st rounders, plus an avg. starting CB if a trade were to go down.

I have a feeling it won't be well received on this forum, but I think it'd be a smart move.  I think the Bills would still have a really good roster and with the extra cap space (by not signing White) and the extra draft capital (two 1st round picks) would be a lot more valuable than just 1 CB in Tre White.

McDermott has always had a top tier CB in his defenses. They're not trading White

No Bueno!  I would def not do this no matter any of the arguments for.  Just not good football management.  Thankfully the Bills have a trustable brain trust in place right now.  They have yet to do anything that made me think Wholly Crap thats a bad move..........yet.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Estro said:

Its always stuck with me that one of McDermotts first decisions with the Bills was to let Stephon Gilmorexwalk in FA.  As far as I understand the Bills didn't even extend an offer to Gilmore, and then they used their 1st tound pick that yr to srlect White.  I always thought that McDermott might be a coach who doesn't like to overpay at the CB position as his defenses seem yo perform well without having lock down CB's.

It would definitely hurt to lose a player of Whites caliber short term, but what if the Bills could return a bounty like the Jets got for Adams.  IMO, White is a more valuable player than Adams so I don't think a similar trade package is crazy.

Like I said White is a great player, but hes also going to command about $20M a yr. soon.......and I just don't think its good business to spend that type of money on any 1 player, outside of a good QB.  Id much rather have the $20M in cap space plus two 1st rounders, plus an avg. starting CB if a trade were to go down.

I have a feeling it won't be well received on this forum, but I think it'd be a smart move.  I think the Bills would still have a really good roster and with the extra cap space (by not signing White) and the extra draft capital (two 1st round picks) would be a lot more valuable than just 1 CB in Tre White.

No 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

As far as letting Gilmore go, I'm no Technical X's and O's expert, but would Gilmore have been an ideal fit in McD's defense?  It seems NE plays a different defense than we do.  So that may have been why.  Seems like that's always and issue with changing staff's too many players don't fit the scheme and you end up half or completely starting over.

Buffalo didn't tag him, and didn't want to make him the highest paid CB.  At that time he'd made 1 pro bowl.  Hindsight it would've been nice to tag him and trade him - especially if the plan was to tear the team down to the studs and eat dead money anyway

15 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Buffalo didn't tag him, and didn't want to make him the highest paid CB.  At that time he'd made 1 pro bowl.  Hindsight it would've been nice to tag him and trade him - especially if the plan was to tear the team down to the studs and eat dead money anyway

This was the Bills biggest mistake....not tag and trade.  Look what the Jags got for Ramsey.   They would have had the draft capital to get Mahomes and White.

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Jets weren't a Jamal Adams away from competing in the next 2-3 seasons. Those picks and the cap relief of not having to sign Adams to a deal are of much more value to them. The Bills are a Tre White away from contending in the next 2-3 years. The secondary is heavily anchored by Tre and even if the Bills hauled in two first round picks and a second round pick along with a decent player for Tre it still would hold less value for the Bills over the next 2-3 years.

Yes long term in a 4-7 year time frame could the Bills get more value out of 3 premium draft picks and the cap space from Tre? Arguably yes (Most player for picks trades usually look better long term for the team that gets the picks), but your window to contend in the NFL is short and losing your best defensive player almost no matter what the return hurts your team's ability to contend and sets you back from winning while you have as complete a team as possible. 

I also think the message you send to the team by trading away a leader almost certainly helps tank your season. Tre was literally the first player drafted by McD and he has been an All-Pro. You have to send a message to your team you are willing to take care of your own. Tre is also a super great guy who you feel comfortable handling a big contract and his play on the field more than justifies it.

That's why the Diggs trade makes sense for the Bills given the window to win. The Bills might have been better served long term by having drafted a WR who would be in team control for 5 years with that pick and have some more sort term cap space. But Diggs makes an impact from day one and maximizes the team's window to win the next 2-3 seasons in a way a rookie most likely wouldn't have. Time tables matter.

Even if Adams was as good as Tre on the field the Jets were better off trading him because they aren't going anywhere the next 2 years anyway. Adams no matter how good he was isn't the difference between the Jets contending and the Jets not contending. If you are at least a year or two away getting two first round picks and cap relief is insanely good for them at their point of rebuilding. The Bills on the other hand are a Tre White away from competing. The Bills need Tre to maximize a window to win in the next 2-3 seasons. Whereas had the Jets kept Adams they wouldn't see a window to really win with him until he was on a big contract in his late 20's. 

I'm confused, i said we shouldnt trade Tre & if we did anything we should extend him. Idk why you wrote me a huge post countering me while agreeing with me lol