Tre White decides not to opt out, everyone is beside themselves with excitement because we're all in need of any small nugget of good news these days. Who wants a drink?

Logic

7 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I don't think you are understanding disease transmission and how it differs from one to the next.  Did you really bring up HIV? 

I'm very much aware of the current theories on how Covid 19 is transmitted.  I've  actually been tested twice!  Both times were negative. These well paid NFL players need to take certain precautions in their professional and personal lives during the season....just like Police, Fireman, and Grocery Store clerks have been doing for months on end.

PS: You don't recall the issue with players blood on jerseys during the HIV epidemic?

Edited by SoCal Deek

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The same reason you test drive a car I guess.  Get a feel for what safeguards will be in place and then make a decision.

Risk exposure to find out if you’re going to get exposed?

I don’t begrudge anyone their right to opt, but that seems silly to go and expose yourself to hundreds of potential carriers and then decide you don’t want to be exposed. 

I also think (while completely respecting his right and wisdom to choose for his family) that the “young kids at home” reasoning is questionable just because they’re such a limited at risk demo (unless there are other factors, which could be the case here)

2 hours ago, brianthomas said:

Yeah because a season where teams are facing even more adversity would somehow be easier to persevere over? Na this sentiment is nonsense to me.

If there is any asterisk to this years champion, it should be noted that it was more difficult for a team to win this year, not easier.

Whatever team wins the Superbowl, they should be proud that they withstood all the challenges this season appears to have & rose above everyone else to be #1.

No reason to have the glass is empty attitude on this one imo.

THIS!!!^^^^^^^

The owners, front office, coaches, players and fans of the Super Bowl winning team should get the "Intestinal Fortitude" Award!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Then just opt out.

The more I've thought of this today the more hopeful I've been he just wanted to say a few things in his own way about all this.  

Tre is a methodical guy. Everything we know about the way he prepares for games tells you that. Coming in to see the facility to get the full picture before taking a decision.... that strikes me as very Tre. 

I hope he plays, but I totally understand how hard this is for him and my instinct is he will opt out. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Not sure what you mean.  If Tre is so worried about his family contracting the disease, he should be following strict lockdown whether he is playing or not.

At least with him playing, he and his family will be able to get tested regularly unlike the general public.

Lockdown and play = get tested regularly

Lockdown and not play = not get tested regularly

N.      F.         L.        Lockdown is different.  Look it up. Not sure how I can be more clear. Regulations on top of the stupid state mandates restrict their movement. Cant go to a bar. Cant go to a resturant. Cant go to Church. Not sure what their families regulations are like but this is your employer regulations on top of state regulations. Perhaps his life with his family is important to him. Time will tell....like less then 24 hours of time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I don’t begrudge anyone their right to opt, but that seems silly to go and expose yourself to hundreds of potential carriers and then decide you don’t want to be exposed. 

I also think (while completely respecting his right and wisdom to choose for his family) that the “young kids at home” reasoning is questionable just because they’re such a limited at risk demo (unless there are other factors, which could be the case here)

It is because he has two choices. Leave his family in Louisiana and don't see them for 5 months or bringing his family to Buffalo but then require them to live an even more restricted version of life than most Americans are dealing with now to limit the risk of them exposing him and then him spreading to the team. McDermott and Beane both talked about it the other day. They have had families on the zoom calls explaining to them how it will affect them. If a player brings his family up to Buffalo with him he is basically forcing them into the sort of full lockdown scenario people were in during March and April. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

There's a lot of misinformation out there too and I don't even know if he knows that kids are pretty much immune from this virus.  Going to the practice facility is a lot different than playing actual football and traveling to other cities.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

Tre's wife is a nurse, RN, if I recall correctly, though I don't know if she's working.

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

There's a lot of misinformation out there too and I don't even know if he knows that kids are pretty much immune from this virus.  Going to the practice facility is a lot different than playing actual football and traveling to other cities.

What do you mean by saying "kids are pretty much immune from this virus?"

Kids get infected, including small kids.  They spread it to other people.   That's not what is usually meant by saying "pretty much immune"

Most of them appear to get a mild viral illness and recover.  A small percentage get MIS-C which is very serious.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Tre's wife is a nurse, RN, if I recall correctly, though I don't know if she's working.

Presumably if she came up to Buffalo with him she couldn't given the risk of her being exposed then exposing him and Tre in turn exposing the team. That would seem to breach what the Bills are trying to put in place. 

4 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

So he wants a new deal? I don’t completely disagree with that. 

The thing about this season, now especially with covid cases , opt outs, and this new false positive issue is even if you do well it will instantly comes with a built in asterisk. 

Im not saying we’d win a championship but even if we did it would feel like a pretty greasy first championship. 

Not at all, every team has the same concerns, and the same chances. If an asterisk would be real for us then the Patriots have an Asterisk for each their highly questionable shenanigans. Can’t have it both ways. 

Go Bills!!!

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Kids are not immune from the virus. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Tre is seriously up there as our best player....please dont post that unless you have proof of it

Agreed.

something of this nature should not be posted unless there is a source to go with it.  It might be true, but shouldn't be here posted as a fact without a source.

• Like (+1) 2

Maybe I’m being a hopeless optimist, but I heard him talking today about it, and almost got the feeling when said something like he wanted to see how everything was set up and going to be run that maybe he was a bit more comfortable but wanted to discuss w his wife. Totally understandable if he does opt out as much as it will sting being a fan. But have all the respect in the world for these guys and the sometimes agonizing decision they have to make. Hope he plays but if not I support and respect his choice to not fully!! 
Plus as a side note, if he opts out he is pushing his free agency riches down the road an extra year and with the cap uncertainty upcoming, may actually be beneficial to the Bills money wise long term. JMO. 

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What do you mean by saying "kids are pretty much immune from this virus?"

Kids get infected, including small kids.  They spread it to other people.   That's not what is usually meant by saying "pretty much immune"

Most of them appear to get a mild viral illness and recover.  A small percentage get MIS-C which is very serious.

Bad use of words.  The studies I've seen show that kids are 1/3 to 1/2 less likely than adults to catch the virus and far less likely than that to infect somebody with it.  From what we know at this point the death rate of Covid for children who catch the virus is extremely low.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2