Interesting NFL Schedule Alternative

On the SI website, a proposal was made for an 8 game schedule.  In short, the NFL would alternate conference playing every other week.  At the end, 8 teams in each conference make the playoffs.

Not sure 2 weeks between games solves the COVID issues but better than no football. Zero chance of this happening IMO.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/08/06/proposing-a-radical-new-2020-nfl-schedule-that-works

That would leave half the TV money on the table.  Greedy owners will never allow that and the players know that if they do not play a full season, it will impact the salary cap for years to come.

Look how desperately MLB and Manfred are to trying continue their season with crippling outbreaks on multiple teams.  They are going to have to stitch together the Cardinals season like they are putting together the sports equivalent of Frankenstein.

• Like (+1) 1

An 8 game season just doesn't feel like it would give teams long enough to get sorted out. You'd probably have some crazy tie-breakers coming into effect as well because it's sure to be jumbled imo. It's a thought, but I don't think it's really plausible. 

Just now, H2o said:

An 8 game season just doesn't feel like it would give teams long enough to get sorted out. You'd probably have some crazy tie-breakers coming into effect as well because it's sure to be jumbled imo. It's a thought, but I don't think it's really plausible. 

Yeah, but 2020 is simply a crazy jumbled non-plausible mess already. Throw all the stuff into the pot, simmer, and let's see how it tastes. Just give me my damn football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I like it. I think the players would like it too. Not only reduces chances of catching covid, but also more time to deal with any positives (maybe even OK to come back within the 2 weeks, worst case only miss 1 game), AND let's their bodies heal in 2 weeks (vs the usual 16 week grind). And as fans, at least we get games every weekend. I could live with this if it means they are able to play the whole season this way.

Very plausible and a responsible response to the pandemic.  I think the NFL has until the end of the month to figure this thing out and if things don't get any better, I believe this type of scenario is certainly on the table.  

I had another idea:

• Create 4, 8 team divisions:
    • AFC Northeast: Buffalo, Miami, NE, Jets, Steelers, Browns, Ravens and Bengals
    • AFC Southwest: Indy, Texans, Jags, Titans, KC, Vegas, Chargers, Denver
    • NFC Northeast: Dallas, Giants, Eagles Washington, Packers, Bears, Lions, Vikings
    • NFC Southwest: Rams, SF, Cardinals, Seattle, Falcons, Saints, Panthers, Bucs
  • Play a 14 game schedule where you play every team in your division twice
  • Each division would play Sunday games at 1, 4:30 and 8 pm and one on Monday night
  • You would have a modified bubble: teams would practice during the week at home and then each division would have a game site that all 8 teams travel to on the weekend. 
  • Top 4 teams in each division make the playoffs (expand by 1)
    • No byes
    • In AFC, #1 in NW division plays #4 in SW division, #2 in NW plays #3 in SW, #3 in NW plays #2 in SW and #4 in NW plays #1 in SW division, ditto for NFC
    • After round 1, re-seed
  • By playing 14 games schedule and having a bye week in the original 17 game schedule, you have 3 built in weeks in case something goes awry or they want to start the season a week later.  And since they are playing only in division, one division could have something go wrong and shut down for a week while the other 3 divisions play. If all goes without a hitch, then they can use those weeks for scheduled byes or have a week off before the playoffs.

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

I had another idea:

• NFC Northeast: Dallas, Giants, Eagles Washington, Packers, Bears, Lions, Vikings
  • Each division would play Sunday games at 1, 4:30 and 8 pm and one on Monday night
  • You would have a modified bubble: teams would practice during the week at home and then each division would have a game site that all 8 teams travel to on the weekend. 
    • No byes
    • In AFC, #1 in NW division plays #4 in SW division, #2 in NW plays #3 in SW, #3 in NW plays #2 in SW and #4 in NW plays #1 in SW division, ditto for NFC
    • After round 1, re-seed
  • By playing 14 games schedule and having a bye week in the original 17 game schedule, you have 3 built in weeks in case something goes awry or they want to start the season a week later.  And since they are playing only in division, one division could have something go wrong and shut down for a week while the other 3 divisions play. If all goes without a hitch, then they can use those weeks for scheduled byes or have a week off before the playoffs.

Not a chance in hell it would happen but I like the premise of it.  Gonna be interesting thats for sure.  A bubble would certainly help too.....

Just now, mattynh said:

The NFL will take every revenue dollar they can generate....no way they just give up half the games...sure an eventuality is possible that the season gets killed.  

Two things,

If they stagger the season/teams playing, half the games one week, other half the next, they will get a full tv schedule of 5 games; thursday, 3 on sunday and monday.

Most. if not all the tv money goes to players salaries.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, mabden said:

Two things,

If they stagger the season/teams playing, half the games one week, other half the next, they will get a full tv schedule of 5 games; thursday, 3 on sunday and monday.

Most. if not all the tv money goes to players salaries.

I understood the concept.  I get it network tv would have something each week.    But there would be lost revenue.   Not all weeks will have the best matchups.   Also  the whole concept is just that , a concept.   You still gave the possibility of outbreaks canceling games.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mc1320 said:

That would leave half the TV money on the table.  Greedy owners will never allow that and the players know that if they do not play a full season, it will impact the salary cap for years to come.

Look how desperately MLB and Manfred are to trying continue their season with crippling outbreaks on multiple teams.  They are going to have to stitch together the Cardinals season like they are putting together the sports equivalent of Frankenstein.

You could have half teams playing one week and the other playing the next week, maybe by conference and your team plays only the teams in your conference or splitting the conferences in two .  It gives the owners their 16 week tv schedule

• Like (+1) 1

I am a let them play, but if they opt out God bless them guy as far as games go.

However, that said, I am not against a number of these shortened season plans coming out.

Do I want them to play the whole season?  Yes.  Is it going to happen?  Maybe not.  Am I thrilled with a partial season?  No.  Would I be happy if they get a "season" in some how, though?  Yes.  Would I still cheer on the Bills?  Of course.  Why am I talking to myself like this?  I don't know.  Should I probably end it here?  You bet.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Only half serious, and I am sure this is full of flaws (being too late being one of them):

How about using NY State (where the virus seems contained) as the NFL bubble? .Work the Meadowlands into the parameter.  You would have the Rich Stadium, Giant Stadium, Carrier Dome, UB, West Point, Ithica... maybe two others. You could have games Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday.... players may not balk as much at having an entire state to bubble in. I realize, not all of these facilities would have the best playing surfaces, but with all the money they have, couldn't the NFL make it work? If Lumpy is right, and the virus "just disappears" before election day, maybe you can work another state into the rotation for the late season and playoffs?

I just want football to happen this year!

3 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

I had another idea:

• No byes
    • After round 1, re-seed

You have a major flaw in this proposal.  That is this:

You would have a modified bubble: teams would practice during the week at home and then each division would have a game site that all 8 teams travel to on the weekend. 

You cant have a "bubble" if teams are going in and out of it.  The NBA bubble works because no one is allowed to leave or come without doing a quarantine first.  So if the teams are traveling to and from the bubble every weekend, then its not a bubble and its not a safe contained space rendering it a futile process.