Would you be cool if the Bills traded Tre White for a big trade package like the Jets got for Adams?

Estro

Its always stuck with me that one of McDermotts first decisions with the Bills was to let Stephon Gilmorexwalk in FA.  As far as I understand the Bills didn't even extend an offer to Gilmore, and then they used their 1st tound pick that yr to srlect White.  I always thought that McDermott might be a coach who doesn't like to overpay at the CB position as his defenses seem yo perform well without having lock down CB's.

It would definitely hurt to lose a player of Whites caliber short term, but what if the Bills could return a bounty like the Jets got for Adams.  IMO, White is a more valuable player than Adams so I don't think a similar trade package is crazy.

Like I said White is a great player, but hes also going to command about $20M a yr. soon.......and I just don't think its good business to spend that type of money on any 1 player, outside of a good QB.  Id much rather have the $20M in cap space plus two 1st rounders, plus an avg. starting CB if a trade were to go down.

I have a feeling it won't be well received on this forum, but I think it'd be a smart move.  I think the Bills would still have a really good roster and with the extra cap space (by not signing White) and the extra draft capital (two 1st round picks) would be a lot more valuable than just 1 CB in Tre White.

Edited by Estro
spelling
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I vote no... I want to build around guys like White, but you make a good point about McDermott's Defenses in relation to the Cornerback position.

Will be REALLY interesting to see how the secondary performs this year if Tre opts-out.  

I  would pass.  It is simple math as ~ 50% of draft picks turn into good starters.  So you may get 1 good starter with 2 first round picks.  To get an all pro at an important position even less probable. 

This would be a bad move and also impact the team with a major departure from the develop and sign philosophy.

• Like (+1) 1

Stefon Gilmore quit on this team and did not want to be here.  Not sure how much of that can be attributed to that fat gasbag Rex, but you do not want a disgruntled high profile player on your roster similar to how the Adams scenario played out.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Estro said:

Its always stuck with me that one of McDermotts first decisions with the Bills was to let Stephon Gilmorexwalk in FA.  As far as I understand the Bills didn't even extend an offer to Gilmore, and then they used their 1st tound pick that yr to srlect White.  I always thought that McDermott might be a coach who doesn't like to overpay at the CB position as his defenses seem yo perform well without having lock down CB's.

It would definitely hurt to lose a player of Whites caliber short term, but what if the Bills could return a bounty like the Jets got for Adams.  IMO, White is a more valuable player than Adams so I don't think a similar trade package is crazy.

Like I said White is a great player, but hes also going to command about $20M a yr. soon.......and I just don't think its good business to spend that type of money on any 1 player, outside of a good QB.  Id much rather have the $20M in cap space plus two 1st rounders, plus an avg. starting CB if a trade were to go down.

I have a feeling it won't be well received on this forum, but I think it'd be a smart move.  I think the Bills would still have a really good roster and with the extra cap space (by not signing White) and the extra draft capital (two 1st round picks) would be a lot more valuable than just 1 CB in Tre White.

If the Bills were looking at a rebuild then this could be a good idea. Their window to win is open now. White is one of the best shutdown corners in the league. Beane will have to figure out the money/salary cap but I want to see them win a Super Bowl in the next few years and players like White help you do that.

Joe Douglas is doing the right thing for the Jets as they are rebuilding. The Jets having 4 1st Rd picks in the next 2 years is a very good situation to be in since they aren't in a win now mode right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would hate it except in the event of one situation.  There is a reason Belichick paid large for Gilmore - an elite CB is worth the money.  Not all positions or players are, but CB Tre White is.  Save money almost anywhere else, but not there, QB or pass rusher.  

The one hypothetical situation I’d pull the trigger on would be if Allen were to bust and we were to trade Tre to get a franchise QB or elite QB prospect.  We aren’t in that position, but getting your QB is the only reason to trade a young, elite CB. 

• Like (+1) 4

Estro, NOOOO!

Not being critical, just he is one of the absolute best CB’s in the league, and just because he wants to maybe opt out, or as Mark Dominik said this morning may be negotiating for an extension now, I don’t think so.  He is ours is he plays for the next two years and longer if we tag him.  He’ll either play and probably get his big payday in the Spring of 2021, or of he doesn’t in the Spring of 2022, or 2023 if his demands are silly.  He’s given no reason to think he’s going scorched earth like Adams, and Adams wanted out no matter what.  Why?  The Jets are a dumpster fire and we are not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Estro, NOOOO!

Not being critical, just he is one of the absolute best CB’s in the league, and just because he wants to maybe opt out, or as Mark Dominik said this morning may be negotiating for an extension now, I don’t think so.  He is ours is he plays for the next two years and longer if we tag him.  He’ll either play and probably get his big payday in the Spring of 2021, or of he doesn’t in the Spring of 2022, or 2023 if his demands are silly.  He’s given no reason to think he’s going scorched earth like Adams, and Adams wanted out no matter what.  Why?  The Jets are a dumpster fire and we are not.

Agree - being the Jets is not a good strategy.  The Bills are on a path with a proven strategy - why deviate?

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Estro, NOOOO!

I think his point about McDermott and how he runs his defense is valid though.  I agree with you 100%, but McDermott has always had top defenses and he doesn't really pay for corners - he typically relies on coaching them up and scheme. 

Edited by SCBills

we can't keep turning and churning these high performing draft picks.  At some point, we have to start giving 2nd contracts.  And it sends entirely the wrong message to the culture that McBeane are trying to build to ship a guy off just because he's not comfortable with playing this year.  Shouldn't be any more complicated than that

No.

Keep your best players at the key positions like QB, WR, OT, pass rusher, and CB.

Let the other guys walk.

What the Jets did with Adams was 100% right; the Seahawks are absolutely nuts to trade that much for a position that teams are able to fill 90% as well with street FAs and late round picks.

• Like (+1) 1

Maybe SC, I think he and Beane build their defenses from the back forward which I agree as it holds passing teams to a minimum, and presses on the rush defense.  White is almost indispensable. He makes our defense work well.  He takes out for the most part the opposing top WR.  I agree with some of analysts that top defenses now are built best back moving forward vs. conventional thinking of the front four.  We have a good defensive line, but we are excellent because of those safeties and Tre.  In no world, is it a good idea to lose arguably the #1 or #2 (for those that think it’s Gilmore) CB in the entire NFL.  No amt. of draft picks is worth it.  I read what Barley said, about moving from Allen, but I don’t think we are anywhere close to there.