2020 Josh Allen scouting report

In this slow time of year, I thought I would re-watch all of Allens plays and do an updated scouting report

Josh Allen

6'5 240 

Summary

Josh Allen is a gamer. Like a boxer who loves to get hit..  When he gets hit he doesn't fold, it awakens him.. and you could tell he loves the feeling of a dogfight

He's the kind of man every person wants in their corner

Strengths

- Once in a generation arm strength

- Quick Release

- elite improviser in the pocket

- can turn into running back

- can hit any spot on the field

- becoming elite on intermediate throws

- elite velocity for tight windows

- command of the line of scrimmage

- great cadence

- pre play skills vastly improving

- Can carve up zone defense when In rhythm

- knows when to take a shot

- improving pump fake

- read option threat

- short game vastly improved

-Red zone highly improved

-big chip on shoulder

Weakness

- takes unnecessary sacks

- can occasionally lose single high safety

- must take less hits

- too much juice on deep ball

- loses situational awareness occasionally

- needs better ball security

- can take check down more

- internal clock needs to improve

- struggles vs tight man

-feet placement in drops are inconsistent

BOTTOM LINE

JOSH ALLEN is a young, huge, highly gifted QB , who is primed for a breakout season. His arm strength, athletic gifts, quick release , and ability to beat zone defense are all reasons why this young signal-caller is on the up-and-up

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

Nothing about occasional breakdowns in footwork or arm angle? Otherwise I suppose it’s fair. Nothing I haven’t read on innumerable other sites but good job.

I honestly didn't write many notes rewatching the games. I just typed this out when I had some time

His upper-body throwing motion is super crisp. He changes his arm angle when he has  to get it over players or around them

His lower body mechanics were definitely improved from last year, but still super inconsistent. His foot placement and width still need a lot of work 

I just forgot to add that to the weaknesses cuz like I said I typed this all out off my head. 

51 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I honestly didn't write many notes rewatching the games. I just typed this out when I had some time

His upper-body throwing motion is super crisp. He changes his arm angle when he has  to get it over players or around them

His lower body mechanics were definitely improved from last year, but still super inconsistent. His foot placement and width still need a lot of work 

I just forgot to add that to the weaknesses cuz like I said I typed this all out off my head. 

Hey you’re the football guy, you waste no opportunity to remind us of that. Just surprised you didn’t notice those two obvious things. Seems like you just took 2 minutes and made a bullet list of obvious points. 

he closes his stance on certain throws which drops his arm angle. You’re a scout, watch the tape.

49 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I would add 99.94785742890438254% success rate on 1 yd or less.  In other words, close to as automatic as there is in short yardage sneaks.

Tom Bradyish numbers right there on the 1 yard sneaks

42 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Hey you’re the football guy, you waste no opportunity to remind us of that. Just surprised you didn’t notice those two obvious things. Seems like you just took 2 minutes and made a bullet list of obvious points. 

he closes his stance on certain throws which drops his arm angle. You’re a scout, watch the tape.

Tom Bradyish numbers right there on the 1 yard sneaks

his closed stance which is poor lower body mechanics/ footwork effects the arm angle. I wouldn't say it's an upper-body mechanical error but a lower-body flaw which effects his motion

And there's a lot of people on this board who admittedly can't even tell the difference between man or zone coverage. They like the bills it doesn't mean they know anything about x's and o's

There's honestly not a lot of updated Josh Allen scouting reports on the net, and probably not many if any that has more info than mine

And I wrote it up for the board which has varying degrees of knowledge to talk some ball

I do have some semi recent threads on the complexity of McDermott's scheme system and play calling which are much more complex

Go bills!

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

his closed stance which is poor lower body mechanics/ footwork effects the arm angle. I wouldn't say it's an upper-body mechanical error but a lower-body flaw which effects his motion

And there's a lot of people on this board who admittedly can't even tell the difference between man or zone coverage. They like the bills it doesn't mean they know anything about x's and o's

There's honestly not a lot of updated Josh Allen scouting reports on the net, and probably not many if any that has more info than mine

And I wrote it up for the board which has varying degrees of knowledge to talk some ball

I do have some semi recent threads on the complexity of McDermott's scheme system and play calling which are much more complex

Go bills!

that’s exactly what I said

• Like (+1) 1

He played well in the RZ and 4th quarter without throwing a pick in those situations.  He was a strong road performer as well. 

I think that, collectively, it's a good sign.  That can be a sterile stats thing but that can also be a scouting observation.  It can be a result of how he is wired as a competitor.

10 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

He played well in the RZ and 4th quarter without throwing a pick in those situations.  He was a strong road performer as well. 

I think that, collectively, it's a good sign.  That can be a sterile stats thing but that can also be a scouting observation.  It can be a result of how he is wired as a competitor.

I think I mentioned his red zone in his strengths. I know he was extremely efficient I just didn't throw stats out

He absolutely is a monster threat in the red zone

Edited by Buffalo716

My biggest worry about him long term honestly is his deep ball, which is weird to say considering his arm strength. But he rifles the ball too much even on the deep ball when he needs more of a rainbow.

Russell Wilson might be the best deep ball thrower I've ever seen and it's always a rainbow and never on a rope.

That said, I can't wait to see Allen this year. I think he'll be a little smarter with the unnecessary hits. But at the same time, I feel good about when he gets hit because of his body type.

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

My biggest worry about him long term honestly is his deep ball, which is weird to say considering his arm strength. But he rifles the ball too much even on the deep ball when he needs more of a rainbow.

Russell Wilson might be the best deep ball thrower I've ever seen and it's always a rainbow and never on a rope.

That said, I can't wait to see Allen this year. I think he'll be a little smarter with the unnecessary hits. But at the same time, I feel good about when he gets hit because of his body type.

It honestly doesn't surprise me at all, especially being younger still

He has a howitzer, but he doesn't know how to dial in the distance yet. When you have good arm strength but nothing crazy, it's a lot easier to reign in that deep ball

Russell Wilson is probably the perfect example who has very good arm strength but nothing otherworldly.. he doesn't have to dial in a howitzer, so he just naturally has some better touch

Josh is still learning how to reign in that overwhelming arm strength

• Like (+1) 1