Stefon Diggs contract has been “tweaked”

How anyone can question Beane is beyond me. The move with Long had purpose, this move has purpose. Beane knows he is going to have to rework Diggs deal in two years, so who cares if he moves money forward on it? Beane shows constantly why he gets paid big money to run the Bills and none of us do. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

This makes a lot of sense - with all the uncertainty of how the salary cap will be impacted as the financial hit from COVID-19 is expected to be spread over the next few seasons. Trying to set up for Salary Cap flexibility moving forward seems wise -- we finally seem to have a Front Office that is getting out in front of things, rather than being far behind everyone else. Portends well for the franchise for the future.

I see a lot of people make the same mistake Garofolo did there.  Moving a little money forward in Diggs’ deal was doing him a solid. That’s all fine.  But it doesn’t help the team at all.  That’s because of carryover.  $3M spent now or $3M carried over for two seasons and then spent is little different.

In normal times moving cap hits to future years does have a benefit because the cap usually increases so the team gets a bit of a discount percentage wise.  As for Diggs’ deal I suspect that he got a bunch of his 2020 salary as a signing bonus.  That will actually create more cap space this season and next.  

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'd pump the brakes a little. He overpaid for Star and Murphy.  Signed an over the hill Gore and signed a DB that quit at halftime. 

Evaluate each move on its own. This is a good move. It puts more money in Diggs' pocket now hopefully avoiding a contract squabble later. Its a good gesture to hopefully avoid future headaches. 

I didn't mean to imply that I thought Beane was perfect. There's been misses here and there, although I can't agree with 3 of your 4 examples. Star and Trent may have been paid handsomely, but they've been starters/contributors on a Top 3 defense since they've been here. Gore was signed primarily as a locker room leader, and the ultimate mentor for a stud rookie RB. Over-using him in the 2nd half of last season was due to the inexplicably ultra-conservative philosophy and play-calling by the HC and OC. And Vontae Davis...well, you got me there. Somebody should have seen that he was a petulant child at some point before the Big Bail.

Anyway, Beane's hit to miss ratio when it comes to finding the right players in FA and the draft has to be in the neighborhood of 10:1. And his overall cap management is among the effective in the league. I'll take the bad with the good with this guy, because there ain't a whole lot of the former.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

I didn't mean to imply that I thought Beane was perfect. There's been misses here and there, although I can't agree with 3 of your 4 examples. Star and Trent may have been paid handsomely, but they've been starters/contributors on a Top 3 defense since they've been here. Gore was signed primarily as a locker room leader, and the ultimate mentor for a stud rookie RB. Over-using him in the 2nd half of last season was due to the inexplicably ultra-conservative philosophy and play-calling by the HC and OC. And Vontae Davis...well, you got me there. Somebody should have seen that he was a petulant child at some point before the Big Bail.

Anyway, Beane's hit to miss ratio when it comes to finding the right players in FA and the draft has to be in the neighborhood of 10:1. And his overall cap management is among the effective in the league. I'll take the bad with the good with this guy, because there ain't a whole lot of the former.

Also for what it's worth, even the players seemed shocked about "Uncle Vontae". Remember Shady and Tre talking about him LOL. "Its a young man's game" LOL

It looked bad on the Bills, but they shouldnt be blamed for it, they've had a lot more that a boys then oh craps

Just doing the math, if they don’t tear up and redo his contract in two years, it basically is $120 k raise, and just pushed moving $ forward.  I think it’s a good decision, and Diggs will be happy, we use our $ while we have it and preemptively handles the expected loss in cap space Next year.

Beane is shrewd.  I really hope we do extend Beane and McD as soon as we can afford it as they are great for this team and city.

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

meh. They could’ve rolled it over and had more flexibility than accelerating pay and ramping up guarantees.

they wanted to earn Goodwill with a moody player that will without question be on the roster the next few years. 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

meh. They could’ve rolled it over and had more flexibility than accelerating pay and ramping up guarantees.

they wanted to earn Goodwill with a moody player that will without question be on the roster the next few years. 

I mean they decided on this deal before the year went and folded in on itself.

19 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I see a lot of people make the same mistake Garofolo did there.  Moving a little money forward in Diggs’ deal was doing him a solid. That’s all fine.  But it doesn’t help the team at all.  That’s because of carryover.  $3M spent now or $3M carried over for two seasons and then spent is little different.

In normal times moving cap hits to future years does have a benefit because the cap usually increases so the team gets a bit of a discount percentage wise.  As for Diggs’ deal I suspect that he got a bunch of his 2020 salary as a signing bonus.  That will actually create more cap space this season and next.  

agreed across the board. This is purely getting some love from a guy that left his last job unhappy. He’s trying to start on the right foot without actually giving much up.

Just now, Warcodered said:

I mean they decided on this deal before the year went and folded in on itself.

which makes no difference to the point I made. 

the deal made us less flexible not more and benefited almost exclusively diggs. Our upside is the dude likes buffalo out of the gate. Our cost is almost nothing though because we weren’t shipping him out any time soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/5/2020 at 12:53 PM, YoloinOhio said:

This is what being a great GM looks like.  I have been saying and will keep saying it...Beene is without question one of the top GM's in the NFL, and once the Bills put some playoff wins on their record, there will be no way to deny that anymore. 

His ability to manage the cap, keep players happy, manage contracts, find talent, pull the trigger when he sees fit on moves, get value from our scrap heap in trades, etc etc is as good as anyones in the league.  

On 8/5/2020 at 9:34 PM, Chandler#81 said:

What? WHAAAT?!?

That was pretty much how I reacted only with more inappropriate self touching. 

I just watched his presser. He is such a perfect personality fit for this team. He "loves the process" says "every year is a new year" and he "loves the grind". 

If he needs someone to grind against then I am available any time. 

• Haha (+1) 1