Tre White decides not to opt out, everyone is beside themselves with excitement because we're all in need of any small nugget of good news these days. Who wants a drink?

Logic

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This party?

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2020/08/04/woman-killed-gunfire-beverly-crest-large-party-2-more-wounded/

"Kennie D. Leggett, who identified himself to CBSLA as the head of security for the party, alleged it was being thrown to celebrate a player recently getting drafted to an NFL team, but did not clarify the name of the player or which team he was drafted to."

That was the recent one I was referring too.  There have been many, the thing that is being done now is renting AIRBNBs for these parties I know of about 6 (have been told about them from friends in Cali and Vegas.)  This one got the news cycle because of the shooting.

17 minutes ago, Jamie Nails said:

I still feel like the longer this drags out, the more likely he plays. I truly wouldn’t be surprised to hear that the Bills are talking contract. Hope my gut is right

I wonder how it goes if he starts talking about opting and Beane calls him up about contract stuff.... is that something the NFLPA would frown at?

It was ill advised how he threw this out there. If he wants/wanted to opt out, then he should’ve done it. What does he have to gain from putting this out there? Hopefully he was respectful to inform the bills brass of his indecision. Otherwise, Idc for how he has handled this, and I’ll forget anything happened if he decides to play. Not a good look regardless. 

27 minutes ago, Billl said:

I mean, you’re right but I don’t see what that has to do with my posts.  Being a professional athlete means that loud mouths on message boards are going to spout off stupid opinions about how “entitled” a grown man is because he dares make his own decision about what’s best for him and his family.  That doesn’t mean that those stupid opinions should themselves be exempt from criticism.

Tre is wildly successful in life by every possible definition despite being born into poverty.  He’s a multimillionaire.  He’s a great player.  He’s seemingly well liked by coaches and teammates.  He’s a dedicated family man.  I can assure you that there isn’t a single person on this message board who knows more about what’s best for Tre White than Tre, his family, and his agent does.  Those who think he owes the fans anything other than his effort on the field are the very definition of “entitled”.

The heart of the issue would appear to be the possibility that Tre will not, in fact, put forth his effort on the field this fall (what even you agree he may "owe the fans").

What it has to do with your posts is speaking to your opinion that fans who are upset with a potential choice to "opt out" and who criticize it are "the very definition of entitled".  The point is, the same passionate fan feelings you term "entitled" are those which in aggregate, have enabled Tre and other ballers like him to be wildly successful and their reaction pertains to his effort on the field (or absence from it).  Tre' has a right to make the choices he feels are best for him and for his family.  Fans have a right to react to it - positively and negatively.

But at this point I think it's clear I've said all I can to try to explain, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I wonder how it goes if he starts talking about opting and Beane calls him up about contract stuff.... is that something the NFLPA would frown at?

I don’t think so. The reason the league wanted to move up the date was because players MAY look to leverage for contract purposes. Not saying this is Tre’s play, but I wouldn’t be surprised that a little extra monetary love or commitment would go along way. I was planning to leave my job for a new company last year. It wasn’t a play for money from the existing company, but they made a big financial commitment and I stayed. It’s human nature and he’s human. It may never come out, but there’s no doubt Beene would make that call if he felt it needed to keep him on the field this year. 

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I find myself in the same boat.   The problem I see with a lot of these guys is they were bred to be athletes.   They spend their entire high school careers playing football, going to college camps, where every little move is about trying to get a scholarship.   By the time they make it to the league they've never done anything but be an athlete.  The entitlement is out of control.  They think the league owes them something beyond their paycheck by just being there.   The truth is unless he becomes the top 1% of football players no one is going to think much about Tre White once he retires.  In truth I think he is a good player, but outside of football I could care less.   If Tre White opts out or goes to a new team, someone else will take his place.  No one is irreplaceable. 

3 hours ago, Billl said:

Nobody said anything about taking it personally.  He said he didn’t care about what people he doesn’t know say, yet here he is responding to comments by people he doesn’t know about a media session held by a person he doesn’t know.  Clearly he does care.  

This thread is filled with people who feel so entitled to be entertained by a 25 year old man whom they’ve never met that they criticize him for doing what he thinks is best for his health and the well being of his family.  It’s disgusting.  

14 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

You sure like to throw the term 'entitled' out there!  Let me guess, that's the "Privilege" y 'all be talkin about!

You seem to struggle with following a conversation.  My use of the word was in response to Tre being called “entitled” for having the audacity to make his own decision about what’s best for him and his family.

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Frown at?  Yeah.  Would Beane be breaking any rules?  No.  It's more likely if Beane contacts him it's to assure him of what safeguards will be in place.  I have a bad feeling he opts out as he seems freaked out by this virus.

• Like (+1) 1

Man, this is nerve wracking as some of those FA watch threads. 

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Frown at?  Yeah.  Would Beane be breaking any rules?  No.  It's more likely if Beane contacts him it's to assure him of what safeguards will be in place.  I have a bad feeling he opts out as he seems freaked out by this virus.

I think the GF/wife angle that others have mentioned seems to make the most sense to me. I struggle to believe that he would have even reported if he was personally very worried about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The heart of the issue would appear to be the possibility that Tre will not, in fact, put forth his effort on the field this fall (what even you agree he may "owe the fans").

You’re way too intelligent to miss a point this badly.  He has the right to opt out.  If he chooses to play, he owes his best effort on the field.  If he chooses not to play, he doesn’t owe fans a damned thing.  If he chooses to play and then jakes it, then he should be criticized.

Edited by Billl

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

who cares?

sounds snarky but honestly, why would anyone care if they frown? 

Tre really going to wait until minutes before the deadline to opt out??

The closer we get the more I think he was just looking for attention and is going to play. 

Maybe I'm being optimistic, though his tweet this morning certainly supports the need for attention theory.

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Tre really going to wait until minutes before the deadline to opt out??

The closer we get the more I think he was just looking for attention and is going to play. 

Maybe I'm being optimistic.

Its one or those things where he may have already done it, but neither he not the team have announced it. 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

who cares?

sounds snarky but honestly, why would anyone care if they frown? 

I don’t unless it leads to bad press. 

Don’t forget, in a lot of ways the guys who opt out are being held up as some form of hero or wise sacrificial lamb. So to have a player on the path to becoming that and then be “tempted to stay” by money and corporate greed could lead to some negative press. 

48 minutes ago, Rico said:

My take is that in anything involving the Buffalo Bills, the Buffalo Bills come first, and it’s not even close. If Tre opts out, that would be detrimental to the team, and I would not approve. That doesn’t mean I will bash him for it, but I sure as hell am not going to support that decision.

tumblr_pmkgbzpMEb1sobjdv_250.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He only has to submit it in writing to the team by 4. We may not even know today. If they don’t announce it, it won’t hit the wire until tomorrow I’m pretty sure.

Pretty sure it would leak to the national or beat reporters if he opts out. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He only has to submit it in writing to the team by 4. We may not even know today. If they don’t announce it, it won’t hit the wire until tomorrow I’m pretty sure.

It may take a bit to find out, but make no mistake about it, if Tre, or any other prominent players opt out before the deadline today, someone will have it.  Hard keeping this type of information quiet in this league, especially for 24 hours.