Tre White decides not to opt out, everyone is beside themselves with excitement because we're all in need of any small nugget of good news these days. Who wants a drink?

Logic

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Are that many people attacking him?  Most Twitter takes I see, along with posters here have been pretty respectful.  Even those who aren’t thrilled about his potential decision are being pretty tame, IMO.  

Head on over to the CJ Mosley takes from Jets fans if you want to see anger. 

It's in vogue to be a victim these days. 

2 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Is he playing a victim though?  I'm sure most people are saying they support him, but I'm sure there are a ton of idiots out there attacking him because he is thinking about playing football.  Even if it's "just" 500 or 1,000 people who are saying negative things towards him, that's still A LOT of people being jackasses!  I'd be willing to be that number is a lot higher than 1,000 people too...I'd be pretty upset if I had hundreds or thousands of strangers saying some probably pretty awful things to me just because I was thinking about not playing a game

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Is he playing a victim though?  I'm sure most people are saying they support him, but I'm sure there are a ton of idiots out there attacking him because he is thinking about playing football.  Even if it's "just" 500 or 1,000 people who are saying negative things towards him, that's still A LOT of people being jackasses!  I'd be willing to be that number is a lot higher than 1,000 people too...I'd be pretty upset if I had hundreds or thousands of strangers saying some probably pretty awful things to me just because I was thinking about not playing a game

Do you really care what people think about you...especially people you don't know?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Unfortunately for Tre and other players in this situation, that sort of reaction from a certain percentage of the fan base is to be expected. It would be naive to be surprised by it. Obviously not everyone feels that way, but it’s typically a vocal minority. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Of course he is.  Read his twitter.  Poor me, most people support me but i'll single out a few bad ones and play victim.  It's the life of a public figure.  You're gonna get a lot of support and a few haters.  Be a man and deal with it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just take the phrase “ he is putting family first” out of it. 

are all the other players with kids not putting family first? Is McD being a selfish douche not putting family first? 

how bout the press and fans come out say “ man, I respect the hell out of Matt Barkley , he is putting family first and decided to not opt out” ....

I have no problem with it. I think they are all putting their family first. That will mean different things to different people. 

He is opting out after that tweet. 

56 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

how does opting out help any leverage next year. It doesn’t if anything what it does is show how much of a talent he is in a very DB friendly McD Secondary system. 

I mean, Levi Wallace was absolutely abused at times last year. I wouldn’t be so confident in the next man up. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

We had tweets from some of the Bills reporters, like say Matt Parrino, putting him on a pedestal saying “that’s the kind of father I want to be”... which on one hand, I get it... but I’ll admit that I immediately thought about all the other fathers on our team who opted in reading opinions like that, and I don’t think it makes them any less of a father.  

I think these are valid points.  I think we have a lot of guys who are good fathers and love their kids, and they’re not less so for playing.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect Tre’s right to make the decision he’s contractually allowed to make, but I agree it shouldn’t come with a pedestal.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just take the phrase “ he is putting family first” out of it. 

are all the other players with kids not putting family first? Is McD being a selfish douche not putting family first? 

how bout the press and fans come out say “ man, I respect the hell out of Matt Barkley , he is putting family first and decided to not opt out” ....

Thank you.  These arguments have devolved into this idea that it's EITHER "safety, health, family" OR you are just a selfish jerk who only cares about money.

Last time I checked, it takes money to support a family.  And not every job can be done from home.  

When you see citizens petitioning the government to re-open the economy, it's not because they are upset Billy Joe's Restaurant isn't serving their favorite pancakes each morning.  They are upset because Billy Joe is going to lose the business that he poured his life savings into.

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, hemma said:

I agree with eball; I guess I don't see how a home with an additional adult  that kind-of-mostly-stays-at-home, makes children safer.

Doesn't smell right and I still have my sense of smell.

Eh, I ain’t judging.  Maybe he feels if he stays home with a small family circle in LA, that’s safer than being in a building every day with 150 of his closest friends, plus slamming into people 60x a game.  

He may not be correct, because such circles are only as safe as the “most outgoing” person in them (ask Von Miller), but people see it different ways.

Personally, I’d sell my ‘nads in a heartbeat to get every caregiver coming into the residence where my mom lives tested every day.

Tre is way too sensitive to comments he sees on the internet. He's done this before. The guy needs to realize that every fan base has idiots. And the internet is filled with trolls who feel comfortable saying stupid **** hiding behind a keyboard. Doesn't represent the group as a whole. 

Just ignore them...

2 hours ago, Putin said:

I hope he sits out a year and we win a SB without him !!!

ps - would he still get a ring ? 

Super Bowl - are you serious?

This season will be like no other ever before it.  If there are enough teams still playing, they likely will hold a "championship" type game but it would hardly compare to an actual Super Bowl.

31 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Yeah.  For example a lot of posters on this board feel victimized by grown men they’ve never met choosing not to play football because they feel it isn’t in the best interest of their families.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Honestly, who doesn't "put their family first"? We're hardwired as humans to do that. That said, the reason why any of these players chooses to opt out is irrelevant. They don't need fan approval. This is their right based on what was collectively bargained for between the union and the owners. If fans have a problem with it, they should take it up with the NFL rather than attacking the players. It's misplaced anger and nobody really knows these guys or their individual family situations. Will it suck if Tre opts out? Of course, but it's his right and his call to do what he feels is necessary/best. That should be the end of it. This is not a normal year and there is still a chance that this season either gets shut down or severely curtailed. Perspective and a little empathy go a long way in life.

GO BILLS!!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, zman44 said:

Well this stupid take didn’t age well.

I actually don’t understand now, Tre.  I think the risk to your kids is very very small and you can mitigate it.

Very sorry for your girlfriend’s loss though, and do understand if your family situation makes you want to spend time with your mom and other older relatives you couldn’t if you football this year.  And really, it’s your decision and you don’t need to defend it.

Football is kinda “bigger than life” to folks, which is why you make millions to be “Take Away Tre” and I only made (at best) hundred thou’s for a pretty demanding job developing drugs and vaccines to save people’s lives - a job that required >10 years of higher education (meanwhile living on peanuts) to qualify for.  That tweet is coming from a place of privilege that Fan veneration of football enables and supports, so one might want to consider that.  Lots of loving moms and dads putting their lives on the line every day in the medical profession and my former colleagues putting on tunnel vision to work towards a vaccine.  None of them have the option to stay home, which is kind of a place some fans are coming from.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have no problem with it. I think they are all putting their family first. That will mean different things to different people. 

He is opting out after that tweet. 

Sounds that way

1 minute ago, teef said:

i'm going to be kinda surprised if he opts out.  i shouldn't be, but why take it to the last minute?  i'm sure he knows by now.

At a guess from that tweet, maybe Tre’ wants to play and his girlfriend/mom of his kids is very uncomfortable with that due to her experience losing a close family member.

28 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

Of course he is.  Read his twitter.  Poor me, most people support me but i'll single out a few bad ones and play victim.  It's the life of a public figure.  You're gonna get a lot of support and a few haters.  Be a man and deal with it.

I don’t understand why any public figure does social media.

• Like (+1) 1