Would you be cool if the Bills traded Tre White for a big trade package like the Jets got for Adams?

Estro

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I vote no... I want to build around guys like White, but you make a good point about McDermott's Defenses in relation to the Cornerback position.

Will be REALLY interesting to see how the secondary performs this year if Tre opts-out.  

You'd also get $20M in cap space to allocate elsewhere on your roster.....its not an easy decision, but Id take the picks and cash

2 minutes ago, Estro said:

You'd also get $20M in cap space to allocate elsewhere on your roster.....its not an easy decision, but Id take the picks and cash

Picks and cash don't win games. Players do....let's not go back to we need draft picks and cap space. This team is built to win now. 

• Like (+1) 3

Right now it's a hard no for me. He's an elite corner who by all accounts wants to be here. Pay him if you can. 

Now...if he does opt out and this defense is elite with the average guys we have, that may change things. 

One other point...they did try to pay Norman in Carolina. IIRC talks were slow, they franchised him and then he said some stuff and they rescinded the tag to let him walk. 

27 minutes ago, Estro said:

Its always stuck with me that one of McDermotts first decisions with the Bills was to let Stephon Gilmorexwalk in FA.  As far as I understand the Bills didn't even extend an offer to Gilmore, and then they used their 1st tound pick that yr to srlect White.  I always thought that McDermott might be a coach who doesn't like to overpay at the CB position as his defenses seem yo perform well without having lock down CB's.

It would definitely hurt to lose a player of Whites caliber short term, but what if the Bills could return a bounty like the Jets got for Adams.  IMO, White is a more valuable player than Adams so I don't think a similar trade package is crazy.

Like I said White is a great player, but hes also going to command about $20M a yr. soon.......and I just don't think its good business to spend that type of money on any 1 player, outside of a good QB.  Id much rather have the $20M in cap space plus two 1st rounders, plus an avg. starting CB if a trade were to go down.

I have a feeling it won't be well received on this forum, but I think it'd be a smart move.  I think the Bills would still have a really good roster and with the extra cap space (by not signing White) and the extra draft capital (two 1st round picks) would be a lot more valuable than just 1 CB in Tre White.

The Bills already saved half a billion dollars by not drafting Mahomes with their pick, might as well save $20,000,000 a year more by not paying White.  Then they could draft players with those picks who will either be unworthy of large contracts or who can also be shipped out of town if they’re any good.  It’s the perfect plan.

• Haha (+1) 2

You do this when you are trying to rebuild not when you are trying to win it all. White is entering his prime .. pay the man.  BTW as to those who are criticizing White for comtemplating  taking the year off .. shut up. It is in the end a game and it is his decision.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/06/tredavious-white-reacts-to-fans-criticizing-his-opt-out-deliberations/

• Awesome! (+1) 1

so it seems the overall sentiment is:

Tre White > '21 1st rounder, '22 1st rounder, avg. Player and an additional $10-12M in cap space.

I guess I'm in the minority, but given our organizations success with FAs and drafts and Id be pretty pumped to see what they could do to this already solid roster with all those picks and cap savings.

Whites a great player, but this would be an easy decision for me.  That said do you guys agree with me that White is a more valuable piece than Jamal Adams.

• Like (+1) 2

Corkscrew, fair enough on the Tre White criticism, but I haven’t seen a lot of it here.  Most people don’t want him to opt out, but I haven’t read unless missed it him being trashed by TSW.  I do appreciate the link and hope he plays, but as cited, it is just a game.  I’ve already said my piece on letting him walk.  We are a winning team.  You don’t lose key players when we haven’t even won a playoff game yet.

If Tre wants to be in Buffalo, then I would prefer him to stay, BUT I think you also need to look at it.

If you can get 2 #1 picks, #3 and #4 AND we would get a decent CB back.

I think it really depends on where you think those #1's would be (1-32).  If you think they would be in the Top 15, I think you seriously need to look at trading him.

3 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

You do this when you are trying to rebuild not when you are trying to win it all. White is entering his prime .. pay the man.  BTW as to those who are criticizing White for comtemplating  taking the year off .. shut up. It is in the end a game and it is his decision.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/08/06/tredavious-white-reacts-to-fans-criticizing-his-opt-out-deliberations/

Like when the Patriots traded Chandler Jones, a dominant pass rusher, in the height of their dynasty and went on to win another Super Bowl after the trade

That's a no from me. White is already a 1st Team All Pro in just his 3rd year in the league. He's also only 25 years old. We can have a top 3 CB for the next 5-6 years for sure barring injury. After that he can likely transition to Safety and give you another good 3-4 years. White is a fun-loving, hard working guy who has embraced this city and is also elite at his position. He's a keeper.