Tre White decides not to opt out, everyone is beside themselves with excitement because we're all in need of any small nugget of good news these days. Who wants a drink?

Logic

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Really bad take.  I kind of think the embarrassed one should be you, actually.

I haven't seen anyone want to ignore the loss of his girlfriend's grandpa.  ? Condolences to Ikea and Tre.

On the other hand, people had reasonable points - the risk to anyone in Tre's family is fairly low even if he does contract covid (attack rate of 7% in his age group, big study); the risk of harm to his kids is low should they catch covid-19 (0.0074%, CDC data as of June 13).  Unless he and his lady become total hermits and never go anywhere, he and his girlfriend have a risk of catching covid-19 if he doesn't play.  Being in a situation where he's tested every day and his girlfriend or any other family members can be tested may be lower risk to his family. 

There's legit question how much choosing not to play would really protect his family.  I think Tre' is a very intelligent guy and his wife has a medical education and I believe they probably sat down and reasoned through it.

I think Tre' is one of the best, if not the best, player on the Bills.  I know my heart was in my throat when it looked like he was injured early in the Steelers game.  So if there is going to be football, yeah, it was very disappointing to think he might opt out, although of course it's his right.

Frankly, and I don't GAS if I catch flack for this, if I could wave a wand and make all the pro athletes go home and repurpose all their rapid turn around tests to be used on caregivers of elders, I would do it in a heartbeat (I'd repurpose the tests from some other places too).  Give me logistical command and I'll figure it out - testing pools, surveillance frequency, the works.  My heart is breaking that it's all talk and very little concrete action to "protect the most vulnerable". 

But no one's giving me the damned wand, so if we're going to have pro sports and especially football, I want it to be the best football we can get.

Alright oh Great and Mighty Hapless...why don't you be the one to make that decision for Tre and put your family at risk....oh wait you can't because you're not an NFL player. And don't act like there weren't Bills fans freaking out today that he might not play. Tre didn't need your approval to activate his decision. And as far as alot of your other "not so" astute observations I don't GAS......

7 hours ago, Rubes said:

Knowing us, we'll probably slice through the league schedule like butter all the way until January, looking like the favorites for the title...and then they'll cancel the rest of the season due to a massive COVID outbreak right before the playoffs start.

Well, I guess that's a real because Buffalo right there.

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Alright oh Great and Mighty Hapless...why don't you be the one to make that decision for Tre and put your family at risk....oh wait you can't because you're not an NFL player. And don't act like there weren't Bills fans freaking out today that he might not play. Tre didn't need your approval to activate his decision. And as far as alot of your other "not so" astute observations I don't GAS......

I’ve had my spats with Hap, but Hap is one of the most (if not the most) informed posters on this forum. Especially when it comes to COVID issues. Rarely will Hap give an opinion unless it’s very reasonable and backed by facts. Those facts are usually even cited. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/5/2020 at 12:05 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He was my biggest worry. Bright side is if he opts out we basically have him cheap an extra year.

Bright side is if he had opted out, he would have done his part to keep his family healthy. Smh

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

LOL.  Of course fans were freaking out.  I was freaking out.  Of course none of us can make that decision whether to play or not.

You said ”So embarrassing...fans whining like little girls because he might choose to not play and protect his family. How dare he jeopardize our selfish lust for football. Just ignore the fact his girlfriend's grandfather died of covid. This is where we're at in 2020.”

No one is ignoring the death of grandfather.  But logically, the fact that an elder dies does not change the objective risk to a 20 yr old.  Neither does worrying about it (which Tre has a right to do) change the objective risk to young children.  I’m done now.

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats a really terrible take on this situation 

At the end of the day, he didn't opt out.  Now everyone is saying, "what a great guy - loves football - etc."  People are talking about him and in a positive light.  It's great for his branding.  I see right through it.

30 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

It probably won't matter come contract time, but Tre got a taste of what Bills fans are really like.

Tell me all about what Bills fans are like. Are you using a fringe set of fans who tweeted him to represent the entire fan base? 

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Tre being here means that if the season happens we are in the running as an outsider to make the Superbowl. I have never felt that about a Bills team before in my fandom.

I truly and honestly believe that this team really could win the Super Bowl this year.

It would be the most Billsy thing ever—win the whole enchilada when fans can’t attend and in a year when everyone can “yeah but” your victory.

And guess what: I won’t mind at all. Count it.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I truly and honestly believe that this team really could win the Super Bowl this year.

It would be the most Billsy thing ever—win the whole enchilada when fans can’t attend and in a year when everyone can “yeah but” your victory.

I think we have a shot. We are not among the top 4 or 5 favourites but we are there with a shot. And I would not give two hoots about the fact it was an unusual year. Count it? I'd do more than count it. I'd be drunk for a month. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think we have a shot. We are not among the top 4 or 5 favourites but we are there with a shot. And I would not give two hoots about the fact it was an unusual year. Count it? I'd do more than count it. I'd be drunk for a month. 

As I’ve always said: I don’t care if we win because the other 31 teams have to forfeit the season due to botulism; bring me the Lombardi.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I never get the people who say a win does not count because the second string TE was out for the game.  A win is a win as they are all playing by the same rules.

Same goes for the only because Baltimore blew it crowd - Bills made the playoffs based on the rules set forth.  It was not given to them, they did not back into the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Whichever team wins the chip this season should get all the props.  This will be be a challenging season and navigating it will take some doing.