Tre White decides not to opt out, everyone is beside themselves with excitement because we're all in need of any small nugget of good news these days. Who wants a drink?

Logic

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He needs to do what’s best for him. Team wise it would be a huge loss. But his health and family comes first. 

This is worth repeating. People and families come before football. If he plays, great! If he has reservations for any reason, do what’s best for you and yours. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, if it’s strictly about child care, he could buy 100 nannies. 

I get not wanting to be away from your kids (though he wouldn’t even have to be) but to come out and play, earn them 20+ mil a year deal that’s waiting for him, and be able to ensure the financial freedom or his family forever, that’s hard to pass up even if it meant 5 months away from them. 

Not saying that’s what it is, but even at the most drastic measures that’s what we’re talking about.

And I get that he could theoretically get that money next year, but what happens if he opts out and then tears his ACL at the beginning of the 2021 season. Now he’s 27/28 with 2 years of tape missing. He’s not getting top 5 corner money at that point.

I heard an interview with Tre' where he indicated their families were against them hiring nannies.  They may see it as "having someone else raise your kids" - I know we got that viewpoint from one side of the family Big Time when our kid was born. 

It's also hard to commit to spending a lot of time with someone you just hire - what if they seem nice, but in practice they wear your last nerve?  That's why I suggested "keeping it in the family" either with other players or with someone in Tre's large extended family.  But sure, hiring someone for childcare and companionship for his wife is also something he could easily do.

I also agree with your point about the risk to his career value and earnings.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

They are taking a LOAN. So that falls on deaf ears. But they can’t work from home right seeing we are comparing. 

It’s not a loan, it’s an advance.

The point you’re pretending to miss is that almost no one who works would ever be offered the option of simply not showing up for a year and not only still have a job, but get fronted some of next year’s money to be comfy while they hang out not working. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well it isnt, But it VERY well could be a Career ender.  

Have you read what the survivors deal with, Heart and Lung issues, blood issues.

Though they likely would live through a COVID exposure and bout of it, their Career Might not. 

You're gonna have to show me proof of these issues with professional athlete's because I haven't heard about athletes losing careers over complications from COVID.

These guys play football, every snap they take could be career ender.

Using COVID as a possible career ender is really stretching it.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

The point you’re pretending to miss is that almost no one who works would ever be offered the option of simply not showing up for a year and not only still have a job, but get fronted some of next year’s money to be comfy while they hang out not working. 

What's your point with this repeated nonsense?

Breaking news, those that generate millions are afforded extra privilege.  Shocking stuff.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If the Average Joe weren't passionate (and thus both laudatory and critical) about football, football would still be like American rugby - an amateur endeavor played for love- or soccer, or volleyball ....something that passionate players can earn a bit of money pursuing, but not even as much as a typical college grad.  Tre' wants the effect (the generational wealth) without necessarily embracing the cause (the very passionate fans, some of whom feel "entitled" to comment on his choices).

It’s great to be passionate about football.  It would be wildly hypocritical of me to suggest otherwise.  What’s not great is pretending that Tre White, a grown man who is a father and millionaire needs life advice Joe from Depew, a used car salesman who spends his spare time doing belly flops through folding tables and posting on football message boards.

Tre needs Joe Sixpack’s career advice about as much as Josh Allen needs me to coach him on how to score with the ladies.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You are right, and those people should take that up with their employer and/or elected officials. Not Tre or other players who do have the option. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep Point remains.  If players side eye him for a decision that opts him out they also need to re-valuate the way they look at people.  And that entire family Mantra they all speak about is lip service

I mostly agree.  Where this gets tough is with how wildly different people view this virus.  

I own a business and for damn sure am in the office during all this if my employees are here.  Lead by example is the strongest form of leadership, IMO.   

I understand the parallel between being a business owner and a player within an organization isn’t the most apt comparison, but as a leader (which Tre is) I do see some cross over.   

Again, if he’s high risk, has family that’s high risk... totally get it and would never question.   For his reasons, I also get it, but I can’t lie and say my view of him in that locker room doesn’t fade just a tiny bit.  I’d support him, Id welcome him back with open arms and I would never criticize, but deep down, if I’m on the team and he comes back in a leadership role.... it’s going to take me a minute to accept that. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Loan or advance call it what you want.  It gets PAID BACK.

The point is I DONT CARE.  If you want the ability to opt our of your job for a year, train your ass off become a Professional Athlete.  but comparing this industry to your 9 to 5 is comparing apples to freaking MARS.

5 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

You're gonna have to show me proof of these issues with professional athlete's because I haven't heard about athletes losing careers over complications from COVID.

These guys play football, every snap they take could be career ender.

Using COVID as a possible career ender is really stretching it.

Sure take a Little Google Search about the lasting affects of this disease.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

This is worth repeating. People and families come before football. If he plays, great! If he has reservations for any reason, do what’s best for you and yours. 

It's crazy that this even needs to be said, but it does for some.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I mostly agree.  Where this gets tough is with how wildly different people view this virus.  

I own a business and for damn sure am in the office during all this if my employees are here.  Lead by example is the strongest form of leadership, IMO.   

I understand the parallel between being a business owner and a player within an organization isn’t the most apt comparison, but as a leader (which Tre is) I do see some cross over.   

Again, if he’s high risk, has family that’s high risk... totally get it and would never question.   For his reasons, I also get it, but I can’t lie and say my view of him in that locker room doesn’t fade just a tiny bit.  I’d support him, Id welcome him back with open arms and I would never criticize, but deep down, if I’m on the team and he comes back in a leadership role.... it’s going to take me a minute to accept that. 

So if your Family loses someone to COVID that isnt going to affect your choice.  Because Tre did.  Hell even Singletary knows, she stated I am not in a position to opt out.  Meaning I dont have enough money in the bank to support the family a year before getting a paycheck again.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SWATeam said:

What's your point with this repeated nonsense?

Breaking news, those that generate millions are afforded extra privilege.  Shocking stuff.

point is we shouldn’t care either way.  All this public posturing by players on social media (“I’ll let y’all know my decision soon”, etc) is just that.  It’s tone deaf.   If you opt out, fine—do what’s best for you, the game will go on without you.  If you play—that’s great too.  

Just choose and be done with it as most every other player has done so far.  Hand in the paper.  

Fans have real problems/struggles/issues during the pandemic.  They are dying for football to distract them.  This player drama is just that.  It’s privilege that almost none of them can relate to so why keep putting it out there?

who cares?  Get on with it.  

7 minutes ago, Mango said:

You are right, and those people should take that up with their employer and/or elected officials. Not Tre or other players who do have the option. 

lol I can’t think of an employer who is just waiting for someone to bring that up!

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Exactly.  Any criticism of Tre boils down to jealousy.  Those criticizing him don’t have the ability to take a year off and still be a multimillionaire.  Why should someone who has created that kind of leverage listen to someone who hasn’t?  If he needs career advice,  he’s got an agent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

So if your Family loses someone to COVID that isnt going to affect your choice.  Because Tre did

Half of my family is in medicine and, not coincidentally, half of my family has gotten COVID. Currently my niece, one year old, has a fever and just got tested yesterday because my sister has it.

I get it, it’s tough when it hits close to home.  But I also find comfort in knowing that my family (all either young or in good shape) should be ok.  

I don’t go near my grandparents right now because I’m at work and have clients who come in and know that whether it’s COVID or any respiratory virus, that my grandparents would be put in danger should I pass it to them, with them being in their 80’s.   

I feel awful that Tre went through that and is going through this process of having to make a decision with a deadline, but I also know the statistics and facts surrounding all respiratory viruses, including COVID.  That’s why I feel ok being in my 30’s and out and about while being cautious.  That’s also why I haven’t seen my grandparents since this all started. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Half of my family is in medicine and, not coincidentally, half of my family has gotten COVID. Currently my niece, one year old, has a fever and just got tested yesterday because my sister has it.

I get it, it’s tough when it hits close to home.  But I also find comfort in knowing that my family (all either young or in good shape) should be ok.  

I don’t go near my grandparents right now because I’m at work and have clients who come in and know that whether it’s COVID or any respiratory virus, that my grandparents would be put in danger should I pass it to them, with them being in their 80’s.   

I feel awful that Tre went through that and is going through this process of having to make a decision with a deadline, but I also know the statistics and facts surrounding all respiratory viruses, including COVID.  That’s why I feel ok being in my 30’s and out and about while being cautious.  That’s also why I haven’t seen my grandparents since this all started. 

Ok so how can you be cautious when you have Physical Contact breathing all over players from other teams, it isnt like they are going to be wearing masks under their helmet or staying 6Ft away from eachother

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok so how can you be cautious when you have Physical Contact breathing all over players from other teams, it isnt like they are going to be wearing masks under their helmet or staying 6Ft away from eachother

You have to trust that all 32 teams are taking this seriously and that the guy you're lining up across from has been in a facility that is safeguarded, led by an organization that is on top of this and has tested negative prior to the game.   

Edited by SCBills